Sudbury-on-Sea (N gauge)

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
mika

Re: Sudbury-on-Sea (N gauge)

Postby mika » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:20 pm

Thanks, mash, for the kind comment.

Hi everyone,

family isn't ill anymore so I found some time to work on the layout again. The plan was to fill the harbour area with stuff, barrels, crates, ropes.

The pallets, sacks and barrels are from a Ratio kit, the crates were found in my spares box and come from a Faller kit, I think.

And here everything is in situ:

That's it for now.
Next step is finding a suitable way to connect the lid (fiddle yard) to the bottom (scenic) to form a box. Perhaps I get this done before the weekend so I can take Sudbury to my parents-in-law and keep me entertained.

All the best,
Michael
My layout 'Sudbury-on-Sea'

My German layout 'Zinnroda (Thür.)'

mika

Postby mika » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:52 pm

Hi everybody,

I finally found the time for a little running session on Sudbury. It was really fun :D .

Unfortunately, my Terrier didn't run as she was supposed to :cry: .When opening her I found the connection between pickups and motor was loose :? . After soldering that she should have run better... but didn't :shock: . Pickup works fine, connection to the motor is repaired and the motor runs without the body. So why doesn't she move when I put the body back on the chassis? It's a mystery. But a mystery I'm going to solve... tomorrow, hopefully.

I added some goods under a tarp to the Sainbury's yard. It was made from three bits of wood glued together which were covered with tissue soaked in diluted PVA. After that had been dry it was painted in yellow and later dirtied up with diluted acrylics.
and in situ:

Pictures from the running session:
Pannier with a mixed freight departing Sudbury-on-Sea:

SWT 170 arriving with the 14:35 from Waterloo:

67002 shunting at Sudbury harbour:

SWT 170 with the 17:03 for Salisbury:

The younger one of my two boys also had a good time operating the layout. He is 7 now and knows exactly how it works. I also have a new operator for the layout :D : My 10 month old daughter had fun pushing the buttons on the control panel and listening to the 'clack' sound of the changing points :lol:

That's it for now. I'll hopefully fix that Terrier soon, as she is a nice little engine.
Please, let me know what you think.

All the best,
Michael

1977joey

Postby 1977joey » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:24 am

Glad to see Sudbury back Michael, love the last few shots. An intricately detailed model you have there :P

keep the pics coming,

All the best,
Mark
My Layout 'Shawbury Foregate' viewtopic.php?f=22&t=39300

Cheers,
Mark

mika

Postby mika » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:16 pm

Thanks, Mark, much appreciated.

Update on the Terrier. Took her apart to give her a thorough clean and bend the wipers a little more towards the wheels.

The hardest part was putting her back together again. I had to take off the coupling rods to get the wheels back into the chassis. Very fiddly, I can assure you!

Worked out and she now runs again beautifully. She loves clean track and is (due to my insulfrog points) no shunter, but good enough. Here she is on an enthusiasts' special when fresh from the works:

Waiting at the platform:

And on a short mixed freight in the harbour:

That's it for now.
Let me know what you think!

Michael

thebritfarmer

Postby thebritfarmer » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:24 pm

That is a nice little shunter Michael.
All Aboooooard !!

mika

Postby mika » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:36 pm

Hi Scott and everyone else,

current collection is much better now and I guess that the use of electrofrog points would have made a shunter of her. *Note to self: Use electrofrogs on next layout* (Hope SWMBO doesn't read about my thoughts about yet another layout; have to stay focussed :( ).

Okay, I already mentioned this in Mark's Shawbury thread: I want to add signals to Sudbury. Mark advised me that I could add a semaphore to the end of the platform. My questions are:
(1) What would I use for the freight line?
(2) I would guess that lower quadrant signals were used in the South. Thought about using those. Would that be correct?

Got some work done on the station forecourt. I just have to find a camera to take some pics. The wife took mine and she wont be back till Friday :? .

That's it for now. I'd love to get some hints regarding the signals.
Cheers,
Michael
Last edited by mika on Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hiffano

Postby hiffano » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:43 pm

could you use ground signals for the freight line? and set the mainline signal a little past the platform end to cover the mainline and sidings?
I;m no expert, just musing aloud
Whoo, new job... big pay cut... but new job! yay

mika

Postby mika » Wed May 01, 2013 3:23 pm

Hi everybody!

Thanks, hiffano. Not sure whether I'd need ground signals at all in the harbour area. But then again I'm sure about nothing regarding British signalling :? . I'll think some more about that but will order two ratio signals just in case... :D .

Just got that postcard which reminded me that I wanted to show you the new station forecourt.

I added those beautiful flower beds with seating areas. This has transformed that whole area into a nice spot, I think.

Hope, you like it.
All the best,
Michael

hairyhandedfool

Postby hairyhandedfool » Wed May 01, 2013 6:13 pm

mika wrote:....My questions are:
(1) What would I use for the freight line?
(2) I would guess that lower quadrant signals were used in the South. Thought about using those. Would that be correct?....

