Hammy's layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Hammy

Hammy's layout

Postby Hammy » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:25 am

Hi People,

I've been lurking about for a while holding off putting up some pics until theres something to look at!

Ive got the area back that had my layout in before and started construction of a new 6x4 layout with an operating well with an incline leading up to my 'end of the line' shunting plank.

all track is now pinned down and the droppers have been started, hopefully by the end of the day it will all be wired.

the incline

More pics will be put on when i get further!

Hammy
8)
Last edited by Hammy on Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:35 pm, edited 7 times in total.

wolvesdug

Re: Hammys DCC 6x4

Postby wolvesdug » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:17 am

Looking forward to this one
I always liked your 'more than just a trackmat' layout

dubbleojon

Postby dubbleojon » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:54 pm

That incline looks pretty steep? what length train can you get up there?
I fancied one on my 6by4 but didn't think I would be able to get a gentle enough gradient into such a small space.

Hammy

Postby Hammy » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:59 am

hi,

yeah the gradient is pretty optimistic. So far it doesn't actually go anywhere so I can't send full trains up it!

but as it stands I can get all my locos up from the small 'Brighton belle' up to my bachmann 66 (which is quite particular about where she goes!

Plus, just a minor thing, its actually a little bit larger than 6x4 and I think getting the second level on top will take me beyond the length of 6ft as well

Hammy

Postby 61653 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:14 pm

Can I ask what radius bends you have used on your loops?

Hammy

Postby Hammy » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:01 pm

They're 2nd and 3rd radius

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:11 pm

Hi Hammy

Glad to hear you are back in the realms of the active modeller again mate :twisted:

Nice to see you are going to indulge us with another mini-masterpiece :wink: However, just one word of advice if I may be so bold: it's about the incline. I'd suggest that you measure how much you think that you're going to need and at least add 50% the distance again- if not, 100!- and it should be alright, lol! I had to create an incline for my garden railway and found that hard enough even though I had plenty of space to work with!

If you like, drop e a PM sketch of the layout and I'll work out how much line you need :wink: It's worth getting right, especially since it always adds a great deal of depth to any layout :)

Cheers fella, I just know this will be a fun layout

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Postby 61653 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:14 pm

Hammy wrote:They're 2nd and 3rd radius

Can I ask what the diameter of you 3rd radius curve loop is (lengthways obviously!). I'm trying to plan a 6x4 layout and am wondering what the biggest loop I can get away with is.

Thanks

StevieDay

Postby StevieDay » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:31 pm

Infrontcat wrote:Hi Hammy

Glad to hear you are back in the realms of the active modeller again mate :twisted:

Nice to see you are going to indulge us with another mini-masterpiece :wink: However, just one word of advice if I may be so bold: it's about the incline. I'd suggest that you measure how much you think that you're going to need and at least add 50% the distance again- if not, 100!- and it should be alright, lol! I had to create an incline for my garden railway and found that hard enough even though I had plenty of space to work with!

If you like, drop e a PM sketch of the layout and I'll work out how much line you need :wink: It's worth getting right, especially since it always adds a great deal of depth to any layout :)

Cheers fella, I just know this will be a fun layout

Tim

Yep I agree with Tim on this. Its not just allowing for the distance that an incline has climb. But also the transition from each stage the lines goes from being flat into the incline & back to being flat again. These transitions should be as gently as possible. Too sharp & the track will deform (the rails will want to splay outwards) & your loco & stock will derail. I realised this a bit late in the day on my layout & when compensating I ended up with one incline being steeper than I wished for.
Regards,
Steve.
Regards,
Steve

My Layout;- Rayne St, Fictional N-Gauge Layout viewtopic.php?t=30856

Hammy

Postby Hammy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:16 pm

Hi fellas, thanks for the advice regarding the incline....
Im quite fortunate, that I'm not restricted to the 6x4 board when it comes to 'plonking' The 2nd tier on top, so my incline is a working progress!

At the moment im 4" above the tracks using 1/3 of the length of the baseboard (roughly 24") and I can get up and down with speed restrictions(!) Theclass 66 with my intermodal wagons and a class 33 with 2 clams and a brake.

Hammy

P.s excuse the poor grammer I'm on my phone!

Hammy

Postby Hammy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:27 pm

61653 wrote:
Hammy wrote:They're 2nd and 3rd radius

Can I ask what the diameter of you 3rd radius curve loop is (lengthways obviously!). I'm trying to plan a 6x4 layout and am wondering what the biggest loop I can get away with is.

Thanks

Not at the mo, can measure at a later date!
The out side loop is what comes when you buy a trainset.

Hammy

Postby Hammy » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:37 pm

just a short update, ive chipped one of my dc locos, and gave it a thorough clean. it now runs perfectly at slow speeds better than it ever has!

I've also added another level!

i need to finish the last few supports on the final appproch, when theyre done ill be sure to stick a short video on!

Hammy

Hammy

Re: Hammys DCC 6x4 another level

Postby Hammy » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:05 pm

Here we go then, get ready to be astonished by my videoing skills (dont give up your day job they all scream!)

Going up!!!

going down!!!

had a wee accident on the way down, the weight of the loaded limpets (not clam as i'd said previously) shoved the emptys causing a derailment. i now know to put the full wagon next to the loco.

lives and learns don't we :wink:

Hammy

Nathan20138

Postby Nathan20138 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:31 pm

Mr S.Spielberg eat your heart out!

Glad to see you are back mate. The 'End of the Line' project was great but sometimes you just want to sit back eh?

Still love the 'Crompton' in the Dutch livery. Wonder if i can get any wagons to match in 'N' for mine?

Any way, look forward to the next developments.

Is the shunting plank at the top of the incline then?

Nathan.
"Let all men who go to don armour tomorrow remember to go before they don armour tomorrow."

Brightside Lane TMD
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=33379

Hammy

Postby Hammy » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:57 pm

Thats the one thing i missed with the end of the line, not being able to sit back and watch!!

yeah the 'end of the line' is the 2nd level, so trains can run round the loops while i shunt!!

a couple of new additions to my layout arrived this week in the form of:

and also i bought a 2nd Vitrains 37 mainly so i can steal the chassis for the EWS one which took a tumble. the broken chassis and the new body will go on the back of a low loader as a small cameo scene when i get a bit further along.

also i've made a start on scratchbuilding a pleasure narrow boat for my planned canal scene. not a lot to see at the mo but here it is:

an obligatory night time shot:

ooooh! i forgot the video!!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”