Layout of the year 2010 last week to nominate!!!

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
champion

Re: Layout of the year 2010

Postby champion » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:17 am

Many layouts have really simply put mine in the shade and some inspire you to try and do better.
Simply NSEDaz shaftsbury and ex barham rd by ark royal inspired me from my n-00 gauge change over.
Chris for old warren in n gauge now truly lit up and shows what can be done in this scale and one truly amazing layout to detail that always springs to mind is jims birmingham new st in p4.
This of course takes nothing away from all other layouts as it was,nt for you sharing them we cant injoy them and thanks go to you modellers out there for doing so.
richard.
D1011 western thunderer.
Fav loco class 52 Western
R.I.P Old oak common
Layout Old oak common hydraulic heydays its future in the balance.

sishades

Postby sishades » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:24 am

For a layout to be called "Layout of the year" it has to offer something unique, a demonstration of the modellers skills, and abilities but above all a realistic perspective with an attention to detail like no other. So much so that it can be mistaken for the real thing when photographed. Two immediately spring to mind and the first one is Jims New Street layout. What makes this exceptional is that it is also being modelled in P4, not the easiest of scales to work with. Jims work has also been published in a national magazine (Model Rails Big Picture) a few months back. Jims attention to detail borders on the obsessive, his trolley immediately springs to mind. Unlike the rest of us, Jim will plan each photograph down to the smallest detail ensuring that the lighting is perfect and camera positions are important...his tunnel shots reflecting the incredible detail in an area that is rarely seen.

Moving on to the next layout, it is Andrews layout called Grotland. With this layout Andrew has like Jim above made me go "F~~~ hell " when viewing his pictures. It is not just the trains but the buildings which are the stand out feature of this superb layout. One could almost be walking down an old Scottish street, looking up into the sky and seeing Andrews face and knowing who God is. Every picture shows something new from which his skills as a master modeller are in evidence.

Thirdly, Dave Bentleys layout stands out ( yes I know I said two but that was ten minutes ago) and has been a regular on the exhibition circuit for a while now and it is not difficult to see why.

Other layouts that I enjoy looking at are Ely Bridge, Frankland, Cramdin Yard (also published) and many others. Also anything by LMSRAIL.
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again

Pevensey Flyer

Postby Pevensey Flyer » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:27 pm

Bit of a cop out I know but I love them all. From the good,bad and down right ugly they are all the works of enthusiasts trying their best to do what they can with what they have available.

PF

dagenham

Postby dagenham » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:01 pm

hi ya guys
i would like to put forward and nominate
hammersmith central
birmingham new street in p4
and also nse making a start
from peter

35011 GSN

Postby 35011 GSN » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:07 pm

ok, this is a pretty hard choice so here goes:

the layout that has changed the most over the year in my opinion is: KennyGWSRs EMRHR - its moved from boards to a fixed loft layout, the variety in his collection of stock is perhaps unmatched on here

the layout that most recently inspired me to come out of modelling hibernation was Mightys loft layout, just wow

scenic inspiration ideas came from looking at NSE Daz's layout, again excellent

Littlenobbys Port Erth is going to be one to watch, excellent things are happening there

retro's ELY Bridge really conveys a nice rail atmosphere

Barham Rd showed modelling in a small space excellently

T&Cs Castle Cross gives the impression of a real "fun factor" which we often lose, so dont lose that ben

however if i were to pick a best layout of 2010... 2nd place I would have tom92240s Whimsey Hill, i just love it

coming out overall however, I would have Mattmay05s Horsted keynes

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:45 pm

Yes - I knew there was one I missed off my list - Mighty's 00 Loft Layout - thanks for giving it a mention 35011 GSN.

champion

Postby champion » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:15 pm

Like me in missing one for shear weathering of the loco fleet will have to be retromans ely bridge.Stunning.But again thanks for all layouts out there as they all deserve a thought.
richard.
D1011 western thunderer.
Fav loco class 52 Western
R.I.P Old oak common
Layout Old oak common hydraulic heydays its future in the balance.

