The AC Lines Project

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
87 101

The AC Lines Project

Postby 87 101 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:58 pm

Hi all as mentioned a while back in the Potters Lane thread im planning a bigger exhibition layout set up. The idea for the layout came to me after running our YMR modular layout down in Cornwall back in september. One of the things that the general public commented on was the way that each module was a self contained scene yet trains could run between them. So after some thought ( about 5 mins ! ) a plan was hatched for a modular layout based on the UK 25kv AC network. As Potters Lane will form part of the line up any future progress on the module will now be posted in this thread. For the Potters Lane story have a look here... viewtopic.php?f=22&t=20794

So as mentioned AC lines will be a collection of modules that can be assembled in any order and can be as long or short as required depending on exhibition space available. So far Potters Lane is the first section with work due to start on the second module soon ( more about this one later). One of the modules will be of a viaduct in the lune valley ( Tebay area) representing the northern WCML. Another section may be of the ECML. This will demonstrate the different styles of 25kv electrification. A friend of mine is planning to build a section of the LTS that will also link up with the AC lines project. All the modules will be built to the same size so that they can be stacked for storage and unlike the YMR modules will be bolted together at shows. I was going to set the baseboard size at 6' x 2' ( as Potters ) but due to issues with transport the size will have to be reduced to 5' x 2'. All the modules will be through wired for power, video, ect using multi pin plugs.

87 101

Re: The AC Lines Project

Postby 87 101 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:59 pm

Another westcoast miniatures baseboard job has provided me with the opitunity of progressing with the AC lines project. The next new module is being built as part of a magazine artical that I will be writing on how to model the WCML. The new section mesures 5' x 2' and will be built to the AC lines spec. At the moment the new section consists of a sheet of 6mm ply but it allows me to visulise how the module will look. So to give you an idea of the size available heres a few pics. First up a few with some N gauge stock on as I had a crazy idea of rebuilding potters in N !

The HST is an 8 coach rake...

Ok the idea for the next section is a feeder station with a WCML relay room. For the mock up I have used the existing 00 gauge demo building but for the layout a slightly smaller one will be built.

A road bridge will be built at each end. One end will be done using concrete porthole sections. These will be cast in resin and will eventualy be available from the westcoast website. The other bridge will be a rebuilt arch. At one end there will be an access road down to the relay room that will be situated between the tracks. The double track mainline will pass across the front whilst the single line at the rear will split away. This line will link up with the headshunt behind the signal box on potters and will give us the opitunity to run stock in and out of the depot at shows independently of the main lines.

87 101

Postby 87 101 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:00 pm

Work on the first phase of the AC lines project has started with the conversioin of Potters Lane from a YMR module to an AC lines one. As Potters is a self contained box unit I have decided to do away with the old support frame. Instead I have fitted extensions to the layout that will allow the legs to bolt directly to the module. This will elimanate having to transport a seperate frame and should make setting up easer. This is the left hand side...

And this is the right...

The legs will fit into recesses at each end...

The end extensions will also allow the track to secured better and should elimanate some of the problems we have had at shows by removing the point work from the edge of the layout...

There is still a plywood panel to fit at each end. This will have holes drilled and captive nuts fitted so that the fiddle yards and additional modules can be bolted on. I will be making a metal template for the end panels so that they are all made the same. Whilst the top of the layout was off I took a few pics of the shed..

87 101

Postby 87 101 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:02 pm

Some of you will remember the Albert Dock branch on the Heatherburn railway. This never realy got past the track laying stage as I started building Potters lane about the same time. With the new AC lines project I need some track so it was time to make a dicission about the branch.

So tonight all the track has been lifted so that it can be reused on the current project. A plus point on loosing the branch is that I have gained a shelf so that I can get some of the junk off the garage floor ! Ok here is my current idea for the new section. At the front of the board will be a turn back siding. This will allow EMU's to stable before working back via the crossover on potters. The two track main line will run through the middle whilst the line from the depot headshunt will swing in behind the relay room before dissapearing under the flyover. A crossover will also connect this track to the main line. At the back I will attempt to build a flyover in the style of Rugby. This will be a challenge as there isn't enough room to fit the incline in properly so it's just as well that it will just be cosmetic !!

