Leicester Fosse (Central) Sishades new epic

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
sishades

Re: Leicester Fosse (Central) Sishades new epic

Postby sishades » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:56 pm

Its that time of the year again when an update is due. Since my last post I have spent the time trying to understand how point motors work using both Dc and Dcc at the same time. My plan was to use a motor that could switch polarity but be powered by a good old fashioned control panel. I dismissed the notion of controlling the points with a DT400 Digitrax hand controller simply due to the length of time required to enter a codes in order to select new routes whilst a train is in motion, besides having a control panel with lots of point switches and track diagrams has always appealed to me. Thus the time required to select routes would be a lot less than the DCC method. I purchased 24 Cobalt motors from DCC Supplies (who else?) and started to read the extensive documentation that is supplied on their web site. Now I have to be honest here and admit that electronics, wiring, wiring diagrams and other electrickery sort of stuff has always been and will be a complete mystery to me. It might as well be written in Martian. So I decided to rustle up a test track and experiment first before letting myself loose on the layout up in the loft. Using an old plank of wood, a couple of Hornby straights and a Peco electrofrog point I came up with “Wayfearers End”. And here it is

A DCC bus was installed covering the length of the plank and using connecting blocks all the track pieces were wired up. I also purchased an installation template which enabled me to drill the holes required to hold the motor from above the plank.

Each Cobalt has 8 crimp connectors (you can solder wires as 16 points are provided), plus 2 internal switches. This was the major selling point for me as a wire from the points frog can be connected directly to the motor and be switched accordingly. But as the motors operate at 9volts I had to purchase a small switchable power supply. One duly arrived and was then sent back because it was faulty. The replacement appears to work a treat. The wiring sequence for a Cobalt is as follows,

Pins 1 and 8 are connected to the 9v power supply. A DCC supply is connected to pins 2 and 3. The fouth pin is the internal switch output and is connected to the frog. A signal could also be operated off the same motor by attaching a power supply to pins 6 and 7 and connecting a wire from pin 5 to the signal. It sounds complicated but is much easier than using Seep or Peco motors. The other plus side is that if a shot occurs then the wires in pins 2 and 3 are the wrong way round and can be swapped in a matter of seconds. The Cobalts can be operated using a DCC source but they require accessory decoders but at a tenner each, I would need to spend around 300 pounds for the entire layout. Here is one connected up

To operate the point on this tester I bought 35 DPDT switches. My advice here is to try and buy these things with the cross over built in as I found it tricky getting wires connected in such a small space. However prices range from 35p to over a pound for each one, so if you see some cheap ones snap them up, I was quoted 8 week delivery times in some cases, but since I had recently taken up mugging old people as a pastime, money was no object so a pack of switches soon found its way into my sweaty and mostly hairy palms.

Finally everything was connected up and a loco was sent from one end of the track to another. Well it would have done had a short not sounded upon crossing the frog. The solution was to swap the wires over in pins 2 and 3. Everything worked fine. I now possessed the wisdom required to tackle the main layout.

I chose the name Wayfarers End after the painting "Winter Wayfarers" by Barry Freeman. These are available as jigsaws and are well worth getting as they are rich in colour and full of detail.
Last edited by sishades on Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sishades

Postby sishades » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:23 pm

One problem that I have had in the last couple of months was with a company called SPModels based at Snetterton in Norfolk. An absolutely enormous model shop it has to be seen to be believed. I purchased an airbrush from them which developed a fault. Despite the law being in my favour it seems that this shop had issued a "Unilateral Declaration of Independence", became a republic and so British law and common sense does not apply here and they flatly refused to help me at all. Even going as far to say that their expert (modeller to the Queen no less) could find nothing wrong with it at all. I do trust that Her majesties new N guage steel girder bridge will not fall down. However after some phone calls I tracked down the chap who made the equipment and he repaired it for me free of charge. So, Yah Boo Sucks to SPModels and a massive "Huzzah" to Chris at Expo Tools and Drills in Pembrokeshire.

I was now able to finish off weathering my track and finally get down to laying something other than the hottie next door. I started with the 2 lines at the back of the layout as they traverse the length of the baseboards on a viaduct. Using the techniques that I learnt with my test track, this went quite well.

This time I needed to operate five motors and so I needed to build a control panel. This is only temporary as I will build a nice shiny aluminium one once all of the track has been laid. Here is the eye candy

Underneath the wiring is connected to choc blocks so that it can be move around

Using a few miles of wire, the motors were connected to the panel and lo and bold it all worked first time; set face to grin, tv to **** channel and clench fist and shouts "YES pinky".

