Penzance themed modular layout in N gauge

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
haeckmaen

Penzance themed modular layout in N gauge

Postby haeckmaen » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:17 pm

Hi there,

Having almost completed my last layout Sarnau and following a longer period of absence from railway activities in the last year, I decided my latest project has now grown to something presentable so far.

I know the Western stuff is far from original but however it’s been a long term planning of mine to create a setting giving my collection of hydraulics a proper home.

This is an end-to-end/station-to-fiddle-yard-layout consisting of six sections with a total length of 4.30 metres. Since I have no dedicated railway room, this arrangement is meant to fit our living room with all its sections portable.

Whilst certain aspects of the track plan should represent the situation at about 1970, the visible part of the layout is of course massively shortened to match the space available. Platform sizes enable to run six to eight coach trains which is okay to me since my focus is neither on 15-coach Britannia hauled expresses nor on scale length HST’s. Another problem was it was obvious there was quite no space for sidings in their prototypical locations like Marazion or Long Rock respectively. A solution was found with the idea of a headshunt at the eastern end of the station combined with additional sidings located to the sea wall.

The planning so far:

IMG_0206.JPG
IMG_0206.JPG (108 KiB) Viewed 5929 times
IMG_0205.JPG
IMG_0205.JPG (149.34 KiB) Viewed 5931 times

Before starting the layout, I was lucky enough to meet some (of the very few) people in Germany interested in British N gauge. Three of them had decided to build their layouts to so called FREMO standards, applying a system of standardized modular ends for each of their sections. Although currently their existing layout themes are limited to Scottish and Welsh prototypes, the ability to combine all our British N gauge layouts to a greater network really caught my fancy, since I had to build up my layout in sections anyway.

Drawings of the standardized modular ends can be found here: http://www.finescale.org/finescale.org/Modulprofil.html

The Scottish themed part is portrayed here (sorry, it’s in German, but comes with pics and drawings): http://www.ios-railway.de/1treffen.html

However, the idea of a combination of different regions in one (exhibition) is not necessarily crude, such layout already exist in 009 called “Diversity 009”: http://www.diversity009.cd2.com/

Well, back to my project. I started with the fiddle yard. There’s nothing special about it, probably except the use of the most primitive traverser ever built, connected to the flat end of the fiddle by its own weight only. It’s working surprisingly well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym_wCnqPd9I

Module Traverser 2.JPG
Module Traverser 2.JPG (228.72 KiB) Viewed 5934 times
Module Traverser 3.JPG
Module Traverser 3.JPG (225.64 KiB) Viewed 5927 times
Module Traverser 4.JPG
Module Traverser 4.JPG (227.65 KiB) Viewed 5923 times

Best regards, Matthias

haeckmaen

Re: Penzance themed modular layout in N gauge

Postby haeckmaen » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:22 pm

Now that’s the situation achieved two weeks ago with the first major parts of the trackwork laid and ballasted. Again nothing that has not been seen before with all Peco 55 track and Seep motors. Operation is fully DCC with Digitrax (Loconet) as operational standard for the German modular systems already mentioned.

Ausfahrt Ri fiddle.JPG
Ausfahrt Ri fiddle.JPG (217.47 KiB) Viewed 5910 times
Penz totale I.JPG
Penz totale I.JPG (207.77 KiB) Viewed 5899 times
Penz totale II.JPG
Penz totale II.JPG (213.43 KiB) Viewed 5887 times
Blick Ausfahrt Teilschotter.JPG
Blick Ausfahrt Teilschotter.JPG (201.18 KiB) Viewed 5877 times
Blick Ausfahrt Vollschotter.JPG
Blick Ausfahrt Vollschotter.JPG (219.07 KiB) Viewed 5868 times

Matthias

haeckmaen

Postby haeckmaen » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:26 pm

Just another badge of pics…

42consist I.JPG
42consist I.JPG (201.85 KiB) Viewed 5861 times
42consist II.JPG
42consist II.JPG (207.57 KiB) Viewed 5860 times
42consist III.JPG
42consist III.JPG (213.91 KiB) Viewed 5856 times
bergang links-mitte Schotter.JPG
bergang links-mitte Schotter.JPG (204.5 KiB) Viewed 5847 times
bergang mittel-rechts Schotter.JPG
bergang mittel-rechts Schotter.JPG (212.36 KiB) Viewed 5844 times

haeckmaen

Postby haeckmaen » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:29 pm

Finally, last weekend I finished the basic tracklaying on the station sections. Although I had not done something like this before, to my own surprise, the amassment of five/eight tracks respectively crossing the sectional breaks and being cut there did not cause any problems at all.

