St David's Wells

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Lysander

St David's Wells

Postby Lysander » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:46 pm

A club layout, but one I have been building for some time with another member. Just the two of us, and no more that two-and-a-half hours a week either.......

The top end is now ready to photograph [but not finished]. I've posted a few shots for interest.

Main station, long enough for six coaches and a tender loco. It will shortly acquire passengers. The yard at the bottom right hand corner now has a dressed surface [sand and ballast, suitably dyed].

Station Road. Soon to be populated too, and will acquire roadsigns and - possibly - road markings. Mal's paving looking good here.

Station approach, after the long climb, with [brand new Bachmann] Pannier about to leave the bay.

I'll post more photos and progress allows. Hope you like 'em !

Tony
Last edited by Lysander on Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:28 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

Durseytu
Location: Trying to make progress on the layout... pigs will fly (hohoho)

Re: St David's Wells

Postby Durseytu » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:56 pm

Hi Tony,

Those photos look really good. You have certainly put in a lot of attention to detail there. The station looks rather good too, although it must have been rather fiddly to get the right track clearance all they way along the curve (something I'm working on at the moment). I can only imagine how much of a nightmare it could have been if you had attempted that with the station canopy too!

Cheers,

Stuart
ImageImage

Mighty

Postby Mighty » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:57 pm

Lysander, this is lovely, with real character too - I particularly like the low relief high street, which is very effective. Looks like pre-war Great Western?

Please do keep us all updated with a few more pics and a bit more information.

All best

Chris
"We've shot off over a million cannon shells, and what's the result? One dachschund with a slight limp." - Blackadder

My layout thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=20737

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:04 pm

Thanks for the comments Chris and Stuart. I gave a lot of thought to constructing a long curved canopy but dismissed it eventually - just too difficult. Lots of lessons learned here too, it being a first layout - main one being we will never use Peco foam underlay again ! Ballasting around it has helped, but I'll opt for all-ballast next time. It's really quite easy to apply and just looks so much better.

The period is that sort of always a sunny June afternoon in the mid-1930s [not all of the vehicles and rolling-stock will match of course]. GWR ? certainly, but Southern too, and LMS. Oddly, no-one seems to have any LNER stock.

The glaring omission is the lack of signalling. I must do something about it but it is so expensive. Perhaps a few token Ratio GWR posts for effect.

Tony.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:34 am

Very nice! Looking at the vehicles I would say don't go overboard on road markings. A broken line down the middle of the road would be as much as needed. If you put up any road signs use the pre 1964 designs. If you use Ratio signals built as dummies leave the arms moveable so that you can set them correctly for photographs. They are easier to ignore in real life than they are caught on camera!
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:12 am

I rather thought I'd make up a removable template from low-tak tape and paint the road markings in with a thin wash of white - just a broken line as you say. I've seen too many over-scale and far-too-bright attempts at this before, and it can ruin an otherwise good effort.

Road signs - I found some 30's ones, with poles and etched brass triangles, etc. [TinySigns I think] on eBay recently. Not too expensive.

Signals - thanks for the advice - when they are fitted, I'll leave the arms free. Being a club layout, there is some pressure to keep costs down to a minimum. I did think about scratchbuilding, but given the location, they will be extremely visible and so Ratio seemed the obvious option.

Incidentally, this layout is in Swansea. Any readers local to Swansea are very welcome to visit - and maybe join - the club. Give me a PM if there is interest. I am desperate to attract assistance in helping to continue the build. It's a big layout and will take years with just one or two engaged. The club also has a large On30 under construction, a large-ish 'N' which seems to have stalled and desperately needs skilled constructors with vision, and an 'O' industrial plank.

