Leicester Fosse (Central) Sishades new epic

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
sishades

Leicester Fosse (Central) Sishades new epic

Postby sishades » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:24 pm

New year....new layout. After Fosse Park was demolished to make way for a hyper space bypass the good citizens of Blue Army Ville have decided to construct a new railway system. In response, the "Creator" (me) purchased lots of good quality wood from B and Q and spent a few days building up new baseboards and tables, only this time I actually bothered to use a spirit level...ahem. The great thing about using B and Q is that they will cut up wood to any size that you require, thus my tables are nicely aligned and flat. With this layout I have decided that it is not a good idea to try and build a station over a loft hatch.

Here are some pictures....

I then decided that my camera was **** and thus purchased a new HD one.......a Panasionic Lumix LX5......hmmmmmmm LX5

here are the finished tables ....look.. I have even painted them for that professional finish..looking south

looking north

I am very pleased with the work done so far as it far exceeds the quality (or lack of) of the previous set of tables which were quite shoddy. Since then I have purchased loads of track and built the viaducts that go along the back stretch. To help with the track weathering I purchased an airbrush, an AB620 I think and have almost finished. For this purpose I used Acrylic paint Fat Earth Brown. Humbrol 113 was too orange for my liking.

Here is a sort of a track plan using Anyrail wot I purchased before Christmas

There have been a few modifications in moi ead. It is on two levels, the outer ring being the upper level. Im sure that once thr track has been laid down it will look completely different.
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again

iankemp

Re: Leicester Fosse (Central) Sishades new epic

Postby iankemp » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:33 pm

Looking good so far! Great idea not to build a station over the loft hatch! With all that space you may get a good usage and some decent length trains going round! with the track plan you have produced it looks very simular to Leicester Great Central Station. Will be watching this like the last one!!

Happy new year to ya matey!!

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:23 pm

Nice bit of carpentry. Looks like this one could run :D
Grabs hat and dives for exit.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

0121modeller
Location: Erdington, Birmingham,.... but can also be found at various railway bridges !

Postby 0121modeller » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:01 pm

Looks to be a good start, & I see you've a fairly decent size loft too, a workable layout area of 20ft x 7ft I would Imagine ? I wish I still had that kind of space for a layout.
I look forward to you building the high level lines regarding viaducts & bridges etc.

Dave.
Scratchbuilding 4mm scale JXA scrapwagons ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37620
Scratchbuilt & kit built grappler claw cranes ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36342

sishades

Postby sishades » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:24 am

It works out at about 25 feet by 6 feet. The loft hatch is still there but the the gap will be bridged by ...bridges rather than a large lump of MDF stuck to the roof beam with brass hinges. The bridges will be lifted out. I have also left a gap between the tables and the beam so I can get my hand up around the back...oo err missus.
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again

ChrisWV10

Postby ChrisWV10 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:48 am

Like the track plan. But.... is it me or are some of your legs a bit skew wiff? :?

Looking forward to seeing more progress

C. :)

dagenham

Postby dagenham » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:40 pm

hi ya
happy new year to you and your family
i must say just come across your thread and i must say that you have a very nice space there to do a layout there
what kind of era and area are you going to model or is it just a ficticous idea???
but your plan looks like a good one
peter

sishades

Postby sishades » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:37 pm

The table leg had not been fitted yet.

Polyrhythms

Postby Polyrhythms » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:31 pm

Looks sturdy to the point of bombproof. You should bolt a beer pump to the edge somewhere, nothing like a good pint of ale when when modelling :)

Durseytu
Location: Trying to make progress on the layout... pigs will fly (hohoho)

Postby Durseytu » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:21 pm

Polyrhythms wrote:Looks sturdy to the point of bombproof. You should bolt a beer pump to the edge somewhere, nothing like a good pint of ale when when modelling :)

Now that's a cracking idea! I've been thinking of building a beer glass holder on my layout...

I have to say this looks like a rather smart baseboard you have there. I'm curious as to where the loft hatch come out into this space; does it still come out underneath the baseboard somewhere? In any case I’m looking forward to further updates.

Cheers,

Stuart.
ImageImage

sishades

Postby sishades » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:48 am

No beer barrel as I do not drink, but a cinema system may go in. The loft hatch is still there, but this time I will be building some bridges that lift out rather than using hinges. They will be aligned using alignment dowels.

0121modeller
Location: Erdington, Birmingham,.... but can also be found at various railway bridges !

Postby 0121modeller » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:50 pm

sishades wrote:a cinema system may go in

That sound a nice idea :D , the clock on the wall is very useful too, as does'nt time fly by ?

Those baseboard frames look nice & strong, are they 4"x2" ?
If framework is 4x2", then the height in particular could be a useful advantage as for some "low level" construction & scenery such as a canal, river or roadway thats usually the lowest feature, Why model everthing on main topside boards when you can also build down ? , is my point.

A low level area up to 2 inches below the main baseboard level could be chisle'd out (frame should still be strong if knotts are avoided) & jigawn out (baseboard) , then fit additional cross braces either side to compensate support to main baseboard & frame, & a low level sub-base using 9mm plywood sheet could be fitted & modelled upon to reqirements, I would consider this option at this early stage of planning & building.

Dave.
Scratchbuilding 4mm scale JXA scrapwagons ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37620
Scratchbuilt & kit built grappler claw cranes ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36342

dagenham

Postby dagenham » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:03 pm

hi ya
a good sterio system would be a good idea for up in the loft
and computer system would be good for controlling the trains
peter

GunnerBill

Postby GunnerBill » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:55 pm

" After Fosse Park was demolished to make way for a hyper space bypass" - lol best thing for it!

It looks like it's going to be a great new layout.

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:34 pm

I'm really looking forward to seeing this one develop. Apart from anything else, I believe you've saved most if not all of the wonderful buildings from your last effort, so progress this time may seem remarkably quick to us mere plebs...!

Will be watching avidly, as usual.
Gavin

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”