Horseley Fields - NGS area group layout (was Dibben Junc)

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Ben A

Horseley Fields - NGS area group layout (was Dibben Junc)

Postby Ben A » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:33 pm

Hello all,

Dibben Junction is a layout under construction by the Northants and Cambs area group of the N Gauge Society.

It represents a twin track mainline somewhere in the Black Country, with a branch for operational interest, a suburban station and steel terminal.

There is a thread on this in RM Web, but I thought that some info might be helpful here too, especially as it's not yet finished. It will be on display (in whatever state) at the NGS AGM in St Ives, Cambs, on May 28th 2011.

The scenic area is 8' long and this shot of a Dapol 86 and Pretendolino shows most of it. The area behind the train is meant to represent a derelict former yard. The viaduct is a Scalescenes product, while in front is as yet unfinished - not even started, actually!

Pretendolino.jpg
Pretendolino.jpg (86.85 KiB) Viewed 3168 times

The centrepiece of the layout is this steel terminal. It has working doors and the crane moves along the side of the building. It's loosely based on Wolverhampton Steel Terminal.

60 steel.jpg
60 steel.jpg (65.75 KiB) Viewed 3168 times

There is also a largely disused canal behind the viaduct. The abandoned warehouse is yet to be weathered and firmly fixed in position.

66 bullets.jpg
66 bullets.jpg (77.48 KiB) Viewed 3168 times

Some may recognise that the planning of the layout was featured in an article in Model Rail a few months ago - here is a shot of a 1:10 scale concept model that was built to test the concept, and a photo from last autumn showing some of the group members discussing the alignment of the tracks when first laid. This photo shows the full scenic area and how the baseboards were built.

Model.jpg
Model.jpg (64.79 KiB) Viewed 3169 times

Garden.jpg
Garden.jpg (82.72 KiB) Viewed 3169 times

Any questions, feel free to ask!

cheers

Ben A.
Last edited by Ben A on Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ste234

Re: Dibben Junction - NGS area group layout (N Gauge)

Postby ste234 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:42 pm

Hi Ben, nice to see the progression from the magazine article, the disused canal buildings look very good, and the Pretendolino, well, needless to say I'm just a bit jealous! :lol:
Will be great seeing this one develop,
Cheers,
Ste
'Springfield', N gauge Modern Era Layout

siquelme

Postby siquelme » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:46 pm

Stunning!

Cant wait to see this layout develop will you be touring with the layout? As I would love to see the final model with all the working components.

Amazing work guys
Great Western Modeller for my sins
My Blog http://brookescastle.blogspot.com/

Kentman98

Postby Kentman98 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:08 am

I concur, great looking model with some interesting scenic detail. Thank you for sharing this with us. I will be keeping an eye open for any updates
Trev

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.......

My layout thread

briantwigley

Postby briantwigley » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:27 am

I think I remember seeing it in the magazine. Looks like a great plan.

Ryan

jamest

Postby jamest » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:51 am

Hi,

Lovely flowing main line - and I really like the 'disused' areas, this sort of thing makes the layout far more realistic looking.

Even the 1:10 plan looks good - it would have taken me ages to produce that!!

I will watch with interest.

Cheers,
James

sishades

Postby sishades » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:41 am

I remember the article well and look forward to reading about your progress.
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again

Ben A

Postby Ben A » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:52 am

Thanks for the kind words.

I forgot to mention in the first post that there are 6 "regulars" in the group at the moment, with a couple of other occasional members.

We meet in Warboys, Cambs, once a month or so, on Sundays. Any interested members of this forum are welcome to come along for a look.

The only proviso (if you do decide to actually join the group more regularly) is that as we are part-funded by the N Gauge Society area groups system you would have to become a member of the NGS (if not already.)

As a further taster, here is a pic of the new Dapol HST in Virgin livery coming over the viaduct. This is a review model - they should be in the shops in a few weeks.

HST.jpg
HST.jpg (74.65 KiB) Viewed 3026 times

You can see in this shot that one of the next jobs will be to ballast the track and add signals. We also need to add scenic treatment to the area in front of the viaduct - probably a combination of small industrial units and more wasteland, or perhaps allotments.

cheers

Ben A.

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:02 pm

I've also seen this in RM and on RMW - glad too see it here on NRM too :)

I love the grand sweep of the viaduct in particular, but the layout as a whole appeals too.

I can see a lot more thought and careful design has gone into this than many people may appreciate.

Definitely on my list of favourites :)

Ben A

Re: Horseley Fields - NGS area group layout (was Dibben Junc)

Postby Ben A » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:33 pm

Hello all...

Dibben Junction has become.... Horseley Fields.

We chose this name for several reasons, among them...

1) Irony. There are no fields, and unlikely to be any horses.

2) There is a road called Horseley Fields very near to Wolverhampton Steel terminal, which partly inspired the layout.

3) It sounds suitably Black Country-ish. Especially if pronounced Horz-lay Feelds.

4) We decided it was best to avoid <something> Road, Street or Junction as there are plenty of layouts with those types of names already!

Yesterday some Lafarge JPAs made their debut:

horseley fields.jpg
Freightliner 66 with LaFarge JPAs
horseley fields.jpg (47.65 KiB) Viewed 2785 times

Apologies for the giant sieve in the background!

I am hoping to have the hardstanding/steel terminal area "scenicked" (ugh!) by the time of our next meeting in April, when we intend having a running session to iron out any electrical issues and set up a rough timetable/roster of trains ready for the NGS AGM in May when Horseley Fields will make its (albeit unfinished) debut.

cheers

Ben A.

alan_r

Re: Horseley Fields - NGS area group layout (was Dibben Junc

Postby alan_r » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:38 pm

Really enjoyed seeing this layout at the Melksham show today - great work guys! :D
Alan

bike2steam

Postby bike2steam » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:13 am

Nice layout, wrong era. Black Country steam era is 'my theng'. Out of interest see here;-
http://janfordsworld.blogspot.co.uk/200 ... ction.html

Ben A

Postby Ben A » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:52 pm

Hi Alan

Sorry - only just seen your comment. Many thanks! The layout is at Southend this coming weekend (Nov 22nd/23rd.)

cheers

Ben A.

Ben A

Postby Ben A » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:57 pm

bike2steam wrote:Nice layout, wrong era. Black Country steam era is 'my theng'. Out of interest see here;-
http://janfordsworld.blogspot.co.uk/200 ... ction.html

Hello Paul

Interesting! I hadn't seen that. But is it Horseley or Horsley? The author seems undecided, and if it's Horsley we're off the hook!

cheers

Ben A.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:22 pm

Hi- Black Country born and bred, it's Horseley as in your title, wouldn't worry though if we can put up with headmasters banning our dialect "we aye gonna ger upset at yoa spellin'"
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”