Penebsingston - scenic work continues

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Foo

Penebsingston - scenic work continues

Postby Foo » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:26 am

Hi, this is my first post here, been a member for a bit now and have finally plucked up the courage to post lol :P. not that I'm unsure of how the forum works as its the same phpBB layout as I use for the Online Gaming Community I am a senior admin on :D.

Anyway back on topic, I'm kinda new to this whole scene, dabbled a bit when I was in my teens but then got distracted by girls etc. now I've got kids of my own my girlfriend treated them (me) to a train set last year, was a Hornby City Industrial set for about 50quid in Hamleys...

so i got back home to Cornwall and went to B&Q and got some loft flooring boards and some 2x2 and started making myself a table, was originally in the spare room but has now moved into the lounge as we needed the space in the spare room and my house mates dont use the lounge :D. i started with a basic oval but soon got bored so decided i needed a change, racked my brains for some ideas and came up with this...
sorry for poor plan but was best i could do in paint its in my head so i know what i want :D

so started building and i think i have caught the bug. as im working full time and have the missus its taking a while but im getting there slowly. i forgot to take pictures early on on the re-build but will try to from now on :D although i do have some kicking around from the first build if i can find them.

Before i start on the pictures i just need to say that there is no "era" that this is set in as i like the locos from all era's but it will be vaguely GWR/FGW based as thats where i live oh and sorry for the mess :P Mainly i have concentrated on buildings and sorting the track out on the board before i do any detailing. oh and it was about an hour ago i took these photos hence the darkness.

First is my main building on the layout, its the station terminus.
i wanted something big and grand on there and thought what better than a big terminus, complete with roof over the dual tracks which is still to be made lol. it is the ScalescenesR005 Station Building kit. not bad for £7.99, i made it out of cardboard, mainly because i had loads kicking around the house, but also because i wanted to install LED's into the building, and the corrugated card makes it easier to hide the wires, although i did use too thick card for the main station building so need some modifications to the base.

Here it is from the platform side with HST's from ebay where the platforms will be
along with homemade illuminated buffer stop.

Some Shots in the dark with LED's lit.
Platform side with buffers
Front Left
close up of buffer and interior of station

have also made the Scalescenes Bridge as the entry to my fiddle yard...
as seen from the station

and tonight started work on the smaller station building, left the roof underside to fully bond overnight before adding LED's into it.

regards locos, i currently only have a HST from Ebay whos lights didnt work when i got it so played around with LED's and am happy enough with the result until i can afford the directional red/white ones i have seen, the small tank which came with the Set, a diesel a mate gave me for fixing his laptop and a King Class steamer i had when i was a kid. and stock i have a breakdown crane and yellow coaches to match and 2 badly painted green coaches from when i was a kid, and a selection of goods wagons from the industrial set and the set my friend gave me, will be buying more ASAP, have my eye on some MK3's to go with the current HST, a new FGW "Dynamic Lines" HST, and some others, but money is tight so alas they will have to wait.

I will stop nattering now as you are probably bored, that's if your'e even still reading, please don't be too hard lol. some of the layouts on here are truly epic, and i know mine is not going to come anywhere close

also if anyone can think of a name for it lemmie know :D
Last edited by Foo on Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:03 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Stewart Gethin

Re: My Layout, Currently Un-named (IMAGE HEAVY)

Postby Stewart Gethin » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:07 pm

Hey there, your station building looks great with the lights in it :P looks amazing infact.

Wouldn't you be able to make the fiddle yard into a continous run, by putting curved points at the dead ends and getting rid of the current loop bit by there? Just a little suggestion, I'll Try draw "my" plan up for you and post it here.

Keep up the good work.

Stew.

Here is that plan, Not the best ever, as I was quite jerky. ;)

Please take a look at both my layouts:
My layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28240
My 5" Gauge layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=29058

Foo

Postby Foo » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:31 pm

Thanks mate, bit of an update here, Firstly is my son, on sunday, controlling the set...
trying to change the points.
moving the HST into the station (currently without platform)
HST in station

Then work from yesterday/today has seen a platform materialize.
goods train at the short platform
HST where the second, 5car platform will be.
over-head shot of platforms

Foo

Postby Foo » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:49 pm

have done quite a bit of work since last update, Have done my first attempt at ballasting
cardboard is going to be a level crossing,
have also now finished the station and platform, bar the overhead canopy.

and have made another couple of purchases on Scalescenes, aswell as the Free inspection pits....
waiting to go into the board,
home made lighting solution for the pits as i thought i'd have a go before buying the "official" kit
and lit up
hole ready for the pit to go in.

also bought the engine shed to go on top...
wanted to find a way to light it, but make the lighting look like its from hanging tube lights rather than bare bulbs...
so i made two reflectors to spread the light output from two led's in each "tube" out of mirror faced plastic (same material i used for the light box on the pits)
room lights on
and off
inside
and outside...

