Sudbury-on-Sea (N gauge)

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
mika

Re: Sudbury-on-Sea (N gauge)

Postby mika » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:31 am

Hi Scott and Mark,
thanks for the good wishes!

Hi everyone else following this one,
I finally managed to get something done on the layout. 8)
Remember those pipes I showed you some time ago? I added some more and made a stack out of them; as if the harbour area was used to store construction material.
Also I wasn't happy with the pile of sand I had added to that area. So it had to go and was replaced with a bigger one :lol: . As I wanted to see how it turns out before I planted it on the layout, it was made off scene. The sand was piled up (Remember, nothing looks like a pile of sand like a pile of sand :? ) and glued using diluted PVA with a drop of washing-up liquid (with the side effect that the pile now smells like grapefruit and rosemary :shock: ). That wasn't as easy as I had thought, surface tension was still very high. But careful drop-by-drop application of the grapefruit-rosemary-PVA mix eventually got me there.

The pile was left to dry over night and was placed on the layout today using PVA. The edges were (hopefully well) hidden sprinkling sand around the pre-formed pile.
The construction storage area now looks like this:

Hope you like it. Comments are always welcome.
That's it for now!

Michael
My layout 'Sudbury-on-Sea'

My German layout 'Zinnroda (Thür.)'

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:05 am

Happy birthday for Tuesday. Looks like a productive day for new stock! Those 67s are great runners and the ride-height spot on. I have the 67008 model plus dummy 67006 and 67026s and have to say these are probably my favourite models of the lot, even though the 67 itself isn't my favourite class.

Great work on the scenics as ever. Little scenes like this really add to a layout.

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:40 am

Looking good - especially the sand, which really does look effective representing a pile of sand :)

With the pipes: The only thing I'd consider is a wash of umber or similar just to dull them down a little, but overall that corner is coming together nicely.

Love the Stanier, it's a fine looking coach.

mika

Postby mika » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:01 am

Hi everybody,

thanks for the comments. Much appreciated!

SouthernBoy wrote:The only thing I'd consider is a wash of umber or similar just to dull them down a little

Mark, I think you're right about toning it down. I'll have a look at that sometime.

cmeonthemove wrote:Happy birthday for Tuesday. Looks like a productive day for new stock! Those 67s are great runners and the ride-height spot on.

Thanks, Chris. The 67 is a very nice model, indeed. I just need more stock for a mail train. (So far I have one :lol: )

I didn't get anything done scenic-wise, but the layout has taken a giant leap forward, nonetheless. I finally managed to build my long-awaited (by me at least) fiddle yard.
As you might recall, Sudbury-on-Sea is located in a self-built box. The upper part of that box was to contain the fiddle yard. The layout of the box meant that the tracks of the fiddle yard had to bridge a gap of 6mm. My idea was to build a draw-bridge (You see, I went to see loads of castles with my sons :lol: ). That's what it looked like:
However, the best-laid plans of mice and men...
The draw-bridge proved to be a bit wobbly and instable.
So, a 'Plan B' was needed an found. Not as elegant :? as the integrated draw-bridge, but at least working :lol: . The tracks are now on a separate board that can be inserted into the lid.

Track feeds were installed and work through the main layout.

The bridge had to be removed to get to the cable-work.
Next task is to repair the damage done by removing the bridge :?

The new fiddle yard was tested thoroughly by my younger son, while the other one praised the scenery 8) .

Next thing is to get the tracks in the harbour done. They give me a bit of a headache sometimes because the surrounding concrete area is a bit too high at some points so that the wheels lose contact :x .

Well, so much for now. Thanks for looking.

Michael

mika

Postby mika » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:20 am

Hi everyone,

nearby Sudbury railway works had a famous customer last week. My son's Percy needed a bit of solder as he was missing a tiny spring that connected the pick up with the motor. All's fine now so that a test run was in order:

Unfortunately, Percy is quite wide so that he couldn't run on the passenger line as he fouled the platform :evil: .

During Percy's test-run we noticed that one point in the harbour didn't work :? . As the connections under the bridge and in the control panel were all right, the problem had to be under the baseboard. No problem, I thought, as it is simply screwed to the box. Imagine how surprised I was when I noticed that the water (PVA) had connected the two parts which should not have been glued together. It should have been obvious, I know... :oops:
A certain use of force gained me access to the wiring and showed me a loose connection but at the same time destroyed parts of the water surface and the quay wall :shock: .

So I had to scrape the remaining PVA (which worked quite nice) in order to apply a new coat.

The quay wall was also repaired and repainted. The repaint was quite a nice opportunity to give the lower part a different finish. The outlet was installed as to much off the corrugated card had been damaged. It is part of the canalisation :D .

