My N gauge layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Duncan83

My N gauge layout

Postby Duncan83 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:36 pm

Just afew pics of my N gauge layout to date. Been building it for the last 7 months now i think it is. I brought the board and track from a member on here called Dave and have changed his design, removed the inner line that was going to run over the hills and put a depot in place and added a level crossing.

Started work on the layout just over a year ago now.

Things moved on very quick once i had some funds after selling all my 00 gauge stock.

Over the next few months i have re designed area`s of the layout and have built a new hill section with a tunnel so there is access to the depot. I have never done anything like this before and im very happy with the way it worked out :D

Last edited by Duncan83 on Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

heda

Re: My N gauge layout

Postby heda » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:01 pm

As the seller of the original layout I am very impressed at the progress that you've made, also glad you've kept the tunnels, I quite like them !

I'll have a look and see if I have a picture of the layout when I sold it to you.

Dave

Duncan83

Postby Duncan83 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:46 pm

Just an update. Been busy over the past few months doing lots of bits on the layout. I now have street lights and building lights working and look really good.

Just some pics of what they look like

:D

ASFC

Postby ASFC » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:18 pm

Wow...didn't spot this before!

Impressive set up you have there, particularly your street scene. :)

Mat.
My New N gauge layout thread 'Chinley': viewtopic.php?f=22&t=41038

My Old N gauge layout thread 'Ollerton': viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32899

Duncan83

Postby Duncan83 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:21 am

Thanks Mat. Been working hard on the layout for the past few months and its been well worth it.
:D

Duncan83

Postby Duncan83 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:29 am

Hill sections now complete with better looking trees and a new mound has been build in front of my loco depot.

Duncan83

Postby Duncan83 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:25 pm

Just an update, be good to get some feed back on this.

I have rebuilt a corner section, this really opens up the layout and looks really good. First new brick card was put down for the yard then i scratch built a new unit and glued to the MDF.

wales01man

Postby wales01man » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:32 pm

Great layout ive been working on my nlayout for 4 moths now hope i can get the scenery looking that good any tips?

Duncan83

Postby Duncan83 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:39 pm

Hiya.

With my layout I sit there for some time looking at what I would like and start checking out pictures on line to get idea`s. Once I have seen what i would like todo I start building. Using Polystyrene is a fab way to mould and glueing news paper with PVA glue works so well. Using scatter works really well and patting down helps it stick well.

Building wise Jeff of ebay is a top bloke to buy pre built buildings, once they arrive i put backs on them and add afew extras to them, I have also built some of my own buildings bassed on his design.

Any other info drop me a message.

Duncan :D

Duncan83

Postby Duncan83 » Wed May 01, 2013 9:46 pm

Wow its been some time since my last post and the layout has been through some huge changes over the last year or so

The layout is now back in the garage and a dehumidifier is working well on keeping any damp at bay.

Now its back out in the garage its given me the chance todo much needed work on the layout. My signals are all up and running and I have another 5 on there way to me.

I have tried something new that I have never done before and thats building chalk cliff faces, I used polyfiller and spread it across the old front of my old cliff faces and once dried looks really good. This gave me a chance to re-design all the hills and trees by removing all the old grass scatter and putting down sheet grass that I think looks much better. There is still some work todo on the cliff faces.

My new rolling stock runs very well but the inside line needs some work as im only getting power half way round

Anyway hope you enjoy the pics

Duncan83

Postby Duncan83 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:12 pm

Happy new year all

Well its been some time since I last posted on here as not on this forum much.

I have moved and the layout is now in a new shed so lots of space.

Right anyway only one shift at work this week spent some time with the wife whats been great but progress on the layout is going very well. The last section on boarding is up and I have made a start on the hill section right at the end so there will be a tunnel entrance both sides and two Double bridges that will join the sections together.

In the middle of both sections will be the river, I hope to have tugs and barges in a docking area maybe for a cement factory that Im planing.

I now have two new sidings for the cement factory that run off platform 3 both main lines platform 1 and 2 will run over the bridge with some points just before the bridge so platform 3 and the sidings can join the main line.
Right anyway only one shift at work this week spent some time with the wife whats been great but progress on the layout is going very well. The last section on boarding is up and I have made a start on the hill section right at the end so there will be a tunnel entrance both sides and two Double bridges that will join the sections together.

In the middle of both sections will be the river, I hope to have tugs and barges in a docking area maybe for a cement factory that Im planing.

I now have two new sidings for the cement factory that run off platform 3 both main lines platform 1 and 2 will run over the bridge with some points just before the bridge so platform 3 and the sidings can join the main line.
Progress has been made over the last few weeks on the layout. I have nearly finished the gravel yard I was building. All the buildings have been built from scratch using card and printed brick sheets, Im really happy with the way they have come out as some bits where tricky todo.

Im looking around for some good tall yard lights togo into the gravel depot so if anyone can think of any that would help me out.

My first Kato bridge arrived in black from"TrainTrax" very quick and a good price I have to say, saved me waiting for weeks to arrive from Japan So this has given me the chance to move onto my final section of the layout. The kato bridge really does add some good detail to the layout and I hope the river and walk way under it looks just as good.

I have also started to lay my road structure and I have planned that I will run a bridge from the station platform over a path that cuts through my new hill section and down onto the bus stop.

Here are some pics of my progress

ImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”