Now just got to choose what next to buy/build, have got the Scalescenes Church to build but nowhere to put it until i build the "hill" above the fiddle yard. am also hoping to get the rest of the track i need to finish the yard too lol.

hope you like what ive done so far, any constructive criticism would be appreciated.

siquelme

Postby siquelme » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:06 pm

Lots great. Its such a different approach to the the other buildings/layouts on the forums. I am about to purchase the same inspections for my layout and they look great on your layout. Nice looking King class btw ;)
Great Western Modeller for my sins
My Blog http://brookescastle.blogspot.com/

Foo

Postby Foo » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:24 am

siquelme wrote:Lots great. Its such a different approach to the the other buildings/layouts on the forums. I am about to purchase the same inspections for my layout and they look great on your layout. Nice looking King class btw ;)

How so different? and yeah, the king is a pain tbh, its about 10-15 years old and tender driven, and the "drive" wheels on the loco sometimes stick when going round corners which means i have to stick it in reverse for a minute to unstick them :(

Anyway, not much work been done recently, tidied the whole layout up today tho, including the maze of wires under the board. My Lovley missus bought me a belated Crimbo pressie of the Hornby Select DCC controller from Forum Member wolvesdug but we could only afford one decoder for now so cant fully utilize it yet :P

fitted the decoder into the Bachmann Class 158 DMU but while trying to wire the lights for the dummy car in without the trailing wire derailing the train i accidentally burnt out the lighting control part of the chip so at the end of the month when i can get 4 more decoders i will be whipping it out of the DMU and putting it in my 0-4-0 which isnt going to have lights... but enough chat, here are some pictures of the tidy layout.

overhead view
station
shed by night, with "concrete" outside, made by mixing tile grout with a dab of black paint.
DMU and HST in station
and finally an external lamp i made for the porch of the station.

still got alot of track to buy but cant afford to buy the pointwork i need at the minute, as the cheapest i can find them is around the £10 mark and i need about 4 lefthand points to build my yard, oh well, it will come in time :D so for now im going to keep cracking on with the scenic part of the layout and see what i can come up with, am currently toying with the idea of having a small "branch" running on a raised area above the yard but am unsure how to go about this as of now, im sure itll come to me in a moment of clarity, probably while at work and i will forget by the time i get home lol.

anyway, hope you like it :D

wolvesdug

Postby wolvesdug » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:45 pm

Looking good foo!!

Foo

Re: Penebsington (IMAGE HEAVY)

Postby Foo » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:25 am

not got money to do any trackwork atm so have been making some scalescenes stuff, have got the bridge done but forgot to take pictures, and today made the cinema, and half did the department store...
wanted to do a bit of kit bashing and make the ODEON part light up, so built a box section which i stuck the ODEON text to, and cut out the letters, keeping the inners of the ODO's then printed the ODEON again and stuck teh inners of ODO in their places... result looks ok imo....
room lights on
room lights off

think i need to either bash up some lighting to go above the "whats on" board or back light it, but that can wait till tomorrow!

oh yeah and have decided on a name, Penebsington, just cos :P

Stewart Gethin

Postby Stewart Gethin » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:17 am

Wow, just wow. That cinema looks amazing 8). Both sets of lights look good on it, the entrance ones just set that sort of atmosphere ;) Can't wait to see what the future holds regarding lighting etc. :)

Stew.
Please take a look at both my layouts:
My layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28240
My 5" Gauge layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=29058

Foo

Postby Foo » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:06 pm

Ta stew, one of my favourite parts of this hobby is making the buildings and lighting them, the playing trains part is just a bonus lol. Got the high street to print off when I go back to work next week as it's 35 pages lol. But payday soon so will be getting some more track and points and should have the yard finished and covered in the next couple of weeks hopefully.

hiffano

Postby hiffano » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:43 pm

I'm really impressed with what yuo are achieving on an apparant shoestring budget, and it's great to see all the home-made lighting too. Especially like the cinema.
Whoo, new job... big pay cut... but new job! yay

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:34 pm

Looking good Foo.
I like what you have done with your Scalescenes downloads, especially the inspection pit & cinema lighting. I need to get started on my pit and you have given me other options for the lighting now.
Keep us updated with your progress.

Dave
My layouts (in progress):
Image and Image

Terrier

Postby Terrier » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:52 pm

Allo chap, just having a nosey after a great bit of pythonesque fun on another thread lol. Nice layout, impressed with the lighting fixtures, especially the odean cinema and the inspection pits. cracking stuff. keep updates coming. :D

trainsandco

Postby trainsandco » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:26 pm

wow....someones raided scalescenes! and I'm (and I bet you are) that you did as what you've done is - to put it bluntly - amazing! and I only wish that I could do something that amazing!

Keep up the good work chap 8)

Ben
Henley on Thames in the 30's

Southerner in a weird place called "Yorkshire"...

81D & 55A

Foo

Postby Foo » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:40 pm

Had a bit of a play yesterday with the department store but got teasy with it when the lights didn't work so gave up until today. Here's progress so far

Couldn't be bothered to do anymore to it so started something else. Thought I'd dig out one if the old Tudor houses from my old layout, take out the gow bulb and swap it out for some LEDs
With class 158 alongside
And I also decided to dehead a box of vestas and make a start on fencing.

Not too shabby imo oh and sorry for pic quality it's from my phone (then again might be photobucket app making them look crap)

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”