St David's Wells

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Lysander

Re: St David's Wells

Postby Lysander » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:34 pm

Have completed the large, L-shaped backscene at last. Looks quite convincing and I'll post in due course. Wiring currently underway.

Those awful vids.....

Initially a Fuji bridge camera and, more lately [because I no longer have the Fuji], an old Panasonic Lumix [DMC FX55] that I found in Bangkok [honest] ! It just needed a charger. I'm not happy with the quality of any of the vids, I suppose a digital recorder is really the answer. I've not tried to use my IPhone yet - I might though.

Tony.
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:14 am

Blimey, it's been ages since I last posted............

Whilst there has been relatively little visible development, a club member has wired / rewired all of the track and now the entire diagram is usable, a big change from just movement on the main outer loops.

For interest I have posted some photos of the engine shed area, the last major construction project before the whole is, essentially, complete. The photos show a dry run placement of most of the buildings. I say 'most' because a club member unknown has stolen a number of buildings intended for this area. This breach of trust is hugely disappointing and, of course, has created a great deal of unfortunate suspicion. Nevertheless, they are gone and some bugger took 'em. To add insult, an appallingly made Metcalfe water tower was left as a sort of replacement for one. It really does beggar belief.

Once I have replaced the missing buildings, their footprints will be outlined in masking tape and an ash-based ground cover applied. A test application can be seen alongside one of the retaining wall. The buildings can then be replaced and the ash mix applied around their bases to give an impression of being built into rather than onto the environment. Shed clutter / machinery / rails / drums / wheels will complete the scene, together with workmen.

Must get some water cranes and sheer-legs also.......

Some back-scene work and other tidying needs then to follow, and a drive for the turntable.

Tony

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:48 am

Phew,
Hi Tony,

I almost missed this update having spent so much time away with no internet.
I always like this layout and it proves that Metcalfe kits really do work well.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:06 pm

Thanks Geoff. Metcalfe do work well if placed imaginatively into rather than onto the environment. You may have noticed a 'Bilteezi' 3mm dairy attached to one of the sheds also ! It works remarkably well. It'll be a couple of weeks before any further progress. I am pleased with the generally cluttered appearance however and some ground cover will improve things hugely. Need a short piece of track to lead off from the turntable too.....

Tony

deeftrundle

Postby deeftrundle » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:25 pm

Nicely did it.

siquelme

Postby siquelme » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:05 pm

New scene looks great!
Great Western Modeller for my sins
My Blog http://brookescastle.blogspot.com/

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”