This week I have been mostly working on the front part of the layout which includes a double slip, a three way (ooer) point and some other bits. This has included 2 carriage sidings to accommodate up to 8 coaches.

And finally a rather arty photo of the loco that I am using to test the track, a chunky but hunky looking class 08 with go faster yellow stripes,

In the next few days I will connect the panel up to the front set of motors and test them out. However I need to get my BMW Z3 sorted as it has developed an air leak in one of the pipes.

I almost forgot I installed a DVD player, surround sound system and flat tv at one end of my railway room so I can do my "right arm exercises" whilst playing trains.
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again

Durseytu
Location: Trying to make progress on the layout... pigs will fly (hohoho)

Postby Durseytu » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:21 pm

Hi Sishades,

Good to see an update on this one. I have to say if I ever went DCC, I think I would still want to stick to the old fashioned panel system for controlling the points. That wiring just looks confusing! :cry:

And that 08 certainly looks rather hunky indeed! :P

Cheers,

Stuart
ImageImage

sishades

Postby sishades » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:16 am

Actually the wiring may look complicated but it is very simple indeed, but that is because I have used thick wiring. The extra wiring is purely for using a control panel. With DCC the power for the motors would come straight from the power bus.
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again

Durseytu
Location: Trying to make progress on the layout... pigs will fly (hohoho)

Postby Durseytu » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:51 pm

I have to be honest, when I look at the wiring underneath The Bridge I think most people would be a quivering mess trying to understand it, whereas to me I know my own wiring and it's actually rather straightforward!

Cheers,

Stuart
ImageImage

sishades

Postby sishades » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:07 pm

Wow, three years since my last update! A lot has happened since then, three jobs, promotion to the premiership, 1000s of hours of new **** watched and enjoyed (lesbea.com is just so yummy), promotion to the premiership, BMW Z3 gone and replaced with something that does not require a fuel tank the size of Essex to travel three miles, promotion to the premiership, a teeth grinding habbit that is causing some concern, lots of new locos (more later), promotion to the premiership, no extra children, a visit to Model rail Scotland and finally have I mentioned promotion to the premiership? Pauses for breath.

Before I start, I would like to relay a gentle and soothing message to the boys in blue concerning last nights magnificent 4-1 capitulation at the Kp....

Image.

Anyhow I had to come up with something fast to calm down. I grabbed my Sony tablet, some slippery stuff from the fridge, a pair of tweezers, a large carrot and my 5 volume history on "Removing Carrots from unusual places 1891-1934 And their Social Applications" and made my way to a dark and some would say, a seedy part of my home. Normally in these circumstances a pair of surgical gloves would be used but, hey my mood demanded some raw and rough excitement, very much in the same way that last nights surrender to Brighton wasnt. But fate was to have its wicked way in that my internet connection out here in in the inbred sticks is powered by a small water mill, resulting in the now familiar microsoft symbol moving in a circular manner as my chosen documentary "Lesbian Threesome Anal Strapon Gangbang Vol 2 Asian Edition" was going to be a considerable time in loading. What to do in the meantime. So I quickly grabbed my camera and made my way upstairs to the loft and did some quick modelling. A row of houses, 2 warehouses, 2 stations, various bridges, a bit of ballasting and hey presto ten minutes later a layout came to life. Therefore for your delectation and my cheap thrill here is the resultant audio visual treat that is Leicester Fosse (Central). Some pictures will follow later but there are 85 of them and they need sorting. A bit like City's defence really.

http://s168.photobucket.com/user/sishades/media/LeicesterFosse.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0

sishades

Postby sishades » Fri May 09, 2014 7:29 pm

Im sitting here trying to stay awake whilst waiting for the footie to start so to kill some time I thought that I would show you some pictures of my creation. One important lesson that I learnt from my previous layout was that building a main station on a wobbly board over a loft hatch was not the brightest thing to do. So this time I decided to construct some bridges that could be lifted in and out of place. For this purpose strength and durability was an important factor which reduces the realism scale in order to compensate. So without further ado here they are.

The hatch is covered by a piece of plywood painted with a mucus green to represent water and is slid into place once I have climbed up into the loft. The rear main line bridge can then be put into place. For each bridge alignment dowels were sunk into the baseboards.

The middle section is next

And finally the slow line

Although not prototypical they must be sturdy to cover the hatch. Some more bridge eye candy

Looking through back towards the houses

From above

On each end of each bridge small lengths of brass wire have been soldered to copper plates. These then make contact with corresponding plates on the baseboards. Doing both ends results in a good electrical connection.

