Bloxwich Depot, N, the fences and greenery begin! P2

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
nickn

Re: Bloxwich Depot, N gauge

Postby nickn » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:58 am

Cheers for the comment Ben.

I don't often get much done on week nights but had a burst of energy tonight...

I've re-done most of the edging on the depot building with a darker card which I'm much happier with, the white pipe in the middle of this photo is helping make everything look nice and straight. It will be sprayed gray, detailed and fixed in place and I'll add some right angle sections at either end taking it into the building. I'm not sure yet what it would actually be for in real life!! I'm still to add drains and walkways and maybe even some windows (although not cut through - just too dirty to see through!) to the smaller depot building.

I've also tried out the edge of the container terminal which sits at one end of the depot. Eventually it will sit on a concrete floor and be surrounded by ubiquitous security fencing. It will also get a couple of containers higher and I've got a plan to give it some depth - more on that when I do it!

(The next thing to fix is the bends in the top side of the roof!! Though they don't look as bad in real life, it's amazing how good cameras are at seeing everything you don't want them to!!)

And finally one more of the new lights in better light...

I'm thinking about replacing the Scenecraft fuel point with a Knightwing kit, does anyone have any opinions on the kit and/or suggestions for alternatives I've missed? Thanks in advance for any help.

Next up is the ballasting which I've been putting off for long enough now!!

Cheers,
Nick

auricom

Postby auricom » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:58 am

Hi Nick. This is a great idea for a small layout.

It may also be worth adding some weathering to the containers, as they usually are a bit dirty and/or rusty.
Chris

Bookseller, philosopher and brutally forthright. If you don't like what I say, so what?

Deltic1981

Postby Deltic1981 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:58 pm

I wouldent fix your roof too much a lot of buildings dont have perfect roofs especialy when sections get repaired.

nickn

Postby nickn » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:37 pm

Thanks for the comments guys. I got quite a bit done yesterday starting with the official naming ceremony! 60078 was in attendance with a short rake of wagons... (the windows will be added soon to the building!)

I also spray painted the piping for the roof of the smaller depot building, added the bases for the point levers (which will be cut down track pins with a painted tip), finished the replacement building edging and sprayed the security fencing and drainage. I also started spreading the ballast out.

Here's an overall pic of the sidings end showing the roof piping in place (but not fixed down yet)

As always all thoughts and questions welcome!!

Thanks,
Nick

StevieDay

Postby StevieDay » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:19 pm

Your layout is coming on great Nick. I like those lamps, excellent detailing on them & the name board looks perfectly faded & weathered.

Yes the camera does show up all of the minor imperfections. But we always notice them on our layouts cos we put them there. People dont usually see them unless they are pointed out. As said before dont worry about roof details not being perfectly straight. They only tend to be like that in real life when 1st built. With time things sag or get damaged.

Look to take advantage of imperfections or any mistakes in your layout. One example I can think of, was a member on here had an ugly base board join. So he turned it into a cattle grid.
Regards,
Steve

My Layout;- Rayne St, Fictional N-Gauge Layout viewtopic.php?t=30856

nickn

Re: Bloxwich Depot, N, More lights and the first DMU visitors

Postby nickn » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:23 pm

Thanks very much for your comment Stevie! Very encouraging words! :D

More progress has been made today with the guttering, pipe joiners, more lights, and some new visitors! I've also been spreading out a lot of ballast but not stuck any down yet or finished positioning it. Time for a couple more night shots (the batteries I use for testing are almost dead so I think they'll be brighter when connected properly)...

Here's an overall shot, the grass scatter at the front left is just the first test and will be layered up...

Then a few more of the guttering, lights and 153 and 150 in proper light...

This is the pipe fitted in place with scalescenes pipe joiners added...

And finally here is one of the small test project I did to try out a lot of the ideas now in use on the layout (this is last photo before I removed the lights for use on the depot!)

Cheers
Nick

nickn

Re: Bloxwich Depot, N, new lights and first DMU visitors, Page 2

Postby nickn » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:59 pm

Evening everyone,

I've been adding the fencing (PH Designs) and some greenery to the end of the sidings. This is definitely the most fun bit to do so far! :D I'm thinking of leaving the containers loose, so that I can always change it to a scrap yard/ skip company etc in future.

The footpath seen to the far right in the first shot will have a dog walker and a few stray cones/shopping trolleys added and will be extended across the front of most of the layout. The greenery will be added to with long static grasses. The yellow lines will be weathered very soon, at the moment it looks like the staff have given up cutting back the weeds, but are very keen on freshly painted lines!

I've started working on the bridge for the far left of the layout, pictures to follow when it's more than a pile of cut out cardboard!

Nick

GROTLAND

Re: Bloxwich Depot, N, the fences and greenery begin! P2

Postby GROTLAND » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:32 pm

Looks good. The extra long shed with roof details really makes the layout stand out from the norm. Great modelling with some interesting touches.

hairyhandedfool

Postby hairyhandedfool » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:53 am

It's a good looking layout you've made, but can I point out one thing...

If staff are to be able to walk from the shed building to the 'walking routes' between the sidings, there needs to be a walking route either going round the track or across it.

Keep up the good work though, I like it a lot.
"Dying is easy, its living that scares me to death"
Annie Lennox - Cold (from the album "Diva")

Stressed? Fight my brute
You can now join my Clan

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:23 am

Great work so far. You might also want to add a few weeds between the rails at the end of the sidings too as these don't tend to see weedkiller either!

taytrain

Postby taytrain » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:31 pm

looking good, well done

Terrier

Postby Terrier » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:40 pm

Liking this a great deal, the buffer end, and containers behind the fence, overgrowth of bushes etc, looks really good. nice one. :)

nickn

Postby nickn » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:38 pm

Thanks very much indeed for the kind comments everyone! :D

hairyhandedfool wrote:If staff are to be able to walk from the shed building to the 'walking routes' between the sidings, there needs to be a walking route either going round the track or across it.

Thanks, this is a good point and one I've been thinking about a bit, but I'm not sure what the best material would be to make the crossings from - all suggestions welcome!

cmeonthemove wrote:You might also want to add a few weeds between the rails at the end of the sidings too as these don't tend to see weedkiller either!

Thanks, hopefully I'll figure out static grass soon and then was thinking of adding a bit of that to the siding ends and around the footpath.

A bit more ballasting has been completed, but it's slow progress! I got the windows printed on acetate today, once they're properly dry I'll fit them. Hopefully more pics will follow soon!

Cheers
Nick

PD.

Postby PD. » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:47 am

Looking at the photos I feel like I am driving up to a mid 80's MFI and about to buy some shabby bunkbed/cum desk that would enhance my studying and future outlook on life. All credit to you mate, you have captured the moment :D

It does look good btw... ;)
Praha Hlavní Nádraží (Prague Main Station)

vladino

Postby vladino » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:46 am

Brilliant work and very inspiring! Can't wait for further updates.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”