Rayne St, Fictional N-Gauge Layout - Update 22/01/13

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
StevieDay

Re: Rayne St, Fictional N-Gauge Layout

Postby StevieDay » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:55 am

For the parking area in the station & the B roads. I've decided to use ballast to make these. The ballast as is, is much too large scale wise for this & will leave a very rough surface. My plan is to 1st to partially grind down the ballast & to put down a base layer of ballast affixed to the surface using double sided sticky tape. On top of this the ballast will be applied using the usual method of ballasting track with dilute PVA glue. After about 8 -10hrs the glue & ballast are still malliable enough to be worked by using a 1 & half inch roller I got from poundland.

I did a trial piece 1st. Although the sample is not as good as I intended. This was due to rolling it only after 4hrs hrs & some of the ballasting came up on the roller. But the areas circled show this'll work & can always be painted as in the blue circled area. Though except for surface weathering, I hope this wont be neccessary & intend using mixed shades of ballast to achieve the desired appearanace. Also items such as pot holes can then be picked out of the finished surface.

Here's the roads & parking area with their base layer of ballast fixed down with double sided sticky tape.

Last edited by StevieDay on Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Regards,
Steve

My Layout;- Rayne St, Fictional N-Gauge Layout viewtopic.php?t=30856

ASFC

Postby ASFC » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:53 pm

Some cracking shots of a cracking layout! :D I had never thought of that way of making roads before! <makes mental note for future use>
My New N gauge layout thread 'Chinley': viewtopic.php?f=22&t=41038

My Old N gauge layout thread 'Ollerton': viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32899

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:15 pm

Hello StevieDay,

I like the work you're doing there with road cambers and surface textures etc.

Two questions:

Why do you make the pavements from card rather than ready-made plastic paving sheet like Slaters? Is it to save money? Or is it because you think the finish looks better/is just more individual than buying off-the-shelf? What do you use to scribe the card? And does the scribing leave a 'lip' that needs levelling back down? ... I'm just curious :)

For the road surface made using ballast: Have you thought of mixing it with plaster?
It's something I thought of after I'd finished my roads and wished I'd thought of it earlier. Doh!
In particular I thought most roads are made of stones/chippings etc mixed with something like tar to hold them in place (or earth which happens to have stones/other material in it to varying degrees in the case of country lanes etc).

Either way, by varying the percentage of ballast to plaster, and similarly varying the degree to which you 'roll' the road flat depending on whether it's a main town road or farm-side lane - you could possibly get quite effective results ...

Anyway, I'm rambling :?

Nice work as always. I think the lanes in the last picture look really effective - keep the updates coming :)

fratton

Postby fratton » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:38 pm

Love that technique especially the potholes part as you can leve real depth to the surface,,,

some great work,,,,

StevieDay

Postby StevieDay » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:05 am

Thanks for you comments guys.

Hi Mark, to your questions & they're all valid.
When I 1st wanted to put some paving down, the only paving I could find was Slaters, but only in OO. I had some white card (backing in new shirt from a well known cheap store...... Matalan :lol: ) It was the ideal thickness & could be scribed. I used the back blade of the point of a scalpel to create the paving lines. The scribing doesnt tend to leave a lip though. But where it does or if you make a mistake. The top coating of the card is plastic enough, so you can run the flat part of the blade over it & smooth it over. Also I found when painting, that when nearly dry, rubbing it with a finger gives a texture effect.

As to mixing the ballast with plaster. One thing I came across was to mix pva with polyfilla & paint it over the ballasted surface. I tried this in a early trial, but my initial surface was too coarse for it to be effective. The initial surface would need to be something like the better parts of the trial sample & then applying it in a liquid form. This is something I have in mind as a back up. But as this would need to be painted. I would like my road surface to have the mottled effect that mettled country roads have. So I intend to use a mixture of ballasts applied with PVA as a top coat for the road & this rolled when its almost set to achieve a smooth surface.
Regards,
Steve

rabbitaway

Postby rabbitaway » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:44 pm

Steve

For the un-made roads try a second layer of fine sand over the ballast applied using the same method as wet ballasting track and then wash with a watered down acrylic gray paint.

I found the same problem with the roads being too coarse even using the finest track ballast so I went for the above.

Hope this is of help

StevieDay

Postby StevieDay » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:29 pm

rabbitaway wrote:Steve

For the un-made roads try a second layer of fine sand over the ballast applied using the same method as wet ballasting track and then wash with a watered down acrylic gray paint.

I found the same problem with the roads being too coarse even using the finest track ballast so I went for the above.

Hope this is of help

Thanks for the tip Rabbitway, I'll keep in mind for when I had the top layer. You cant see it in the trail photo, but the grains of ballast had started to become flattened & merge into each other. So I think my method should work. The critical thing will be timing of rolling the surface. Too early and the ballast will come up in clumps. Too late the ballast will have set too hard to be pliable enough to roll :shock: :D
Regards,
Steve

StevieDay

Postby StevieDay » Wed May 11, 2011 9:54 pm

Ooer, I just popped on to add an update & noticed most of my pictures are missing. I've checked photobucket & everything seems as was. The image addresses on the thread look ok too. But when I tried to replace a like for like image an error message *Unable To Determine Dimensions* pops up.

