Bloxwich Depot, N, the fences and greenery begin! P2

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
nickn

Bloxwich Depot, N, the fences and greenery begin! P2

Postby nickn » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:27 pm

Hello everyone,

After being interested in this hobby for about 18 months I’ve started 5 layouts, a couple of which have made it on here in early stages but none of which have been anywhere near finished. This time I think I might have come up with a plan that might survive!! So I'd like to introduce my new layout Bloxwich Traction & Rolling Stock Maintenance Depot which I've been working on for about a month.

Customised from a Scalescenes.com element

It's N gauge, 90s-00s with a range of liveries, DC control, Peco setrack. The board is 1 foot by 4 foot. It's a totally fictional location but as the name indicates it's set in the West Midlands where I'm originally from.

My twist on the ever popular depot layout is that it features a very nearly 8 coach long depot building. The second twist being that an 8 coach train could never actually run onto the layout and the main front of the building is not modelled. In fact the building is actually just the backdrop/fiddle yard. This is the plan (not drawn to scale), blue shading indicates the depot building:

The imaginary story is that this is the South side of the depot which also has further sidings, a larger fuelling area and main line access to the North of the building. The main traffic in this area of the depot will be short engineer’s trains coming and going/ 08s shunting wagons for repair/ locos and 2 car DMUs going to be rested.

Here's the fiddle yard tracks in place, the embankment started and a bit of testing in progress:

This is all the track in place and painted by hand, buffer stops added and the embankment painted:

The building started (which proved a little tricky as I had to leave room for fiddle yard access and still support the building.) Brick paper is from the excellent Scalescenes range.

Main body of the building finished, but still to add a lot of details to break it up a bit – drainage, piping, walkways etc

Close up of the fiddle yard entrance in its current state

The first member of staff! He'll be waiting a while for anything to refuel!

There will be a yard/dumping site area towards the front with skips/storage containers/old rails etc. I’m hoping to fill the front siding (electrically dead anyway) with retired heavily weathered locos, 4 x 08s would fit very nicely! I’ll be adding yard lights over the group of 4 sidings and a couple of lights to the outside of the building.

At the left end there will be a bridge carrying a single track passing over going from front to back and appearing either in a disused state or with a 153 passing across. This will hide the exposed fiddle yard tracks on that side. At the right side there will be stacks of containers, as the depot also sits on the fringes of an intermodal freight depot!

The next big job is ballasting which I hope to start properly soon.

Anyway all thoughts, questions and constructive criticism are very welcome.

Thanks
Nick
Last edited by nickn on Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.

wolvesdug

Re: Bloxwich Depot, N gauge

Postby wolvesdug » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:36 pm

Good start you have made there

MrT

Postby MrT » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:40 pm

That is a very clever idea and plan for a small layout, well done.

StevieDay

Postby StevieDay » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:43 pm

Excellent start to your layout & an impressive depot building. How did you get the corrugated effect?
Regards,
Steve

My Layout;- Rayne St, Fictional N-Gauge Layout viewtopic.php?t=30856

mika

Postby mika » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:52 pm

Hi Nick,

Great start! I like the idea of using the depot building as a backdrop.

Michael
My layout 'Sudbury-on-Sea'

My German layout 'Zinnroda (Thür.)'

nickn

Postby nickn » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:48 pm

Thanks all for your kind comments! :D

StevieDay wrote:How did you get the corrugated effect?

It's corrugated card, bought for a few quid from the art department at Paperchase on Tottenham Court Rd, London. I was killing time in there one afternoon and came across it, it was bought before this layout was started but I knew it would come in handy for something!

Tractor Matt

Postby Tractor Matt » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:13 pm

Great start mate, I love the depot. I have a loft layout under construction and in the summer it unbearable to stay up there for long and thought this summer to model a small 4 x 1 layout and you've started me thinking about some cracking ideas.

Gonna keep a watch on this one, just hope you stick with it cos its cracking so far.

Matt
See my layout under construction - http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30089

'There's nothing more satisfying than peeling dried glue from your fingers'

briantwigley

Postby briantwigley » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:21 pm

Really great idea, and that half shed looks great.

Ryan

nickn

Postby nickn » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:55 pm

Thanks for the nice comments guys. I say go for it Matt! A surprising amount can be done in 4x1 and it feels like getting it finished is manageable. Here's a few new pics, I've been adding yellow lines to the paths in-between the sidings and the light cream edging to the main depot (which still needs drains, walkways, and various other details!)...

66250 pulls in to the sidings moving alongside 66098

Later on an 08 pulls in for a break

Getting a bit frustrated with lines not being straight/things not being perfect etc!! But keeping going and will hopefully have some lighting up soon.

Cheers
Nick

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:58 pm

What you've done so far looks great. I wouldn't lose sleep over your yellow lines as they are never perfect in real life. If you apply a bit of weathering to them they should look just fine. The shed is a nice piece of work.

m8internet

Postby m8internet » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:27 pm

nickn wrote:Getting a bit frustrated with lines not being straight

Using a Tracksetta resolves that issue

Equally, use of a small metal straight edge
I bought one from B&Q and is ideal for both purposes, checking track is straight and taking measurements
Glasgow Queen Street Model Railway layout : modern image N gauge using DCC

small358786

Postby small358786 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:16 pm

m8internet wrote:
nickn wrote:Getting a bit frustrated with lines not being straight

Using a Tracksetta resolves that issue

Equally, use of a small metal straight edge
I bought one from B&Q and is ideal for both purposes, checking track is straight and taking measurements

I think he means the yellow lines,not the track :D

StevieDay

Postby StevieDay » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:34 pm

I found a metal ruler is very good for laying straight track. But remember on the real thing tracks often become slightly warped with age, due to subsidence & lateral movement.
Regards,
Steve

My Layout;- Rayne St, Fictional N-Gauge Layout viewtopic.php?t=30856

nickn

Postby nickn » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:02 pm

Cheers for the comments everyone. And sorry for the confusion - I was meaning I was getting annoyed with the yellow lines and the edging on the building! But useful tips for future reference RE track laying, thanks. Chris I think you're right that some weathering (On just about everything!) will help. They're also the sort of things that I think I'll get used to and not even notice after a while.

This afternoon I installed the first 2 depot lights and just did a few snaps (still getting used to my new camera - the night shots will improve slowly with practice hopefully!)

The edging on the depot will be improved, partly by being covered with pipework and drainage and partly with weathering, I'm not happy with it at the moment.

Our red wall leads to quite a dramatic sky!

Again excuse the building edging...

I'm really happy with the yard lights, they're by Viessmann and have a nice girder style on the sides which is hopefully just about visible in the photos above!!

Cheers
Nick

Ben A

Postby Ben A » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:11 am

Hi Nick,

This is coming along nicely. Those lights remind me of the cast concrete ones you sometimes see, esp on the Southern region.

I agree that once you add some weathering to "tone down" the yellow then those stripes will look a lot more subtle!

cheers

Ben A.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”