One idea is to fit a shuttle unit to the depot line so that a light loco can move between the depot and the flyover maintaining intrest for the viewer. The backscene is another that I have stored on the PC although with the new change of plan I may have to change the backscene.

thesludge

Postby thesludge » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:17 pm

8)

wow i look forward to reading this pal

NSE DAZ

Postby NSE DAZ » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:27 pm

Hi Dave,

Look forward to this one, as mentioned before Potters Lane in N :shock: now I know you are mad :lol: :wink:

Great to see you starting another project and look forward to the updates 8)

All the best Darren NSE DAZ
Unleashing the toothpaste livery!!!Thank you for travelling Network SouthEast

thomas the plank engine

Postby thomas the plank engine » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:10 pm

NSE DAZ wrote:Potters Lane in N

That would be interesting, but would you still allow visiting steam specials to run on it.

Looking forward to see this procress, as having been one of the lucky ones to see 'Potters Lane' in the flesh I now await with baited breath to see what is about to appear.

Ian

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:04 pm

Hi mate

Great to see more shots of The lane again and I'm looking forward to the new layout with much anticipation :)

Cheers fella

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

87 101

Postby 87 101 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:44 pm

Thanks guys well last night I cut the rest of the 2"x1" baseboard frame and then screwed and glued it to the 6mm ply sheet. Now that I have a soild base to work with I can start marking out all the track and then make a start on the concrete flyover. Poped over to B&Q this morning and priced up the timber and T nuts for the new legs for potters so I might get these tomorrow. Last night I mesured all the boards and the living room / dining room and discovered that I can put all four sections together with about 4" to spare !! :roll: :lol:

thomas the plank engine

Postby thomas the plank engine » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:58 pm

87 101 wrote: Last night I mesured all the boards and the living room / dining room and discovered that I can put all four sections together with about 4" to spare !!

Just hope that SWMBO is okay with that Dave :lol:

Ian

87 101

Postby 87 101 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:27 pm

Hope so as I need her to help me get the railway downstairs in the first place ! :lol: :roll:

87 101

Postby 87 101 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:31 pm

For the AC lines project I am scratchbuilding some stock to run on the layout. As well as a 312 EMU converted from some hornby mk2s and a 304 EMU that started life as a 117 DMU im also building 89001. This build is going well and tonight I have just won a class 60 trailing bogie for the project. So far the build has cost just under £10 !!

Further progress on the 89. First some detailing using mirrored vinyl starting with the battery box covers..

And the roof hatches..

A bit of paint..

The A side..

The B side..

Number 1 end taking shape..

Number 2 end marked out for the holes for the led lights..

Bodyside cut out for the foot steps and handrail receses...

The finished livery for the 89 will be IC swallow as it was at its naming. After looking through some pics on the net at the time of its naming 89001 still had yellow springs and axel box covers from when it was 'bulled up' for the mallard special in 88.

thomas the plank engine

Postby thomas the plank engine » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:23 am

As always Daaaavid, nice to see your scratchbuilding is on the mark.
Now we just need to hear that sound system in the background cranked up as well. :D

Ian

87 101

Postby 87 101 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:39 pm

Thats just my studio monitors in the background the big ones are up in the loft ! :roll:

87 101

Postby 87 101 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:59 pm

A bit more progress on Avocet. This afternoon I have built up the roof vents and bodyside grills. I have also done a bit more work on the number 1 cab end and fitted the distintive bodyside ribbing at cant rail level. I have also fitted the backs to the handrail openings. Realy there is just the buffer beam and lower cab front on the no 1 end to do before I can get the loco in primer. Aparently the trailing bogie has been posted so this may arrive tomorrow providing that it fits through the letter box ! A few piccys...

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”