Finsbury Road - Life is good again.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
raistlin295

Finsbury Road - Life is good again.

Postby raistlin295 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:42 pm

I started railway modelling a few years back but a car accident and resultant loss of sensation in my right arm meant it had to be abandoned. A lot of physio and a little luck though, and last September I decided that my recovery was sufficient to start again.

Finsbury Road is a fictitious location a few miles north of King's Cross on the ECML circa 1975/1980 which honours the memory of Finsbury Park. It is a stabling point for King's Cross locomotives and a small but busy TMD. In addition, there is a single platform for DMU services, where the train has to reverse, which run from KX to Hitchin and there is also a factory, well known for producing 'widgets' which is served by a set of three small sidings.

The passenger station is co-located with the Finsbury Road underground station and makes a convenient commuter interchange for those who don't have to travel all the way into KX.

The layout as you see it now is at the stage where all wiring is complete and tested with the exception of the colour light signals which have their cables installed but owing to their delicate structures are not yet fixed in place.

Finsbury Road is DCC controlled, with a fleet of some 20 (at the moment) locomotives and two DMU sets, all with sound and, where available, lights. All locomotives are detailed at both ends, this being a TMD, with the exception of the class 25 and class 31 which are equipped with Kadee couplings to facilitate shunting in the factory sidings and TTA movements to and from the fuel discharge point.

The Hornsey Carriage Sidings class 03 pilot can often bee seen here.

The sharp (18") curve leading to the fiddle yard will be hidden in due course, by a plate girder bridge, which will extend from the front of the baseboard to the rear where it will be a direct road access to the urban area of Finsbury Road and its environs. The three sidings in the TMD to the right have been extended as far as the right hand wall since these photos were taken.

As it stands at the moment, the rails have been painted 'rusty' and ballasting of the moving parts areas of the point-work has begun.

The control panel is set upon a small filing cabinet with castors so it can be pushed under the layout when not in use. All wiring connections are via two 55 way and one 12 way multi-pole bayonet type plugs and sockets which enables the control panel to be disconnected completely in a second or two, allowing maximum space to get under the baseboard as and when required.

TMD, shunting and a limited amount of passenger traffic... my idea of heaven :)

There is no way that I would have reached this stage without the unstinting help of so many of the forum members who were gracious enough to answer my interminable questions. Guys, you know who you are. Please accept my grateful thanks :D

First of all, the track plan:-

Last edited by raistlin295 on Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:48 pm, edited 24 times in total.
Paul

Finsbury Road My Layout

50035 Ark Royal

Re: Finsbury Road - underway at last.

Postby 50035 Ark Royal » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:14 pm

Hi Paul good solid start and a nice variety of locos, but surely you need a lot more Deltics, Only 1 :shock: id say at least another 9 say 6 FP, 2 HA and 1 GD based loco.Your layout but i would have 55003/007/009/012/015 and 018 As Finsbury Park locos 55016/022 and finally GD 55014.
So how many Deltics do you plan to have? and could we have a list of your loco fleet?
many thanks
Ian
Favourite Class Hoover (Class 50)
Fifty Alliance Member shares in 35/44/49
Favourite all time loco 50035 Ark Royal

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:38 pm

Hi there

My dad used to live opposite Finsbury Park on Seven Sisters Road and I have happy memories of standing atop the footbridge (the one you cross when you exit the park westward) over the ECML and watching HSTs, 47s and the rest going about their business in various standards of blue and grey. The HSTs were always immaculate of course! I also used to sometimes got to the depot up the road from Hornsey.

Standing waiting for a train into 'town' at Finsbury Park Station was always something to look forward to as well. My dad, bless him, would let us 'accidentally' miss a train or two so I could watch the expresses accelerate through North or begin to coast down the hill towards the Cross. And if we were on the wester-most (northbound) platform,I'd have a gander at the old Pullman carriage too 8)

Cheers fella, Like this so far and look forard to seeing what is already a good track plan turn into a 'proper' railway ;) I like the arrangement in the fiddle yard BTW. Very clever design for your purpose :idea:

Cheers mate

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:25 pm

I like the history you've devised - and you've got a bit of every operation in there (passenger, freight and loco), plus a solid start to the practical side of things too.

So now I'll look forward to the scenic side of things :)
Last edited by SouthernBoy on Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wolvesdug

Postby wolvesdug » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:09 pm

Paul
Looks like you made a good start :D

raistlin295

Postby raistlin295 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:43 pm

Thanks for the positive comments chaps :)

The main scenic item will be a plate girder bridge from front to back of the layout as mentioned above. That is in the very capable hands of another member of this forum who has been very kind to me. More on that as and when it happens.

@ Ian:-

I actually have two Deltics, 001 and 007, and will no doubt acquire another soon :) To be fair though, at nearly £200 a pop including modification, detailing etc., I think SWMBO might have something to say if the layout begins to resemble Finsbury Park too closely :lol:

Examples of the Peaks were seen quite often at FP as I recall so Great Gable and Honourable Artillery Company are justified a place in my stable.