The wooden slats on each bridge are coffee stirers. They were all glued onto thin card, painted with a dark grey acrylic. This dries very quickly and then covered with enamel rust brown. This was then wiped off with a cloth with thinners. I think that the effect created works.

Thats all for now, Miley Cyrus is at the door with a take away. She is keen to watch the QPR game so needs must.

Coming up.......

A diesel depot....

An engine shed.....

A freight yard ........

A warehouse ......

and some more stuff, when I can be arsed.

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Fri May 09, 2014 9:30 pm

Brilliant. A great looking layout, some magnificent gutter humour to lighten the tone of the thread and love those bridges. The drink stirrer slats look superb. I have acquired hundreds of these little blighters for similar projects (they just kept falling into the wife's handbag :o ). Your results give me inspiration for my own creations. Keep up the great work.

pointstaken

Postby pointstaken » Sat May 10, 2014 9:45 am

Nice to see this layout back on the forum. Agreed that the bridge structures (like the whole layout) do look very good, and the idea of soldering both ends sounds good.
Keep it up (as you know said to you know who).

Dennis(
I know nothing, but much I believe

0121modeller
Location: Erdington, Birmingham,.... but can also be found at various railway bridges !

Postby 0121modeller » Mon May 12, 2014 12:58 pm

I'm very impressed with those bridges :D
I can see the lower sections you've used Wills SS57 plate girders, are the upper assembly of arch girders from a kitbash or scratchbuilt ?
Either way, looks great.
Scratchbuilding 4mm scale JXA scrapwagons ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37620
Scratchbuilt & kit built grappler claw cranes ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36342

steve70

Postby steve70 » Tue May 13, 2014 7:46 pm

Looking great!
One question about these Colbalt point motors and I'm assuming it applies to the Tortoise brand as well. Do you still need the sprung loaded type of switches that you need for the standard solenoid point motors, or can you use 'normal' switches that stay pointed in the direction of travel?. (Hope that makes sense)
I haven't got very far with my planned loft layout yet (been waiting for our new roof to be completed) so have been using the time to gather as much info as needed and I think I want these point motors.
Congrats on finally getting that promotion BTW.

Steve (Watford fan ;))

sishades

Postby sishades » Tue May 13, 2014 10:19 pm

Hi Steve (Watford fan :lol: :lol: ). I have used the toggle switches that stay put in the direction of travel. My next posting will be with regards to my control panel and the thousand miles of wiring that accompanies it.

But on a more serious note, Steve I cannot let this opportunity pass,knowing that you being a Watford fan ( :lol: :lol: ) is here on the forum and just for you I have selected the finest M and S photo of City lifting the Championship trophy. Ample compensation for last years heartbreak against said Watford ( :lol: ).*

and

and

and

Plus Troy Deeney wants to express his great happiness at hearing LCFC winning the league

And finally some sound advice

* although the use of two emoticons to describe Watford FC is not obligatory it can help to overcome short term Troy Deeney induced stress.

steve70

Postby steve70 » Thu May 15, 2014 10:10 pm

sishades wrote:Hi Steve (Watford fan :lol: :lol: ). I have used the toggle switches that stay put in the direction of travel.

Thanks. :)

Do not scratch your eyes!

sishades

Postby sishades » Fri May 16, 2014 5:56 pm

Hi Steve

Thanks very much for the above linky but Im sure that was not the most recent match played between our two great sides. Im sure there must be a video of it somewhere.Ill have a quick look ..... :D

Oh yes ....here it is..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRjJRV60cJY

sishades

Postby sishades » Mon May 26, 2014 5:13 pm

I am currently watching the League 2 playoff final and as its half time I though that I would fill in the time with a few more pics. Here is my control panel. It is made of plywood, 40 toggle switches including a toggle for a programmable / dcc siding, 400 miles of wiring, 2 tonnes of choc block connectors, and some nice green cardboard surround.

There are two halves, one for the south and one for the north end of the layout. The two images are of Leicester Central taken from the air somtime in the 1930's and 61665 B17 Leicester City. Also for a bit of colour some railway posters were shrunk and placed on the outer edges.

The second half is about to start so more will follow later. I believe that I have now ironed out all the problems with the panel as I was getting a couple of shorts. The amount of wiring used was phenomenal. The panel wires are connected via rail connectors to the point motor wires.

Addendum...the inner arched railway bridge has bowed badly and the rails are 2-3 mm higher than those on the baseboard, thus I have had to reconstruct a new one. This should be finished by the end of the day..

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”