Leicester Fosse (Central) Sishades new epic

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
sishades

Re: Leicester Fosse (Central) Sishades new epic

Postby sishades » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:44 pm

Ironically my wife agrees with you. I looked at a wider barge model which is available from Langley Models but at over 100 pounds it could not be justified.
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again

manna

Postby manna » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:30 pm

G'day Gents

A guy with your talents, shouldn't have a problem scratchbuilding a ' Barge'.

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

sishades

Postby sishades » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:17 pm

An update of sorts. I have populated the station areas with some people, namely the Bachmann products which are rather good. But the main reason that I am here , is that for the first time in my life I experienced what can only be described as Train ****. Oh the joy and shuddering that ensued. It almost brought tears to my eyes and a special fast delivery of extra strong toilet tissue from Amazon. The reason being is that I have just installed two zimo sound decoders and double reflex speakers into my prized and worshipped Blue Pullman. This involved soldering speaker wires onto the PCB in each unit, a task that quite frankly scared the heebie jeebies out of me. After a week of procrastination I purchased a soldering iron with a tiny tip (unlike my tip on my honeymoon) to do the job, anticipating everything that could go wrong. After all the BP was not cheap and combined with the sound stuff, its value exceeds 500 pounds. Well I need not have worried because the installation with the help of a tiny tip went faultlessly. Joking aside the sound chips elevate what is already the God Of Model Railways onto an all new level. Words such as stunning and awesome (everything is..) do not do this model justice. It just takes your breath away , it is that good. Digitrains sound files are installed on each chip, and are also synced such that the lead car starts up first and then a few seconds later the other bursts into life. After work tomorrow I will try (or not because Im a lazy sod) to get a video uploaded to the forum.

I have also in the last few months installed zimo sound chips into my Duchess, 08 shunter, and 108 DMU. The shunter is also fitted with a large super capacitor for obvious reasons. This was quite a job to get everything in as it involved removing that cab and putting the capacitor inside. The capacitor is so strong that it will work for up to 30 seconds without power.

I have also completed installing DCCConcepts DCC decoders underneath my baseboard so that all of my analogue cobalts can be accessed via my hand controller. The large control panel that I kept bashing my head on has been dismantled along with 8 miles of wiring. Controlling the layout is now possible via a wireless handset (all digitrax using a receiver) and my laptop running JMRI with a digitrax PR4 USB interface module. As a freebie the JMRI software is quite intense and involves a considerable learning curve. My tablets and phones can access the web server within JMRI and my layout can be accessed with these items. JMRI also includes software that enables the user to create a virtual control panel so that the points can be changed merely by tapping on the relevant point icon, again on a tablet or phone.

Other software I have "acquired" is the full version of Train Controller Gold. This appears to be slicker than JMRI but is after all a commercial product, although tech support is rather lacking.

Finally I have improved the lighting underneath the main station canopy. I originally used copper tape to connect all of the LEDs but has proved not to be as robust as I had hoped. I removed all of the tape and glued some rails to the underside and soldered the LEDs directly to these rails. The footbridge has also been replaced as the original had suffered some damage but also because my skills have improved such that a new one would be better constructed. Also to improve visiblity whilst laying on my back fixing things underneath the layout, some very cheap christmas tree lights were wrapped around the wiring . I can now switch off the loft light and not run the risk of tripping over some misplaced cocaine bricks, falling down the loft hatch and having to explain to a law enforcement office (my wife) why I am covered in a white powdery substance.

On the downside one of my Cobalts internal switches has stopped working and another has a piece of soldered wire stuck inside one of the power connectors. I might just replace them with a couple of cobalts off my Whitemans Wharf layout.

Again apologies for the lack of visual stimulance but I am now going to engage Smug Mode, sit in my comfy chair and watch Robin Hood (yes the new shitty one) and contemplate how much I love this hobby.
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again

sishades

Postby sishades » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:16 pm

I finally got round to making a video of the Blue Pullman...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpdE69-78VQ&t=117s

manna

Postby manna » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:44 pm

G'Day Gents

I have heard, that Bachmann is to release another version of the Blue Pullman in reversed blue/grey, 800/900BP later this year, along with the long promised V2, we'll see.

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

DonB

Postby DonB » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:26 pm

The Blue Pullman is a pretty awesome model in its own right, but with sound, it's something else...
"Train ****" indeed!
Thanks for the video, sishades.
Don

My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?t=14899

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”