Rayne St, Fictional N-Gauge Layout - Update 22/01/13

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Daniel11

Re: Rayne St, Fictional N-Gauge Layout

Postby Daniel11 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:40 am

Geat layout. Very impressive modelling. :D :D
Regards Daniel
Staverton Junction-
A preserved railway in a fictional location. Complete with Harbour, Mainline station with branch line connection and extensive loco depot.

Blue_2

Postby Blue_2 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:56 am

Excellent modelling. And in N too... :shock:
Weekend toy, Victor XL231's blog- http://victorxl231.blogspot.com/ Admittedly not a train, but classic, British and LOUD!
My OO work in progress: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=36766

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:39 pm

Blimy! How on earth have I missed this layout :shock: Really top notch stuff. Like the fencing but the buffers really do it fot me. Love it!

StevieDay

Postby StevieDay » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:25 pm

Thanks for your kind comments guys.

Still loads to do. But beside a little bit of wiring, little done has been done since :(
Regards,
Steve

My Layout;- Rayne St, Fictional N-Gauge Layout viewtopic.php?t=30856

BROADTRAIN1979

Postby BROADTRAIN1979 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:24 pm

Hi Steve as with the chief , dont know how i missed this like the scratch builds i had the same idea with the wire fencing as you great job! if i may , the lighted buildings also a great feature, just a tip, if you paint the buildings black in side you wont get the light shine through the building. superb stuff though, and a long time building it !

Mark :)
Youll never find a 501 like mine.

JohnN

Postby JohnN » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:11 pm

That's fantastic work there Steve. I'm especially impressed by your river, tunnel mouths, roads and the retaining walls. :)

StevieDay

Postby StevieDay » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:56 pm

Thanks Mark & John, your kind comments are appreciated.

Thanks for the tip re painting interior black. I'll need to cut the base out to access the interior. So I'll need to purchase a suitable mini saw blade, as the resin base is about 5mm thick.

Progress has been slow of late. :o

Though I've have done a bit of scenic work. Hope to have something worthwhile to post later this week.
Regards,
Steve

StevieDay

Re: Rayne St, Fictional N-Gauge Layout - Update 22/01/13

Postby StevieDay » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:21 pm

Hi Peeps,
Time for a long over due update.

I've been concentrating on the scenic area by the bungalow, where the line enters the tunnel by the branch line station.
This consisted of a fence to run along the top of the embankment to the tunnel & scenic development along the lane, hedges, few trees & garden for the bungalow. Including some scratch building of items, which I'll explain.

Ok piccies time;

1st is a greenhouse I made from plastic sheeting (this the window of an old metcalfe pack). A compost heap made from a cut & whittled down match stick, compost slithers of painted match stick & various flock. The shelving for green house from cereal cardboard & plant pots from rolled prepainted strips of paper. Scale size 10 x 8ft, actual size 20 x 16mm & 20mm high at top of apex.

The green house was made from one peice of plastic, from a drawn template. This made it a lot easier to assemble. The window frames where made by aligning & scoring the sheet over the drawn template. Painting the surface with dilute acrylic & wiping away the excess. Though with this process, if you dont leave it on long enough, you wipe all of it off. Or too long it part dries on the panes & you spend ages scrapping off the excess. I made both mistakes :lol: :lol: :lol:

Add flowers and make base from cardboard for green house to stand on.

Assemble.

And add watering can. Made from a strip of prepainted A4 paper. The top of can was created by controlling how the paper is rolled. Handle is a slither of paper glued on. And spout, is paper rolled & formed to shape.

For my next item take 4 strips of 1mm wide paper cut from the side of a sheet of A4 paper (just 1 shown here) & 1 match stick.

Do you now what it is yet? (note Aussie accent :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Chop match stick into posts of approx 0.6mm square & 12mm long. Paint paper in rough mixes of acrylic & water colour.

Cut strips into approx lengths of 7.5mm & 11.5mm & overlay them to up to 15mm high. Repaint the backs with PVA, this'll add strength to them.
When dry square off into 2 lots of 6 x 15 and 10 x 12 sheets. Add your posts to just inside of the 2 10mm long sheets.