50035 Ark Royal

Postby 50035 Ark Royal » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:14 pm

Yes Ely Bridge is stunning do not know how i missed it and plenty of Vacs :D
Also one i ve just got into Big Duncs Hammersmith Central love the First Great Western HST.
Totaly agree with Larry , Castle cross is defintely the most fun factor on here, a lot on here could learn a lot from Ben, Larry and Kenny who all have fun.
That is at the end of the day what Model Railways are all about.
Why not alter the rules and have several categories.
Best layout in p4
best in 00
best in HO ()European, overseas, American
Best fun layout in 00
Best sound layout in 00
Best in N
Best fun layout in N
Best 0 gauge
Best fun in O
Best Diesel era
Best Modern Image 66'S/ Voyagers, units etc
Best Steam( all the big four could be included)
Berst Garden layout
Just a few ideas, but the layout that inspired me to move from N to OO was Shafetsbury.
It is very hard as all layouts on here have thier merits.
Favourite Class Hoover (Class 50)
Fifty Alliance Member shares in 35/44/49
Favourite all time loco 50035 Ark Royal

kennyGWSR

Postby kennyGWSR » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:19 pm

thanks ian, that really means a lot to me, and im sure it will mean a lot to ben and larry too!
with those ideas ian, you could do a NRMF awards ceremony :D
anyway, i have totalled up the scores so far and outof the many nominations, 10 have gone through with 3 or more votes including grotland, bluebell model railway and shaftesbury, but there are another 2 weeks yet, so more will bound to be added! :)
kenny
60089 Felstead :)
Layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=33128
Rail photos: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=28381

BluePullman21

Postby BluePullman21 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:23 pm

There are many good layouts on here, but these are my favourite:

Shaftesbury (NSE DAZ) - this great layout has inspired me... :P
Old Warren TMD (cmeonthemove) - a great modern image layout :D
Birmingham New Street (Jim S-W) - the attention to detail on this layout is amazing 8)

Cheers
William

50035 Ark Royal

Postby 50035 Ark Royal » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:57 pm

kennyGWSR wrote:thanks ian, that really means a lot to me, and im sure it will mean a lot to ben and larry too!
anyway, i have totalled up the scores so far and outof the many nominations, 10 have gone through with 3 or more votes including grotland, bluebell model railway and shaftesbury, but there are another 2 weeks yet, so more will bound to be added! :)
kenny

Hi Kenny you are welcome i meant every word, and to add to that list Stewart Gethin and Ste 234's layouts all FUN running what they like and how they like.
Although probably not everyone would agree, but i think that is the main thing, have fun if it looks right to you it is. :D

kennyGWSR

Postby kennyGWSR » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:15 pm

50035 Ark Royal wrote:
kennyGWSR wrote:thanks ian, that really means a lot to me, and im sure it will mean a lot to ben and larry too!
kenny

Hi Kenny you are welcome i meant every word, and to add to that list Stewart Gethin and Ste 234's layouts all FUN running what they like and how they like.
Although probably not everyone would agree, but i think that is the main thing, have fun if it looks right to you it is. :D

i think its right for me anyway! :D
ill add whimsey hill, mighty's layout, port erth and wadebridge to mine too, beautiful layouts really!
60089 Felstead :)
Layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=33128
Rail photos: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=28381

50035 Ark Royal

Postby 50035 Ark Royal » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:26 pm

kennyGWSR wrote:
50035 Ark Royal wrote:
kenny

i think its right for me anyway! :D
ill add whimsey hill, mighty's layout, port erth and wadebridge to mine too, beautiful layouts really!

Not looked at the others but agree with you on Wadebridge realy lovely layout. :D

ste234

Postby ste234 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:38 pm

For me, it's got to be grotty Grotland, theres just something about it, don't get me wrong, New Street is absoloutley amazing/real railway modelling, but theres just something about Grotland that keeps me looking back...

Secondly, I think ElDavo's Waton, simply brilliant, and shows how much can be achieved in N gauge, same goes for Old Warren (cmeonthemove's layout), lit up like a christmas tree :mrgreen:

Considering this is the "New Railway Modellers Forum", there is some truly amazing work on here.

and to add to that list Stewart Gethin and Ste 234's layouts all FUN running what they like and how they like.

Mine is just pure madness :lol: :wink:
'Springfield', N gauge Modern Era Layout

Stewart Gethin

Postby Stewart Gethin » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:01 am

ste234 wrote:
and to add to that list Stewart Gethin and Ste 234's layouts all FUN running what they like and how they like.

Mine is just pure madness :lol: :wink:

Madness?!?!? MADNESS!?!?!?! WHAT MADNESS?!?!?! THIS IS SPARTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Ian for the praise for the layout.

Stew.
Please take a look at both my layouts:
My layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28240
My 5" Gauge layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=29058

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”