Brookes Castle Shed - NEW VIDEOS

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
siquelme

Brookes Castle Shed - NEW VIDEOS

Postby siquelme » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:10 pm

Hey

I am restarting my layout after making the biggest mistake you can make when modelling and thats rushing in without much planning and attempting to do to much.

Planning on building a simple small engine shed depot where i can display my models and have some simple operations.

Not sure on the location of the serving center and lighting positions

Advice/suggestions would be appreacted and very welcome :x
Last edited by siquelme on Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:16 pm, edited 27 times in total.
Great Western Modeller for my sins
My Blog http://brookescastle.blogspot.com/

Gronk

Re: Brookes Castle depot

Postby Gronk » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:52 pm

For such a simple plan, I would consider using Flexitrack rather than Setrack...

siquelme

Postby siquelme » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:25 pm

Yea just used simple track as a rough guide on the old track plan layouts so i can get a feel of what i could realistically achieve

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:25 pm

With a water tower and coaling stage this must be a steam shed, so where's the ash drop? I'd swap round the water tower and coaling stage or be crafty and use a combined one where the tank is the roof of the stage. Put in a short stub siding from the centre outlet of the turntable, to allow a couple of coal wagons to be dragged in by a shunter. To gain some extra operational action extend the line at the front to a second cassette. The flow through the depot then becomes, arrive on rear road, stop at ashdrop, proceed via turntable to shed. Leave shed via turntable, turn as appropriate for next train, stop at coaling stage, take on coal and water, exit to other cassette.
Just a thought like :)

I'll be gettin' me coat then :roll:
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

siquelme

Postby siquelme » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:49 pm

Those are some really good ideas

I was looking at the bachmann scenecraft coaling stage

But I am unsure as the ramp needed to get the locomotive and trucks to that level would mean there would only been limited places it could fit on my layout.

Your ash drop place is a really good point and will def attempt to include that on my layout and also the second cassette idea

Terrier

Postby Terrier » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:48 pm

Nice and interesting idea forming there, i wondered if there is room or it would be effective to add a short stretch of raisedsiding, for the coal drop, sort of up on it's own embankment, and also maybe leading out to another cassette, on the diagram, would be below the place you have planed for the main cassette? probably over complicate it, but looks like this will be a nice project and so will follow this one. :)

siquelme

Postby siquelme » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:16 pm

Attempt 2

I have added a bit of width for this attempt in order to create some more space to run a coal drop on the side.

Plan so far is locomotives (After a hard days work) enter via cassette 1 and head towards the ash plant (will need to do some research into this which should be fun :/ espically with my GWR theme) and once they have got rid of the ash they head towards the turnable and go the sheds. The sheds wil have some inspection pits of day to maintance etc. When the locos need to get ready for a days work they go back onto the turntable and go to the coal drop which has a water tower built in.. to birds there and then head off to the main line via cassette 2. Should have some operational fun will add more sidings just depends on what my work on ash drops turns up.

Thanks for your help guys

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:59 pm

Some possibilities there but (without having looked at too many MPD plans) I think the coaling stage would be on a through road, to avoid a log jam when they were all going out at the start of day. Perhaps the siding for the coal drop could always come in from the end already at a higher level.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

siquelme

Postby siquelme » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:55 pm

Research into Ash drop is going well so that will show in my next layout attempt

I was looking into the coal drops by the looks of what i can see they had a small lenght of trak as a through road. I was thinking about putting a Y point at the top with two sidings one for full trucks one for empties but i dont know if that is two much into small of an area. Will have a play in a bit.

Thanks for your help and advice bufferstop

siquelme

Postby siquelme » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:42 am

Attempt 3

Have incorporated a few more ideas into the layout and move a few things around. From my research the GWR ash plants were pretty much just drop it into a few 3ft pit and then the ash crew (who were paid by the ton) would shovel it into speical ash wagons in the next siding across. Should give the layout some more opertaional fun and doesnt mean i have to have a huge ash plant like the LNER and LMS had.

Added to sidings on the top of the embankment after the coal drop one for empties and one for fulls so can have a little bit of shunting up there.

Current fleet of locomotives are

5042 Winchester Castle
1016 County of Hants
6029 King Stephen
6600 56xx (At the moment this is ear marked as my depot workhorse but going to do some more research to see if i can find a more appreacite locomotive for the job)

siquelme

Postby siquelme » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:41 pm

Attempt 4

Final layout decided pretty happy with the way it looks now

There will be simple retaining walls around three of the sides with the front exposed. The enterance will be a simple bridge which leads to the one cassette. I got rid of the second one to make things simpler and moved the ash pits to the bottom corner as they were usually out of the way due to how messy they were. Added some crew huts and office buildings to use some of the space but trying to leave some open spaces in order to show off the locomotives which is the main purpose of the layout. Things like the yard lights and crew playing will decide depending on how things like in real life.

Construction will begin towards the end of the month currently thinking about scratch building my engine shed as i aint a real fan of some of the current ones.

Dragonfly

Postby Dragonfly » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:22 pm

Looking good!

My one concern is the sidings behind the coal drop... they're not going to be very long; at most you'll get two trucks in each... Is that what you're aiming for?

I realise there's not a lot you can really do about that, given the space available, but thought I should mention it.
=Doug
| Dragonfly | Current projects: Kidneston (00) / Clatter (N) / Much Oakley (N) / Workbench |

siquelme

Postby siquelme » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:38 pm

Yea 4 trucks was my aim as they will have to fit into the cassette.

kennyGWSR

Postby kennyGWSR » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:37 pm

i like the plan! i think a pannier tank could be used as the shunter. or maybe an 0-4-0st like at didcot. hope this helps!
60089 Felstead :)
Layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=33128
Rail photos: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=28381

siquelme

Postby siquelme » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:46 pm

I was thinking of either a Bachmann 57xx Pannier or a Lima 94xx (modified)

Looking forward to getting the project rolling :)

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”