So is it a fence or something else?

Cut a 3mm apex to each of the 6 x 12mm sheets & add 0.5mm wide strips to inside of apexes.
And start to assemble.

Add a roof and you have a garden shed.

Next chop a couple of match sticks into 14 off approx 0.6 x 18mm, paint light brown & twist some woodland scenics fibre foliage around them. Also make stick of 0.7 x 32mm with no foliage.

Any ideas?

Assemble wigwam style & trim legs so they'll sit on you prepared area. Trim off excess foliage & twist some excess strands or add to support bar.
I repainted with acrylics to darken the foliage & flicked & added some red paint for flowers.

And you have a rack of runner bean plants.

I added these items to the bungalow garden, which I had readied prior to the scratch built items. Hedges, couple of trees, walled garden with flowering shrubs & a vegatable garden. Vegatables made from bits of foliage & lichen to represent cabbages, brocolli etc.

Oops need to add a washing line :shock:

Looks like Mr Hodgson is in.

View up the road. Still plenty to do around the house opposite. Am please with how the ditch feature is comin along.

Mr Hodgson visits his neighbour. Cos of a dodgy knee he decides to drive :D

The views from further back & station, shows there's plenty more to do.

Not to happy with appearance of the brick work above the tunnel mouth, think it needs more weathering.

One thing is missing form this update. Beside people.........Trains!!!

So here's a few photos;

Class37 D6707 pulls into the branch line station

Class37238 leave Rayne St platform 1, while the City of Hereford sits in the engine shed.

92018 leaves the goods yard with a rake of wagons

Class108 sitting at the buffers at platform 7

Thats all for now. Comments, questions & criticisms are always welcome.
Regards,
Steve

thebritfarmer

Postby thebritfarmer » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:39 pm

Absolutely brilliant !! All the stuff for the garden is sheer genius !! Nicely done.
All Aboooooard !!

CheekyPaul

Postby CheekyPaul » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:02 pm

Looking great! You've done well so far.

You'll remember me from my OO gauge layout, Welton, that was sold last year because of the house move.

I am now in the middle of designing a new layout, and guess what? This time I'm going for n-gauge, a new challenge for me. I hope to do as good as yours!

Will be re-reading your forum again to get some ideas and learn new ways of doing things :)

mika

Postby mika » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:06 pm

Hi Steve,

that's very impressive :shock: . That garden looks brilliant and the use of every-day material for your scratch-building is absolutely inspiring. Particularly, I like the watering can.
One question concerning the greenhouse (which, by the way, is very neat work). I tried that scoring-painting-wiping technique too but it didn't really work. I think, I'll have to give it another go, now that you've shown that it can be done :lol: . You said you used diluted acrylics. May I ask what the ratio was?

All the best,
Michael
My layout 'Sudbury-on-Sea'

My German layout 'Zinnroda (Thür.)'

JohnN

Postby JohnN » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:24 pm

Hi Steve,

I'm impressed at your ability to scratchbuild such small items -they look fantastic. :D

I like the bungalow with the moggie / front garden scene. I also like the grass triangle at the road junction. It all these little touchs that make this such a great layout. :D

Can't wait for the next installment. :)

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:35 pm

Excellent work Steve - the greenhouse and interior is impressive enough - but the watering can is exceptional!

It goes without saying that the shed and runner beans are equally impressive. I'll have to invite your gardener over to Frankland sometime!

I think I'm going to have to go back and read your thread from page 1 just for the joy of seeing how everything has developed again :)
Last edited by SouthernBoy on Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:04 pm

Another stunning exhibition of 'N' modelling.
Brilliant workmanship with a full greenhouse !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:14 pm

Well I've been back and read-through from the start - I can't believe it's only two years ago you started this layout - you must be really pleased with how much you've achieved in such a short time!

And I've a special request ... I'd love to see a few pictures taken from the operator's perspective - it will be interesting for instance to see how the view below compares to an overview of the same scene now :)

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”