IMG_0204.JPG
IMG_0204.JPG (240.38 KiB) Viewed 5820 times
IMG_0203.JPG
IMG_0203.JPG (230.04 KiB) Viewed 5812 times
IMG_0198.JPG
IMG_0198.JPG (231.58 KiB) Viewed 5810 times
IMG_0196.JPG
IMG_0196.JPG (237.31 KiB) Viewed 5809 times

I hope you like it so far. Any comments and hints are more than welcome. I expect I’ll have lots of questions when it comes to landscape design and construction of buildings and of course, I’m was more than thankful for prototypical information so thanks in advance for answers to come.

Best regards, Matthias

champion

Postby champion » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:40 pm

Will watch this layout with interest as with the loco fleet as hydraulics are right up my street and is looking good so far.
richard.
D1011 western thunderer.
Fav loco class 52 Western
R.I.P Old oak common
Layout Old oak common hydraulic heydays its future in the balance.

50035 Ark Royal

Postby 50035 Ark Royal » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:47 pm

Hi Penzance i know it very well, although for me best remembered with premier power as hydraulics way before my time.
Anyway if you want any info give me a shout
Favourite Class Hoover (Class 50)
Fifty Alliance Member shares in 35/44/49
Favourite all time loco 50035 Ark Royal

auricom

Postby auricom » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:07 am

Even your sketches are ridiculously good!!
Chris

Bookseller, philosopher and brutally forthright. If you don't like what I say, so what?

Ben A

Postby Ben A » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:27 am

Hi there,

Very nice project. Thanks for posting. I look forward to watching your progress.

cheers

Ben A.

whoshotjimmi

Postby whoshotjimmi » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:55 pm

Hi,

Outrageously good start with this project. Look forward to further progress.

James
They're two, they're four, they're six, they're eight........

http://ashbrooke00.webs.com

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:31 pm

I can only echo the previous comments with this layout. Great start and a nice selection of hydraulics. Oh how I wish I was old enough to remember them in their prime...

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:34 pm

Impressive start Matthias.

The sketched overview really gives a good impression of where you're headed with this one.
Your last layout was a great work but this one looks like it's going to set even higher standards - and I like large stations, especially a terminus :)

Trackwork/ballasting/weathering are looking like quality work already.
One thing I'm curious to note is that you've laid and ballasted sections of track whilst there are clearly other lengths of track still to be laid: Is there a reason why you work that way rather than lay all the track first and then ballast it all afterwards? Just curious - there's no 'right or wrong' way to do these things :)

haeckmaen

Postby haeckmaen » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:15 pm

Thanks for all of your kind comments.

I'd have liked to have experienced the BR hydraulics in their heydays, too, of course. However, I did experience their German equivalent V200 in their last days on heavy freight duties in the northern Ruhr as a kid in the late eighties, which made quite an impression to me. Double heading 50 or more high-capacity hoppers was standard. In contrast to this, IMO the Cornish setting is much more worth modelling than the urban wasteland in which I spotted the V200's.

@southernboy: thanks for watching, of course I hope to rise standards from layout to layout, it's a learning process :) I have to admit there is no certain concept about not laying the entire track but ballasting parts of it before. The reason for this is I ordered the track in batches in Britain and it just did not arrive at the time I expected. The building bug bit harder, so I started off... in the end, as you noticed, it didn't make a difference.

My apologies for not posting to much on other threads at this point, it always takes me some time to write something worth reading in somewhat proper english.

Hope to proceed working on the layout soon.

Best regards, Matthias

Foo

Postby Foo » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:35 pm

I live in falmouth, Cornwall, penzance is only two trains away from me, and the cycling nearby to pz isn't too shabby so I normally make it down there a couple of times a year if you want some modern-day pictures of the station or whatever :D

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:42 pm

I just noticed something ... the long, low area along the front of the track leading to the station, is that going to be the sea?

GROTLAND

Postby GROTLAND » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:38 pm

Just looking at your plans and artist impressions, it's obvious this will be a top layout. Looking at the work so far....well that clarifies the fact :D . Your last layout was great and this one is building on the growing strength of your abilities and determination to follow a prototype.
The work so far is top class and I am biased to blue era hydraulic action when it's done good :D

Get's my vote any day :mrgreen:

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”