Rayne St, Fictional N-Gauge Layout - Update 22/01/13

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
StevieDay

Re: Rayne St, Fictional N-Gauge Layout - Update 22/01/13

Postby StevieDay » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:49 pm

Hi guys,
Thanks very much for your kind comments, it makes the effort all that more worthwhile.

@Paul.....Yes I remember you excellent Welton layout, such quick development, yet of great quality. Good luck with your new n-gauge layout, will keep my eyes peeled for it.

@Mika.....I didnt measure out the ratio, it just by eye. But on reflection I'd say about 3:1 water to tube paint & the scores need to be reasonably deep to hold the paint, leave paint 1 to 2 mins to dry & wipe with a dry cloth. Dont use tissue its too absorbant.
The main factors though I'd say are; Paint to water ratio, drying time & temperature. On looking back I should have done a test piece to find best drying time.
But if it does over dried like I did. The excess paint can be removed using a cocktail stick that has been shaped into the type of flat ended stick that women use to remove nail cuticles.

@ Mark..... Yep I'll send him over, he's a bit frail, grumpy & likes to take his time :lol: :lol: :lol:
And I'll post an up to date picture of the view you requested. Damn means all the bits to be done will be in view :lol: :lol: :lol:
I actually started the layout 6yrs ago & joined the forum 2yrs ago. Been a bit slow over last couple of yrs for various reasons.
Regards,
Steve

My Layout;- Rayne St, Fictional N-Gauge Layout viewtopic.php?t=30856

StevieDay

Postby StevieDay » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:56 pm

Nearly forgot to say. Its brillant layouts of the likes of Mark, Paul, Phil C, Jim & a number of others. They show what can be done & inspires me to try new things. Then they raise the bar higher to new heights & we have to try to follow.
Regards,
Steve

Eastern
Location: Portland, Oregon. USA - originally from East Anglia

Postby Eastern » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:15 am

Wonderful modelling - I am really impressed with the garden and green house especially how it fits so well into the layout. I also like the flow of the roads and houses - the bungalow looks very well kept with all the flowers and it's in N guage to boot!
Talk about raising the bar! - I think you've just done that!
“Sir, Sunday morning, although recurring at regular and well foreseen intervals, always seems to take this railway by surprise.”
William S Gilbert

Charles

StevieDay

Postby StevieDay » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:34 am

Thanks Eastern, thats very kind of you.
Others like Southern Boy set it & the challenge for us is to follow. If wasnt for this site I wouldnt tried to make half the items on the layout.
Regards,
Steve

StevieDay

Postby StevieDay » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:00 am

SouthernBoy wrote:Well I've been back and read-through from the start - I can't believe it's only two years ago you started this layout - you must be really pleased with how much you've achieved in such a short time!

And I've a special request ... I'd love to see a few pictures taken from the operator's perspective - it will be interesting for instance to see how the view below compares to an overview of the same scene now :)

Hi mate here's the up to date pictures of the view you posted.

This one I think closest match of elevation. But the high point of hill obscures view. Top of hill is 103 scale ft above the river.

This higher elavation is a better view. But camera gives a false sense of depth, making it look longer than actually is.

As from the operators view, these photos are panning right to left. Cleared most of clutter away to show worts & all :lol: :lol: :lol:

As you can see there's loads more work still to do.
Last edited by StevieDay on Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Steve

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:47 pm

Thanks Steve,

Sometimes with close-up pictures and general views it's difficult to know exactly where you are in terms of the big overview ... but now I can picture myself in that helicopter zooming in on the more detailed scenes as you present them.

I have to say the panoramas are quite impressive - and remind me of what a really neatly designed layout this is in terms of track-plan as well as scenics.

"Others like Southern Boy set it & the challenge for us is to follow."
Erm, and don't forget the N gauge watering can - now if that's not setting a standard I don't know what is! :)

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:32 am

Hi Steve - The layout is looking really great, that is my kind of layout (as you might expect). Those last two views realy give a great impression of distance. Thank God I didn't get into N gauge when I returned to the hobby, lord only knows what sort of convoluted track plan I would have ended up with :)

Any plans to expand?

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

StevieDay

Postby StevieDay » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:45 pm

Your welcome Mark. I agree having an over view of the layout gives the viewer a better understanding of the OPs plans. Although I'm as guilty as everyone else when submitting photos, in focussing on the bits completed or near complete & hiding the parts yet to be done :lol: :lol:

Thanks re the watering can, it was fiddly the 1st attempt fell apart when I painted it :o :lol: As to setting the bar your construction of your buildings & detailing most certainly sets it high.

Hi Jim,
Thanks for your kind comments. Yes I do have plans to expand, but this'll be when money & space will allow. I would like to extend the terminus end by up to 3ft so that platforms 1 to 4 become through lines, looping round to a lower level. This area would also be part covered by streets & buildings to hide most of the loop. Platforms 5 - 7 and goods yard would remain terminated. Though scope to extend at least one siding & maybe add another.
I'd also have the single line, that currently loops round via a tunnel, split & diverted under the terminus station & loop round to join the 4 extended lines. I'd also have some sidings in this location so it can also act as a fiddle yard. The main lines then rejoining where the church is.
Regards,
Steve

retroman

Postby retroman » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:48 pm

Just found this layout for the first time.

It is delightful. Some of the detailing is first class.

I couldn't cope with N gauge, far too small - more power to you!
1980s 50 and 37 basher. English Electric Roadie ....... Steam sniffers, move along please.

My Layout: MARSHFIELD WITH ELY BRIDGE
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=14241

StevieDay

Postby StevieDay » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:17 pm

Evening peeps,
Haven't been on here for quite a while. Lot been happening - Back in work for last 6mths, started beekeeping & helping a friend with his saffron growing.

Due to being busy with the above & also planning to move, little has happened with the layout. Except for a bit of work on garden of other house & fencing next to the bridleway.

And a close up of fencing

Plenty more needs adding to this part of the scene, undergrowth bushes & trees.
Regards,
Steve

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:26 pm

The detailing and overall appearance of this layout is first class. I think you've got the rolling hills just right - too often model railways have sharp peaks in my opinions - but this is just right.

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:31 pm

Excellent work there Steve - your scenics are really convincing.

Will you be able to take the layout with you when you move or will it be a new start?

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”