Next was a new coat of paint for the water as scraping the PVA off left its mark on the old paint. Also SWMBO (also in modelling issues) thought that the colour I had used was to clean and didn't look like harbour water at all. So I mixed a nice colour of greenish brown 8) :

I then added PVA to represent the water surface. It's always a terrifying moment when applying that white glue on the paint. I just hope it works out as well as last time :?
(Please, excuse the mess in the last picture.)

So, I now play the waiting game (which is always dangerous as I most often find myself on the website of a well-known Liverpool-based retailer :lol: ).

So much for now. Please tell me what you think.

Cheers for now,
Michael

mika

Postby mika » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:32 pm

Hi and welcome back!
Had to look for my own layout and finally found it on page 4 :shock: . I guess it's been a while...
Still nothing done on the layout although I now have a few ideas what to do next 8) .

As Father Christmas comes on Christmas Eve in Germany :o there have been some new arrivals on Sudbury:
I guess I have been nice because I got this beauty:

Dapol's new Pannier tank in late BR guise. Runs like a dream and looks stunning. :D

I also got a MMB milk tank, a RES GUV and another TPO sorting van.

That's it for now. I hope I'll find the time to actually do something on the layout in the near future.

Merry Christmas to all of you!

Michael

1977joey

Postby 1977joey » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:57 pm

Hi Michael,

Really looking good, I like the parcels service waiting in the platform 2, gives the impression of a busy little terminus :)

All the best for 2013,
Mark
My Layout Shrewford viewtopic.php?f=22&t=55270

Cheers,
Mark

mika

Sudbury-on-Sea (N gauge) - Progress at last

Postby mika » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:12 pm

Hi all,

something strange has happened. The (sixth or seventh :oops: ) visit to Hamburg's celebrated Miniatur Wunderland have finally given me that stimulus to do something on my layout(s) again. Also, I got another special edition tanker :lol: :

So, what has happened at Sudbury?
SWT have installed those wonderful self-service ticket machines:
(The larger ones are in OO gauge for my dad.)

The crossing got some signs advising the drivers to "stop, look and listen":

I also added some more greenery here and there:

...and ladders in the harbour area:

I have to say that I'm not so sure about that big tree on the right side of the layout, anymore. It looks like it's been through a lot; must have been a hell of a storm :shock: . I'll have to see whether it'll be substituted by a Chinese ebay-tree or whether I'll re-green :? it.

Well, that's it for now. Let me know what you think!

All the best,
Michael

thebritfarmer

Postby thebritfarmer » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:18 pm

Nice updates, the tickets machine look really good as does the timetable board. Nice little tanker from MW as well :)
All Aboooooard !!

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:27 pm

Looking good - especially the ticket machine. Did you make the fascia yourself?

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:57 pm

I should look at more 'N' layouts ...........
Lots of good work there.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:52 pm

You should Geoff - and maybe have a go at a simple plank layout yourself, just for the sake of experimentation, and trying something different :)

StevieDay

Postby StevieDay » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:36 am

Its always a pleasure to see your layout Michael. Loads of great detailing like the sign at the crossing & the self servicing machines.

Did your redone sea surface with PVA in the quay come out ok?
Regards,
Steve

My Layout;- Rayne St, Fictional N-Gauge Layout viewtopic.php?t=30856

mika

Postby mika » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:43 am

Hi everybody,

thanks for your comments. They're always appreciated.

SouthernBoy wrote:Did you make the fascia yourself?

I searched for photos of ticket machines on the internet. They were then turned, cropped and resized by trial and error (hence the OO gauge ones for my dad :lol: ) and printed on photo paper at our local drugstore (total cost: 0,27€ 8) ). the corpus of the machine is a bit of plastic painted with acrylics. Glad you like it!

Dad-1 wrote:I should look at more 'N' layouts ...........
Lots of good work there.

Thanks, Geoff. As Mark already said: You really should. There is some great N gauge modelling here as Steve and the several Marks :lol: have shown.

StevieDay wrote:Did your redone sea surface with PVA in the quay come out ok?

the PVA did not dry as clear as the last one but I think it gives the impression of the milky water sometimes found in harbours. You can see that in the pictures although it looks different depending on angle and light.

Unfortunately, I didn't get too much done after the last update which btw was forced upon me by my wife when she asked me one evening: "Don't you have a model to build?" And I willingly obeyed :wink: .
However, the whole family has been ill (except me and the baby) and so I had to nurse them all. Not much time for modelling. I started making pallets and painting barrels though; some stuff that will go in the harbour area. I will show you when it's done.

That's it for now. Just one more picture to show you, simply because i liked it. The postal special is ready to leave Sudbury-on-Sea.

All the best,
Michael

mash

Postby mash » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:56 pm

Fantastic little layout. Just shows you can achieve a lot with not much space. The devil is in the detail. Very inspiring!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”