Has anyone else had this problem or is it just NRM site having a moment?
Regards,
Steve

StevieDay

Postby StevieDay » Wed May 11, 2011 10:12 pm

Anyway here's an update & fingers crossed images will upload :shock:

As from my last update. I've been trying to make country roads using ballast & dilute PVA glue, then when near dry, rolling it into a smooth surface.

I can say this has been................. a qualified failure :D :D :D

Here's images on what I tried to do.

Used masking tape to define road surface, ballast laid, smoothed out & 1 in 4 pva to water solution added

Area rolled with one & a half inch roller, though smoothing surface with back of a spoon was just as effective

Regards,
Steve

StevieDay

Postby StevieDay » Wed May 11, 2011 10:30 pm

Then over the days I've been re-wetting with the PVA solution & rolling it. Though I found using the spoon was better for compacting the surface, as it has a smaller surface area. But not as good at creating a uniform surface. Also using the roller can become problem when using on a re-wetted surface. As the ballast can become stuck to the roller, lifting a large section on a couple of occasions :shock: :shock:

These are the images of after last re-wet & rolling session.

I wasnt happy with the final finish & also my mix of ballast, whilst off grey when dry ended up brown after PVA was added. Instead using the other possible techniques mentioned earlier to remedy the problem. I decided on plan C......... File, scrape & fettle the surface to a better finish & paint the roads.

This how they come out painted up

I then added some pothole. This was done, mainly by painting the defective surface areas that occured when making the roads. In some areas I chipped out some of the ballast to make them a bit bigger

Overall I'm quite happy with the result. Although painted there is still some texture in the road surface. Just need to add white lines & in some areas touch up the weathering.
Regards,
Steve

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Wed May 11, 2011 11:19 pm

Hello StevieDay,

Afraid I can't help with the image problem - the only time I encountered this was when re-organising my albums, so file-paths changed ... but I guess you covered that. Hope you can get it sorted!

I have to say I admire the work you've put into getting your road surfaces as you want them - you certainly have perseverance, and that's a quality I appreciate. The finish you've come up with looks just right and I'm sure when blended in with grass etc along the road-side it will look even more convincing :)

In my book 'hats off' to you for taking an individual approach and not going for something out-of-the-box, it gives your layout character :)

StevieDay

Postby StevieDay » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:13 am

Hi peeps,
Its been a long while since I last posted, due to more important issues on home front, combined with a loss of interest with the railway. Such is life :lol: & thread had slipped down to page 6 (same page as Grotland, so in good keeping)

But my interest has re-surfaced over last few weeks & work has resumed.......... albeit at a snails pace :D

1st of all work has continued on the river & stream. This finally coming to a conclusion & to allow further progress across the board.

Regards,
Steve

StevieDay

Postby StevieDay » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:33 am

Also have painted the tunnel mouths & built a retaining wall to go by the tunnel in the country station. Not overly happy with the retaining wall, so this'll be further grotted up & once appropiate foliage etc in place, hopefully it'll blend into place.

The main problem with it is that it needs to be curved & angled into the scenery (not 90 degree vertical). This means that the support pillars of the arches on the curve have to splay outward. But when in place appear vertical when viewed from the front....... if you know what I mean :?

Retaining wall glued in place.

Also had a bash at making a weeping willow tree out of wire & added threads of cotton foliage (cotton soaked in pva/polyfilla, painted & scatter glued on). Not happy with the result. So may add further amounts of cotton foliage. Or stretch some foliage I have over the branches......... Thinking cap time for this.
Regards,
Steve

Durseytu
Location: Trying to make progress on the layout... pigs will fly (hohoho)

Postby Durseytu » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:47 am

I'm not sure I noticed this layout before, so it must have been a long time. Shocking. Where is that Grotland then? I think we all go through a modelling burn every now and then, but it's good to see that you are getting back into the swing of things. The river looks fantastic, although if I were to do something similar I think I could get very impatient with how long it took for each layer of varnish to dry. What did you use to make the white water effect out of curiosity?

Anyhoo looking good, and I shall look forward to further updates.

Cheers,

Stuart
ImageImage

StevieDay

Postby StevieDay » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:00 am

Durseytu wrote:I'm not sure I noticed this layout before, so it must have been a long time. Shocking. Where is that Grotland then? I think we all go through a modelling burn every now and then, but it's good to see that you are getting back into the swing of things. The river looks fantastic, although if I were to do something similar I think I could get very impatient with how long it took for each layer of varnish to dry. What did you use to make the white water effect out of curiosity?

Anyhoo looking good, and I shall look forward to further updates.

Cheers,

Stuart

Thanks for the kind comments Stuart,
Yep it has been a while since I last updated, back in May.

The white water was done by applying off white shades of green & blue acrylic paint with a fine brush. building up lighter shades as each applications dries. Topping of with white paint to highlight small areas of the fastest moving water. A last layer of varnish was then applied to seal.

Andrews Grotland thread is on page 6. Its a master class in my opinion of scratch building & weathering.

Had another bash at my weeping willow.

With this done & painted in the lily pads in the river behind the weir. I can install the road bridge & finish this part of the river scene. The rest of the layout has been waiting for this to be done :roll: :lol:
Regards,
Steve

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”