Buxton 00 Gauge early 1990s

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
mow cop

Buxton 00 Gauge early 1990s

Postby mow cop » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:00 pm

I hope to do a small post to show folks the progress on my new layout after returning to model railways from a 17 year break.
Hopefully someone might be interested?

I now have the boards down and the track is here, hoping to start laying it out this week.

As per the title its going to be buxton station and TMD in the early 1990s hopefully to a close scale.
Last edited by mow cop on Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NSE DAZ

Re: Buxton 00 Gauge early 1990s

Postby NSE DAZ » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:50 pm

Hi mow cop,

Looks like a good solid start with the baseboards :D look forward to updates with this layout!!!

Good choice of era early 90's great selection of loco choice 8)

Keep the updates coming

Darren NSE DAZ
Unleashing the toothpaste livery!!!Thank you for travelling Network SouthEast

mow cop

Postby mow cop » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:14 pm

Rough layout of the track
Plans
From the station end.

The track is just placed down for sizing.
3 things have come to light~
I need more track, 25 yards is not enough!
I will need to scale down slightly as there is just not enough space.
I will need to have two very tight curves at the end to take the running lines around the shed to the fiddle yard.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:49 pm

You look to have a good sized area to work in, keep a look out for a pair of old, thick curtains to hang across those double doors and you should be ok even a cold winter nights. You're right about the tight curve, but try to get the start of the curve as close as you can to the rear wall. It might mean the run of your platforms being on the diagonal, but that often makes things look more like a railway and less like a train set :)
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

mow cop

Postby mow cop » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:57 pm

Thanks,
The curtains idea is great, the walls have 50mm Kingspan sheets and the roof 25mm I also have a small fan heater on the go!
I will try to "slant" the plan a little to reduce the curve, i have also ordered more track.

auricom

Postby auricom » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:33 pm

Awwwww why dont I have this space :( haha,

Random, but it would be good if you managed to get the round car park in there, could be quite a nice, unusual feature. Looking forward to watching this grow :)
Chris

Bookseller, philosopher and brutally forthright. If you don't like what I say, so what?

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:59 pm

Nice space you have there. I like the idea of Buxton station being modelled.
I am looking forward to your updates.
My layouts (in progress):
Image and Image

mow cop

Postby mow cop » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:11 pm

I started to lay the track today, only just pushing a few pins in, just incase I need to adjust it!

I cut holes for point motors and also put a load of wires through the base board from under various fishplates.

As per the sugestion I have "tilted" the plan a little and can get it almost to scale (no more than 1/2 engine length out anyway)

The additional track and a load of point motors arrived today so I should hopfully get all the track down this weekend.

b308

Postby b308 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:20 pm

I'll be watching this with interest, Buxton has some nice station buildings... But from a personal point of view its a little "late" in time, I can remember it well from the late 60s and early 70s...

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:27 pm

That exit curve is starting to look more "do-able" already. It's only when you try to lay one out that you realise how big a station is :!:
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

mow cop

Postby mow cop » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:54 pm

Busy today for an hour or two.

Had some fun with those pesky Peco track pins, resorted to predrilling the holes to get them going. I remember the old Hornby ones being shorter but a lot stronger?

I now need to finish of tacking the track down and then think abot the point motors.

Wiring for the DCC bus
Looking from the station end towards the depot and the end of the world!
Depot and sidings detail
Looking towards the station, note the famous station arch.

daryl43068

Postby daryl43068 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:04 pm

Looks a good start! Will be watching with interest!

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:46 pm

mow cop wrote:Had some fun with those pesky Peco track pins, resorted to predrilling the holes to get them going. I remember the old Hornby ones being shorter but a lot stronger?

See if you can find Gaugemaster pins - as long as Peco and as strong as Hornby (and better quality than both). Somewhere in the loft are a load of B&W negs taken at Buxton TMD which must be early 90s-ish, I'll see if I can find them if they'd be any use. They're loco pictures rather than the depot - 37 and a 47 IIRC.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

mow cop

Postby mow cop » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:02 pm

Hi,
Not got much done this week due to my shifts.
The track is all pinned down and I have started to weather it. is it cheating just painting the side I can see?
Painting the check rails on the points makes them look so much better than black plastic.
It gets very addictive and I kept thinking "one more point or section of rail" next thing the fire has almost gone out, the sheep havent been fed, and its very dark.

The guys at work got wind of my new interest and along came all the jibes and mick taking, then afterwards (5 days) a few of them let on to know a little too much about the hobby for people with no interest in it!

I hope to get the track all painted early this week and move on to the wiring, our children are starting to want to see moving trains.
The Brio set on the floor is not enough to keep there attention!

mow cop

Postby mow cop » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:47 am

All the track now fastened down and 1/2 of it painted, all but one point motors are fitted (miss ordered) and almost all wired up.
This weekend I am goint to try to do all the wiring, and take up the track for the depot area.
The depot at Buxton has the rails on supports as it was built for diesels, I am going to lower the base board for the interior of the shed and try to recreate this feature by soldering the rails onto supports.

I am off until Wednesday so hope to get things going and also visit Stafford show.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”