Tony.

kennyGWSR

Postby kennyGWSR » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:16 pm

this is a great layout! i cannot wait to see your streets and station populated :wink:
keep up the good work!

kenny
60089 Felstead :)
Layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=33128
Rail photos: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=28381

DJH584

Postby DJH584 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:36 pm

The photo's of your layout look great. It is wonderful to see a station built on a curve - after all not all stations were built on straights - and well done you for getting it right.
When we build our curved station, I hope that it will look half as good as yours.
Needless to say that this thread has now been added to my favourites and I will look in on it.
Great work, look forward to seeing your progress with it.

Our regards

David and Lynda
David and Lynda

Constructors of the soon to be Sandown RR

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:33 pm

This is all very flattering and much appreciated, especially so considering the time that it took to get just this far ! We have taken on a real Forth Bridge here however......

I guess three or four more nights should see the top end of the layout finished and attention will then turn to the four road loco stabling point at the opposite end. We have a turntable already installed, but sheds, sand driers, coaling stages, watering points and acres of ash and cinder all need to be laid down. It'll be a nice module when it's finished however.

The curved platforms were a necessity because of the need to hold between 4 and 6 coaches and the available width of the boards. But curved platforms do look interesting, I agree, and we are pleased with the overall result. They were fairly easy to construct too. We laid the track in as gentle-a-curve as the space would allow, placed roughly cut out card alongside and then, with a pencil strapped to the side of a Hornby 12-wheel diner [the longest coach with the greatest overhang], drove it through, marking the card as it went. Voila ! instant template. I so wish that I had been able to construct curved platform shelters though, they would have set it off so well.

I'll try to get a few different shots next week. In the meantime, two more of the same [pretty much].

Across platforms 1 & 2 into Station Road. Since this was taken, more ground cover has been applied. I plan to fill the gap between the low-relief buildings with a letter box and some early phone kiosks, to try to make the backscene recede further.

Station throat - you see what I mean about Peco foam - it doesn't look quite this bad in reality, but we won't use it again.

Tony.
Last edited by Lysander on Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:43 pm

Your layout has a definite charm and character - and I think the clerestory stock adds to that .

Could we have a trackplan or photo over-view at some point? It's always nice to see how things sit within the bigger picture :)

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:48 pm

SouthernBoy wrote:YCould we have a trackplan or photo over-view at some point? It's always nice to see how things sit within the bigger picture :)

Of course - I'll try next week, probably not possible to capture all in a single photo though. And, be patient, it's all pretty bare !

Tony.

413x

Postby 413x » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:27 pm

nice work. i agree that a track plan would be a help but otherwise keep it up

alex

Pevensey Flyer

Postby Pevensey Flyer » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:18 am

Wow. Very impressive and I love the curved platforms.Two of you to produce such a fab layout in no more than 2.5 hours a week is amazing.
The Peco foam can be painted by the way with a diluted mix of paint. Try it out on a scrap piece of foam and try different colours.

great layout.

PF

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:01 pm

Pevensey Flyer wrote:Wow. Very impressive and I love the curved platforms.Two of you to produce such a fab layout in no more than 2.5 hours a week is amazing.PF

Thank you again. Two and a half hours a week yes, but I'm not telling you over how over many years we have both laboured !! I have also decided that I shall scratch-build some signals, using square section wooden rods and card/wire - not working, obviously, but at least symbolic.

Sorry about this, but another photo of the same [I rather like this one.....]. Will the postcard photographer get out of the way before the Riley overtakes the Commer ?

Last edited by Lysander on Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:12 pm

Hi Lysander,

Worth every hour you two must have spent.
That is some collection of buildings, gives a great feel ....
Dare I make one suggestion about roads - surface colours often much lighter than we imagine.
There were more gutters of cobble, slate or stone than tarmac right up to kerbs.
Surfaces were more often tar & chippings with chippings either pressed into the tar or
worn off leaving darker lines where traffic wheels ran ...... no need to take any
notice because the overall feel and look is already so good.

Just noticed the way in which the clouds look like smoke from town chimneys in that
B & W shot - bet you couldn't have planned such a wonderful look !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”