It's a shame that I can't find any evidence of Western Region locomotives visiting FP. A Western or Warship would be nice to see occasionally but I think that's carrying things a little too far... unless anybody knows different :)

@ SouthernBoy:-

I do like to have at least some coherent history and raison d'etre in the layout to justify my outrageous use of modeller's license on occasion ;) It's an ideal way to blend what was really there with what I want to be there... and get away with it :lol:
Last edited by raistlin295 on Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Paul

Finsbury Road My Layout

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:55 pm

Well Paul, if, in the short term, you just want to do a 21st century version of Finsbury Road, you could always just cover it with (yet another bl**dy) retail park, as I'm certain that's what would have probably happened to it by now, lol! :lol:

On a more serious note Paul, do you have an idea of the whereabouts of your buildings-to-be? Maybe got a sketch with things 'in situ' or owt? No worries if not: I'm sure I can wait until it becomes reality :wink:

Cheers

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

raistlin295

Postby raistlin295 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:05 pm

Other than the factory and one or two buildings to the front right of the bridge to disguise the sharp curve to the fiddle yard, there won't be a great deal of scope for buildings Tim. The Retaining walls will be approx 5" from the back wall and 1" from the left hand wall so low relief will be the order of the day. I'd like to have some industrial units in the arches of the retaining walls and so road access to the lower level will have to be clear and logical.

The retaining walls will not be as tall as they are now. They are just there for illustration and will be cut down to blend in with the bridge :)

I do propose to have the entrance to the Finsbury Road underground / British Rail exchange station just above where the passenger platform will be ( the long siding just above the three factory sidings). The imagined pedestrian access will be from the main entrance down the escalator to level one which is the British Rail level, the platform being accessed by a subway. The Underground level will be a stage deeper and as such will never be seen in this layout ;)
Paul

Finsbury Road My Layout

50035 Ark Royal

Postby 50035 Ark Royal » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:50 am

Hi Paul ok please can we have some pics of St Paddy and Pinza.
It is your layout so use a bit of modellers Licence a Western could have worked a railtour as from in books i nlow 1023 Fusilier worked to York on one so just rewrite history.Im running present day heritage, but rewriting history as having a Class 50 that got scrapped but should have been saved in my eyes.
So a Western or Warship go for it :lol:

champion

Postby champion » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:07 am

Another all inspiring layout on the go and like old oak common remember finsbury park very well.Its just a pity i might not be on here much longer to injoy this progress.Well done and good to see memorys flooding back.
richard.
D1011 western thunderer.
Fav loco class 52 Western
R.I.P Old oak common
Layout Old oak common hydraulic heydays its future in the balance.

0121modeller
Location: Erdington, Birmingham,.... but can also be found at various railway bridges !

Postby 0121modeller » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:00 am

Hi Paul,
Looks to be the initial foundations of a great project you've started here, & as said by others, the emphasis on key aspects based on a real location & era adds to the interest.

It was good to chat the other day & I'm glad to have shared some idea's & give my advice & give any assistance where needed.

In my own experience, the initial planning itself is itself often very fulfilling, during my earliest days of modelling I would often spend hours pondering thoughts of how key features would look best portrayed with the limited space I had, so I can see you've already sewn the seeds for a great start with this :) .

Dave.
Scratchbuilding 4mm scale JXA scrapwagons ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37620
Scratchbuilt & kit built grappler claw cranes ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36342

raistlin295

Postby raistlin295 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:07 am

50035 Ark Royal wrote:Hi Paul ok please can we have some pics of St Paddy and Pinza.

Here they are. They were both 55001 originally but 55007 is my favourite Deltic so had to be on the layout :)

Photos not taken at Finsbury Road, of course.

I appreciate your comment about rail-tours Ian but, while I'd be happy to host visiting locomotives, I think I need to concentrate on the classes that would 'probably' have been at Finsbury Road, had the location existed :)
Paul

Finsbury Road My Layout

50035 Ark Royal

Postby 50035 Ark Royal » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:22 am

Hi Paul WOW, what can i say Pinza with the white cabs that is absoloutely hellfire, so how come no 7 your favourite?
Love the model and i am presuming bot fitted with sound.
Yes i know what you mean concentrate on the loco's you would have seen on the Park, so prewsumably you need some more 31/4's with the white stripe? 47's and of course the mighty Deltics.
Love the pics of Pinza and St Paddy, thanks for sharing.
Ian
ps I lowe your Avatar, how did you do that?
Will be watching this with interest, never saw FP in real life a bit before my time but my brother had a book called Profile of the Deltics and the front cover was Deltics on Finsbury Park and it looked absoloutely fantastic, and if i had a time machine would love to go there and see and take pics of all those mighty Deltics undergoing maintenance/servicing etc.
Depot layouts are great, aren't they limited stock shunting on and off the fueling point etc

raistlin295

Postby raistlin295 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:22 am

Thank you again Ian :)

7 was the first Deltic, in fact the first locomotive of any class, which I managed to cab from Gateshead to Newcastle Central Station. That sort of experience remains with you :)

That isn't my work btw. All my locomotives have been weathered / detailed by RBW. Richard, the proprietor, objected a little when I asked him to do an open driver's window on 7 but he took it as a challenge and it looks brilliant on the model :)

My avatar is supposed to look like the shed designation plate would have done if Finsbury Road had existed. I just drew it in Coreldraw, basing the drawing on the FP shed designator.
Last edited by raistlin295 on Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Paul

Finsbury Road My Layout

Splop.

Postby Splop. » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:30 am

Don't know if it's any help, but:

"D1013 Western Ranger rolls into Arley station on the Severn Valley Railway on 4 July 1987. Although the loco is based on the line and obviously sees frequent use, this is not quite the normal passenger working it would appear to be. The clue is in the headcode, as this in in fact part of a railtour from London, which was brought to the SVR behind 37044 & 37091. The Hertfordshire Railtours 1Z37 07:30 Finsbury Park to Bridgnorth (SVR) & Rothley (GCR) 'Independent' railtour. Obviously given the date of the tour we all know what railtour name means!"

So the modelers license here could be that D1013 hauled the tour throughout.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”