Siddiston - Club diorama and permanent home layout in one

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Alexander Court

Siddiston - Club diorama and permanent home layout in one

Postby Alexander Court » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:45 am

Hello, my name is Alex and I am 18 living in Wexford, Ireland. I am a steam and railway enthusiast, a fan of the railway series and I have a model railway collection.

First off I'd like to say that in the past i have had several failed attempts at buildings layouts, mainly due to time and resources and lack of funds.
Secondly, I'm also a complete beginner in modeling, I have no experience but I have plenty of ideas. However I also suffer from clumsiness and the ability to kick half a train load of wagons off the rails by accident.(because i have a train set set up on the floor in my tiny flat).

Siddiston is the combination of a layout I am currently building as a diorama for the Lower George Street Model Railway Club to which I belong (because I am the chairman and co-founder) and a permanent home layout. There are only two other members, and one of them is in England. Lawrie Rose has several home layouts which make up a collection which is ever expanding and he is constantly showing off when we have our international online club meetings. Siddiston is constructed on a 139 cm x 20 cm piece of wood i found in the back yard of the building my flat is in when i was putting out the bins and spotted it. I have constantly changed plans but now it has been settled and i have begun building the layout.

The layout will be a U shape when finished with a detachable section that is Siddiston station diorama board.I will have to find a way to get images on to here of the plan and some pictures which show progress so far, but alas I have no idea how to post my pictures.

If anyone is actually interested i will explain more and probably with the help of the pictures.

Alex.

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"

jamest

Re: Siddiston - Club diorama and permanent home layout in one

Postby jamest » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:02 pm

Hi Alex,

Welcome to the forum - looking forward to seeing your progress.

I'm sure there are some instructions on the forum about re-sizing and posting photos.

Cheers,
James

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:09 pm

jamest wrote:Hi Alex,

Welcome to the forum - looking forward to seeing your progress.

I'm sure there are some instructions on the forum about re-sizing and posting photos.

Cheers,
James

Hey James,

Thanks for the warm welcome, couldn't find any instructions but making a video that I will be posting on youtube and then linking it to this thread.

WIll be uploading in about a week when I have the computer back with the film on it.

Thanks, Alex :)

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"

jamest

Postby jamest » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:04 pm

Try looking here for the photobucket style uplaod:

http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=29140&p=386303&hilit=UPLOADING+PHOTOS#p386303

Hope the link works!

Cheers,
James

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:27 pm

jamest wrote:Try looking here for the photobucket style uplaod:

Hope the link works!

Cheers,
James

Hey James,

Thanks so much, came in real handy and now I present some pictures of Siddiston. I think...

The track plan:

The set up:

Shunting, as Stepney has brought in a local passanger train and shunted into formation a mixed goods:

Hope the images look good, kinda shoddy workmanship. Hope it gives an idea of what the layout will be like.

I will give more of the story and info about the layout in the next post.

Thanks, Alex.

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:25 pm

So here is something I wrote up explaining a little of the story behind 'Siddiston':

After a lot of deliberation I had decided I was going to design a new layout. I had recently been planning a large layout that would be located in the kitchen of my flat which would be a double track loop design but not having any baseboard material I had decided to wait. After this I was putting out the bins when I saw a piece of MDF that looked a suitable size. I returned to measure the piece (which turned out to be approx. 139cm x 20cm) and using software on my laptop I came up with a design I was happy with. The layout would be a diorama for the Lower George Street Model Railway Club.

A few days later I went down into the yard at the rear of the building which the flat I live in is in and took the brush from the dustpan and brush set I have and brushed all the dirt and dust off of the board until it was clean. Next I brought the board up to the flat and loaded up the design I had in mind on the laptop.

I then took up the twin loop layout that had previously been taking up a large amount of floor space and boxed up the trains and rolling stock that had been used with it. After this I then swept the floor, put the board down and set to work.

At first I put the track down with the station and lined it up to make sure I had enough room. When I had decided it was at last in the right position (a perfect fit I might add) I drew round the track with a pencil so I knew, if the track moved, where the line was. Then I tested my Hornby ‘Thomas’ on it because he is the most temperamental of all my locomotives and decided where I would place the power points. Once that was done I took some pictures to record the progress.

Once all this was done I decided that I needed to find a name and location for the station on the layout. While the track plan is a simple run around loop it is intended to be a small terminus station for the far end of a preserved railway that will be interconnected with a permanent home layout which has the rest of the preserved line on. I decided to call the diorama layout ‘Siddiston’ and that it was able to be located anywhere on any region. There is not much room to model anything like a village scene and more of the wider landscape will be on the permanent section which will include an HQ of a preserved line and perhaps a few other buildings.