I'm far from an expert on semaphores, but you'd need a starter (main aspect) for the platform line, ideally before the crossing, but for the freight line it really does depend where it goes and possibly who controls it. The answer to that could determine what signal is needed, if a signal is needed, a ground signal is probably a safe bet.

Apparently, Lower Quadrant signals were quite common all over the place, but after some accidents (where the signals failed or were mis-read), most were changed to Upper Quadrant. The last Lower Quadrant signal on the National Rail network in Scotland was at Stirling apparently, replaced around 2000/2001.
"Dying is easy, its living that scares me to death"
Annie Lennox - Cold (from the album "Diva")

Stressed? Fight my brute
You can now join my Clan

buz

Postby buz » Thu May 02, 2013 5:10 am

Hi mika
You would have a departure signal at the platform end this would be either electric semaphore or a two aspect colour light signal.
Normal working would be the signal man clears the signal the crossing activates first then the signal clears allowing the train to depart
The freight line is a bit more of a problem as it would more than likely have a level crossing marker or something equally non standard
due to the proximity of the crossing to the points
You could use if you can get one a "Z" scale two aspect signal that shows a red or a yellow aspect.
You then need the box off an N scale telephone pole to stick on the front of the signal mast for the push buttons remove the ladder if fitted.
When the train is ready to depart the driver pushes the button returns to his cab when the crossing has activated the marker goes yellow allowing the train to leave once the train is the other side of the crossing the crossing will switch off as normal and the marker return to red.
The first proper signal on the freight line would be the yard departure which would be well on the other side of the bridge with other signals to protect the yard entrance and main line.
hope this helps
regards John
A model railway can be completed but it's never finished

mika

Postby mika » Thu May 02, 2013 11:16 am

Hi hairyhandedfool and buz,

thanks for your answers. That's very informative. Seems like a starter on the passenger line is a safe bet. If the lower quadrants survived until the early 2000s, I think I can argue that the one in Sudbury survived until now (Rule 1 applying).

The freight line seems to be more of a problem. Still not sure about that.
Is it possible to leave the crossing as it is and argue that traffic in the (non-public) harbour area is very light and does not demand barriers? Or what about saying that the harbour line is not part of Network Rail but is part of the Sudbury Harbour Tramway (SHT) belonging to the municipality of Sudbury and is therefore not signalled like the main line? Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks,
Michael

hairyhandedfool

Postby hairyhandedfool » Thu May 02, 2013 12:26 pm

I imagine if the rail traffic was quite light you might be able to have some sort of pilotman working, with a shunter or similar making sure the crossing is clear whilst the movement proceeds at a slowish pace (not that you'd want it going fast anyway). The link to the national network (and hence the first signal) could be further down the line.
"Dying is easy, its living that scares me to death"
Annie Lennox - Cold (from the album "Diva")

Stressed? Fight my brute
You can now join my Clan

buz

Postby buz » Thu May 02, 2013 5:18 pm

Hi mika
According to the prototype practice
Doesn't matter what type of semaphore upper or lower quadrant could even be a somersault signal if you wish.
All that matters is it has an electric reverser so that the electrical interlocking can start the crossing before changing the signal.
Because of the main line the minimum level of crossing protection is going to be flashlights and they would be required to protect both lines.
So the absolute minimum you would need in the yard is a push button box for the shunter to start and stop the crossing for shunting moves a bit of stiff wire for the post and a bit of plastic for the box painted silver with something to represent the shunters switch and operating instructions sign.
Could add some interesting animation and operations to the layout.
Making a representation of an electric reverser in "N" would be a pain in the BEEP so I would not worry to much about it unless your into self torture.
As for speed go above 5MPH in that yard and the Yard Master will probably be asking awkward questions.
Have you thought about red lights that should probably really be on the end of the yard tracks given the OOPS! would be a doozie
regards John
A model railway can be completed but it's never finished

mika

Postby mika » Tue May 07, 2013 9:01 am

Hi,

seems that isn't as easy as I thought. After a lot of thinking and reading and re-reading I came up with the following plan:
(1) install a semaphore on the passenger line as in the wonderfully photoshopped pic above
(2) install flashlights at the level crossing (after I found what they look like in the UK)
(3) visualise the push button box described by John (thanks) and build it

As already mentioned in my last post, the freight line is going to be part of the Sudbury Harbour Tramway. The first signal is therefore located off-stage at the connection with the national rail network.

John also mentioned red light at the ends of the tracks. That was something that already on my list. I'll see how I'm going to represent them.

Thanks again, hairyhandedfool and John (buz), for your help with the signalling.

Cheers,
Michael

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Sun May 12, 2013 2:08 am

Looking through the last couple of pages im amazed at the detail you've packed into a layout so small. Bravo sir!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”