Penebsingston - scenic work continues

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Foo

Re: Penebsington (IMAGE HEAVY)

Postby Foo » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:50 pm

Bit of an update first because I was checking it would clear the fences here's a nice pic of 6010 king Charles I.

Now onto the department store. Decided to knuckle down with it today while the missus was at work and my sister was being taught to play gran turismo 5 by her fellah lol. Anyway, my mate suggested I should try to replicate the effect I got in the odeon with the department store. I stupidally agreed. Here's me cutting out the letters for m&s.

Then fitted around another mirror box with the translucent paper ready to be stuck ontop.

And in siteu on the building

And lit up.

And finally a shot of it sat next to the Odeon

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:34 pm

Very effective lighting. Well worth the cutting out and other fiddelyness :)

PD.

Postby PD. » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:49 pm

Yet another YOU ARE A GIT thread then? :D

Good effort on the lighting... I just fel inadequate again :D :D
Praha Hlavní Nádraží (Prague Main Station)

Foo

Postby Foo » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:52 pm

Hi thanks for the kind words. Not got anymore done to the main layout due to not having the high st printed yet and not being able to source any inkjet ohp film for the church stained glass window. So I decided to occupy myself by turning my pratice block into a tiny photo scene out of scrap materials I had lying around. Off cut of settrack, bit of polystyrene spare matchsticks added to the practice ones for fence just need some scatter to finish it off.
Also added my first attempt at a street lamp and a little scalescenes shed I bashed out. I think it looks ok so will probably be making myself some more lamps soon :)

Have got some better photos but they're on my camera and I'm not at home so had to upload the one I had on my iPhone to photobucket. Will upload more when I get home again

PD.

Postby PD. » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:13 pm

Looks to be the same freeby I downloaded - I am quite impressed with the ScaleScenes stuff

Here's my effort to see if I was capable of building one, I wasn't too careful about doing it but it turned out okay I think.

I've since paid for and downloaded the R005 Main Station as well... slightly more complex project that one though and I keep putting it off :(

Foo

Postby Foo » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:26 pm

Yeah same kit. Had to make my one slightly shallower to fit it on top the polystyrene. Station is a beast eh? Was the first one I did. Think I should have attempted something smaller first so might well rebuild it at some point lol.

PD.

Postby PD. » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:36 pm

I see it's peeling a little now I looked properly, they do recommend to spray it with some varnish as I recall - I didn't bother with the freeby, but since you obviously spend a bit of time on the station probably worth it to do it.

Looks fine though, just needs a little tidying up on the edges I think - I'd be happy if I can get mine as good as that, put it that way :)

Foo

Postby Foo » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:23 pm

As promised here are the more detailed pictures of my little diaorama.

Last night with track ballasted and polystyrene In place
0-4-0 with tankers posing infront of blank canvas...

Painted with shed dangling off the back

And finished with king Charles I And a DB5

Just the DB5

Class 37 at night
37 top shot

And finally nothing on the tracks at night

Again sorry for amount of images lol

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:10 pm

Hi Foo,

I love little diorama practice pieces - fun and the ideal place to try ideas.

It looks like you've used wire for you fencing ? It can be a matter of opinion, but I find fine fishing nylon best.
With fine opaque nylon it looks thinner than it actually is, it's also easy enough to tension up from the ends leaving the nylon free to stress relieve itself
moving slightly through the drilled holes. A 100 metre reel of line costs (I think) about £3 and will probably last a lifetime of modelling.

Having said that it is personal preference - Oh and don't try scale thickness line as it's so thin you can't even pick it up as you can't feel it under your finger !! Yes I know I tried !! I can find what Ib weight line I use should you fancy trying.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Foo

Postby Foo » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:38 pm

Yeah mine is 4lb fishing line. Lightest I had lying around, do some pier and beach fishing down here so normally use atleast 25lb which I found to be far far too thick as you'd expect, plus it was blue so looked even more out of place. Forgot to take my USB stick into work to use the laser printer to get my high st printed off so that'll have to wait until tomorrow, but that does leave me time tonight to make some more street lamps ready for the high st.

taytrain

Postby taytrain » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:43 pm

great work on those building's and lighting

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:58 pm

Very effective lighting on the M&S shop front and cinema. I like the method you used. Looks like you're getting the hang of the lighting now. Keep us posted :D

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:18 pm

Hi there

Felt compelled to add to the list of admirers re your M&S and ODEON buildings. Inspiring stuff that goes to show what can be done if you put your mind to it 8)

I also like the idea of the wee cameo. It serves two good purposes: i) A valuable exercise in practicing scenic techniques ii) a good excuse to get out the camera and show off some stock (And an Aston :P )

Cheers fella, well done

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Metallicadam

Postby Metallicadam » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:07 pm

loving the lighting and your Odeon and M&S!
My Warhammer Modelling/Gaming Blog - To tide me over till the money comes in and i can afford a layout!

PD.

Postby PD. » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:21 pm

They're good aren't they? I suspect in real life they are even better, can't remember the technical term for it, but the photos appear to be bleeding around the shop sign edges (possibly a bit of camera shake as he is so excited from his results :D ).

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”