Rayne St, Fictional N-Gauge Layout - Update 22/01/13

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
SouthernBoy

Re: Rayne St, Fictional N-Gauge Layout-Sprung Buffers Pg6

Postby SouthernBoy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:39 pm

Nice :)

" ...pre-production prototypes"

Which manufacturer will it be?

StevieDay

Postby StevieDay » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:37 pm

Hi Mark,
Yep pre-production. One thing I havent been able to find in the general market is sprung loaded buffer stops. A friend of mine has a small model making business, mainly OO. And I persuaded him to make me some for n-gauge & that there is a gap in the market. We've discussed various types of sprung buffers & these are the 1st, so a production trial.

I've found the back plate a little too wide at 27.5mm, so modified them this evening to 20mm, so they'll fit nicely at the platform end & the buffers over hang the rail perfectly to meet my loco buffers. Have drawn up the mods which I'' send to him. Will also be adding wooden sleeper backing to mine to give the back plate suitable support to the end of platform & weathering. Will post in due course (hopefully tomorrow) the finished items in situ.

If anyone is intersted in aquiring some. Please PM me & I'll forward you his e-mail addy. It would be inappropiate & would break T & Cs to post it on here.
Regards,
Steve

My Layout;- Rayne St, Fictional N-Gauge Layout viewtopic.php?t=30856

StevieDay

Postby StevieDay » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:23 am

Hi peeps,
Just a small update. For one reason or other havent been able to do the work planned.

Though have completed buffers and installed these;

I used this photo I found on google as a reference.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/carlisle1457/4892305324/in/photostream

Added sleeper backings. I know these are over size. But these had to accommadate travel of the pin of the buffer, that protrudes put the back of the faceplate, when the buffer is compressed. The pipes need weathering, but paint was still wet when the photos were taken.

This was fitted to the platform & then added an oil reservoir tank & pipes. Made from the from a small part of the frame of a Revell model kit & copper wire. The lights are cut from peco buffer frames.

Class 37 at the buffers

Last edited by StevieDay on Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Steve

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:37 am

Really nice work. Yikes! and I forgot this was N gauge so doubly impressive. They really looks the business :)

It reminds me of the massive buffers they have at Waterloo and I want some on my layout so thanks for the inspiration :)

mikem64

Postby mikem64 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:48 am

That is a super piece of work & a very nice touch for the layout, freaks me out how modellers work with such tiny models. You must have one steady set of hands & great eye sight.

Cheers,
Mike.
Wordsworth Model Railway Free Downloadable Card Kits can be found at here
http://www.wordsworthmodelrailway.co.uk
The Wordsworth Model Railway Photo Album
https://michael-martin.imgbb.com/

StevieDay

Postby StevieDay » Tue May 01, 2012 1:28 am

Thanks for the kind comments guys :D

One problem I had, was when drilling the holes in the left hand buffers to attach the pipes. Was I think I went through into the springs...... not so sprung now :oops: But the other works fine :D :D
Regards,
Steve

StevieDay

Re: Rayne St, Fictional N-Gauge Layout- Update 21/07/12

Postby StevieDay » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:28 pm

Hi Peep,
Thinks its about time for an update. Not I great deal done over the last 2mths, no major works so there's been no congestion on the roads :D :D :D Just some detailing.

This mainly was adding some scratch built fencing for the station carpark, the station yard, lineside, single gate rail crossing,greening up of scenary & a few lights added.

A section of fencing was inspired by the wire fencing on Pauls' Welton layout. When I said "That looked fiddly to do" & he said "he wouldn't like to try it in n-gauge"........ The words red flag & bull somes to mind :D

Enough talking so here's some photos;

1st of all I added a single gate rail crossing for access from the yard to the otherside & fencing made from large match sticks cut length ways in quarters, filed to shape, painted & cut to length ~9mm.

photo prior to yard completed.

Grass & weeds to be added at base of fencing, as do the arch retaining walls also require too.

Fencing for car park, made from single core wire & plasticard rod & brick wall at side of carpark.

This was the fiddly bit 3wire fence from crossing to loading platfrom. Only short section ~14cm but took a No of hrs to make. Mmmm shall I really do the other 37cm on the other side of the platform like this? :? :lol:

Wire & fence posts painted up.

Completed section

Close up

Wire fence in implanted

Couple of close ups

Overall view of yard area. Grass & weeds added at base of fences. But still need to add detailing, coal staiths, oil drums etc.

Greened up remaining scenary. Plenty more required, fences, bushes, trees, ivy on bridge etc

And added a few lights.... They a bit bright though 8) 8) 8) Need to reduce the voltage, the resin cast models leak like mad.
Regards,
Steve

Rustyrail

Postby Rustyrail » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:52 am

This is a really excellent layout Steve! I especially like the hills with the houses and the hydraulic buffer stops. This promises to be one of the nicest N gauge layouts on the forum together with Frankland by SouthernBoy.

Cheers
Simon

whistlehead

Postby whistlehead » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:18 am

This layout is looking fantastic! I like the rural scene on the hill, it really gives a sense of the layout being 'somewhere'

CheekyPaul

Postby CheekyPaul » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:37 am

You're doing well with your layout, and well done for being able to do the fencings that I challenged you to do so!

I used to model in N gauge when I was younger, but never got as far as doing scenic and I think you've done a good job. Sometimes I wonder if I should try N gauge again cos I know I would get more in a small space than OO gauge!

StevieDay

Postby StevieDay » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:32 pm

Thanks for your kind comments guys :) :) :)

Yep you can get so much more into the space with n gauge Paul. But you lose a certain amount of detail in n compared to OO & the more realistic feel of the larger scales. Although the quality of stock has improved a great deal in recent years. I suppose in this hobby of ours, there are always compromises to be made. But then it wouldnt be as much fun if it was made easy :D
Regards,
Steve

tractor37

Postby tractor37 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:53 am

Hi there... Just been looking at your last update.. Loving the attention to detail pal.. Very nice indeed. Even better considering its all in 'N'. And yup those resin buildings dont half bleed light.. First stop for me is always black acrylic paint slathered over the inside, works a treat everytime...
Keep up the good work squire..
Jas... :D

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:11 am

Yup, would second the black paint tip (or black insulation tape).

Superb work on the scenics. The photos are really atmospheric. The wire fence is a fiddly job (I should know!) but definitely worth the time & effort. It is surprising how everyday items can be used to great effect as demonstrated here.

StevieDay

Re: Rayne St, Fictional N-Gauge Layout

Postby StevieDay » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:00 am

Thanks for your kind comments Jas & Chris & the tip about using black acrylic paint, I'll definitely be trying that one. :D :D

Was also thinking of adding a resistor in the circuit to tone done the brightness. Not sure if it needs to be placed in the + or - side of the curcuit. Better do a bit of googling. Otherwise if I get it wrong I think it'll increase the voltage :o :lol: :lol:
Regards,
Steve

HARRYMALLARD

Re: Rayne St, Fictional N-Gauge Layout

Postby HARRYMALLARD » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:24 pm

on the + side if I remember correctly, otherwise on the - side :lol:
My layouts:

Clicky here --> Image
Gasworks Lane micro layout

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”