Siddiston - Club diorama and permanent home layout in one

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Alexander Court

Re: Siddiston - Club diorama and permanent home layout in one

Postby Alexander Court » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:07 pm

Stewart Gethin wrote:New track plan looks great! Reminds me of one of the stations along the Strathspey Preserved railway, Boat Of Garten. (Really suggest this Railway, and a beautiful walk in the woods at Boat of Garten.)

Keep up the good work.

Stew.

Just checked out their site and it looks like a really lovely line :D

It's great to think that my ideas of "just put track where it looks like it should be/looks good and will work and reminds me of a railway" are roughly accurate to somewhere in complete coincidence.

Thanks for the praise, hope to have the vid i promised on over the next few days. :D

Alex

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:11 pm

manormadman wrote:Nice looking layout. What area/space are you using?
Cheers Seb

Well the diorama is currently on a coffee table while being built, It's in the kitchen of the flat I'm living in, but the whole layout is designed to fit in a spare room because we're planning on moving to a bigger flat in future which will have a spare room that i can build the layout in. Hence why I thought i might be able to squeeze a 9 or 10 foot board along the longest wall. I'm sure plans will change when i get somewhere new to live but it might take a while for that to happen.

Thanks, Alex

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"

manormadman

Postby manormadman » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:12 pm

Thanks.
Seb
Cheers Seb
:D

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:14 pm

manormadman wrote:Thanks.
Seb

Your Welcome, Alex.

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:49 pm

When I returned from my gf's mums I decided to take my left over track and see if I could make the newer track plan for the permanent part of the layout. After running out of right handed turnouts i realized that the new track plan made the layout size too big (it was a long way from the edge of the board to the back of the board) and i wouldn't be able to reach the station if i was operating the layout. So I slightly changed the track plan which still has the large double track station stretch which has a large run round loop. However the sidings have been changed so that there are 4 and they line up.

This may sound very confusing, but do not despair for I will get pictures and thus solve the problem by displaying exactly what I have just described, and then some.

Thanks, Alex.

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:52 pm

So this is how the Track Plan for the permanent part of the layout turned out. This makes it a preserved line that has two platforms, with a run around, 2 coach sidings, and a 2 road engine shed/ sidings which have a small run around loop which helps with shunting coaches and getting trains from the back of the shed to the front of the shed.

So what do you think? :P

Thanks, Alex.

Stewart Gethin

Postby Stewart Gethin » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:23 pm

To me that plan looks fine. But wouldn't it be sensible to have a headshunt running along the main line there? Just a suggestion. ;)

Keep up the good planning/work. :D

Stew.
Please take a look at both my layouts:
My layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28240
My 5" Gauge layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=29058

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:56 pm

Stewart Gethin wrote:To me that plan looks fine. But wouldn't it be sensible to have a headshunt running along the main line there? Just a suggestion. ;)

Keep up the good planning/work. :D

Stew.

Hmm I never actually thought of the trouble I would have operationally If i were to shunt the coaches, Now that I think about it it seems like a good idea. I only have a broken left hand turnout left so i will have a play around and see what i can come up with. Are there any good pictures on the net anywhere of preserved railway track layouts, because on all the sites i go on they don't really give much insight into how the location and track-work is laid out/organised.

Thanks for the suggestion :D

Alex

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:55 pm

Finally and at last here is the video of Siddiston that i promised. It's kinda shabby but I did it after a night of no sleep.

Hope you enjoy :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF-HdAu5N8E

Comments and Feedback welcome and much appreciated :)

Thanks, Alex.

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:34 pm

So I went to the Wexford Model Railway Exhibition on Easter Sunday which was great and I bought a triang white insulfish wagon and a triang blue circle cement tanker which i am very happy with my purchase of.

While I was out today I located a suitable piece of wood in a garden centre/hardware store out near the aldi's heading South out of wexford town. The wood might not be an ideal choice because it is not mdf or ply but it is wood and it is roughly the right size to build something on so i shall have to save up to purchase the board. However there was nothing to tell me the price of the board and i had no time to ask for assisstance. So that looks better then.

My mother might be sending me some money in a few weeks as a late christmas present (the last money she tried to send just before christmas as a present never turned up in my bank account :( i was going to use it to go see MCR in Dublin) and i will hopefully be getting the new railroad class 33, a sodor scrap co wagon as they look very pretty :P and old slow coach so i will have a three coach train. Still I am desperately short of coaching stock and money, having spent pretty much the last of my railway savings (a big jar full of pennies) on dinner for tonight as we ran out of food a day early.

Don't you just hate when life and poverty get in the way of building a layout.

Alex

(Edit: In fact i think i might use the money to buy a baseboard and order ballast, by a syringe and pva and a brush etc etc so i can get the big board sorted)

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”