Once the layout was stenciled onto the layout by means of a pencil, the track and a wide vocabulary of expletives, I knew where the track and station were to go and set about spray painting the board grey where needed. I am no good at ballasting and skint and have no materials so no plans yet for ballasting. It took a while to spray paint and i just managed it on what i had with a spare half can of spray paint. Alas I did not have a well ventilated area to do it as the windows in my flat's kitchen are sealed shut so I experienced headaches caused by the fumes nut it was worth it.

This done, I used some poly cement i had spare to glue down some track in the right place. The track pins I had refused to go into whatever the board is made of and so this was the only option. Not a cheap one as the poly cement cost 7 euros.

With this done I set up the layout how i wanted it to look again once more and operated it for a little bit but only a few operations could be done as I have no fiddleyard or extending boards to offer room to run trains.

Now the track needs to be finished being glued and more scenery must be obtained.

kennyGWSR

Postby kennyGWSR » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:57 pm

nice layout alex, it looks as though it has a lot of potential. keep up the good work.
60089 Felstead :)
Layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=33128
Rail photos: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=28381

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:04 pm

kennyGWSR wrote:nice layout alex, it looks as though it has a lot of potential. keep up the good work.

Thanks, your compliments really do mean a lot to me, so thank you very much, i hope my next video about my layout will be to peoples taste :D

In the meantime here is a video from the planning stages of some operation with my terrier 'Brighton', note that the track layout has changed slightly ;)

http://youtu.be/OwCquygknCQ

Dragonfly

Postby Dragonfly » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:31 pm

Looking good. I like the delicate coupling-up manoeuvre. :-P

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:52 pm

Dragonfly wrote:Looking good. I like the delicate coupling-up manoeuvre. :-P

if you mean slam it backwards into the coaches? reminds me of the rough treatment James the red engine gave his coaches before the break in the brake pipe of one of his coaches that had to be mended with a leather bootlace.

Have you seen any other of my videos about my trains? they are well not great but ok :L:L Thanks for the praise.

StevieDay

Postby StevieDay » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:24 pm

I loved the video Alex. Your train driver, is he drunk? When he went round the passing loop, hooked up to carriages & charged off towards the buffers......... Did he realise he was going the wrong way? :lol: :lol: :lol
Regards,
Steve

My Layout;- Rayne St, Fictional N-Gauge Layout viewtopic.php?t=30856

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:59 pm

StevieDay wrote:I loved the video Alex. Your train driver, is he drunk? When he went round the passing loop, hooked up to carriages & charged off towards the buffers......... Did he realise he was going the wrong way? :lol: :lol: :lol

i may have been drunk whilst making this video, i honestly can't remember, and the buffer stop was at that end for protection but looking at it again it does seem rather odd that he would slam back into the coaches and head full steam into buffers. I'm not sure the driver knew where he was going, a bit like when they hijack the train off the turntable in 'The Titfield Thunderbolt'.

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:43 pm

So I've been thinking a lot and watching a lot of videos and looking at many pictures of places and layouts, all in the hope of trying to solve a problem. Because of where i currently live I can only build the diorama and with too much time on my hands I keep on trying to find a better track plan for the end that will be permanent. The issue being that if it is a preserved line it would have many sidings for stock it has no room for and the old track plan was too tightly packed for the look I imagined, and although with this new track plan i have come up with i do lose a lot of length, I don't mind so much. This changed layout also allows me to have two platforms, so more operation can be included with a schedule of trains. So here is a picture that shows the layout as it would be with the changed trackplan, the bluey purpley bit is the siddiston diorama board and the black is the floor space. The layout will be stretched to 9 or 10 ft on the permanent section instead of how it was before which was short and cramped, so hopefully when we get a new place it'll have a spare bedroom/railway room.

Any thoughts?

Stewart Gethin

Postby Stewart Gethin » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:45 pm

New track plan looks great! Reminds me of one of the stations along the Strathspey Preserved railway, Boat Of Garten. (Really suggest this Railway, and a beautiful walk in the woods at Boat of Garten.)

Keep up the good work.

Stew.
Please take a look at both my layouts:
My layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28240
My 5" Gauge layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=29058

manormadman

Postby manormadman » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:04 pm

Nice looking layout. What area/space are you using?
Cheers Seb
Cheers Seb
:D

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”