New Layout Hornby Track Plan MODIFIED With Thomas & Friends

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Dwarfboysim

Re: New Layout Hornby Track Plan MODIFIED With Thomas & Friends

Postby Dwarfboysim » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:45 am

HI all,
Well I have started to Ballast the bridge area and I must say I am pretty happy with the results so far. See the pictures below:

Ballasting 1.jpg
Ballasting 1.jpg (51.69 KiB) Viewed 4347 times

Ballasting 2.jpg
Ballasting 2.jpg (64.76 KiB) Viewed 4347 times

Patience and preperation is the key. Going to take a while but the end result will be worth it.

Dwarfboysim
Cinders And Ashes I'm Stuck, And He Was!!
My Blog
YouTube Channel
Model Rail Facebook Page

HARRYMALLARD

Postby HARRYMALLARD » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:19 pm

Wow great layout
My layouts:

Clicky here --> Image
Gasworks Lane micro layout

Dwarfboysim

Postby Dwarfboysim » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:55 am

Hi everyone,
Well it feels like ages since I have posted an update on my progress. As you would have seen in the pictures the bridge area is now ballasted. I have made a start ballasting over in the far corner near the goods shed. Got a week off work coming up so will be able to focus on getting more of the ballasting complete.

I have also invested in a Swann Wireless Safety Monitor Camera which I am currently mounting in a piece of rolling stock along with a DIY battery pack. Hopefully can get some footage recorded from the 1st person perspective and online in the near future.

Got a great suprise the other day in the mail. My very generous parents ordered me the following;

- Hornby Elite Controller
- Hornby Railmaster Software
- Thomas and Friends Raspberry Syrup Tanker

I also found in the mail on the same day a parcel from my parents in law with the following:

- Skaledale Platform Footbridge
- Skaledale Doublesided Platform Straights
- Hornby Junction Home Signal

And a week or so earlier I got in the post from the inlaws:

- Hornby Book of Scenic Railway Modelling
- Hornby Book of Model Railways

As you can imagine it's been like Christmas in August/September for me :) I have the Elite all hooked up and learning how to use it. I have even joined the Select to it as a Walkabout Unit. I am just trying to lay my hands on a cheap secondhand laptop to drive the Railmaster Software.

Well thats about it for this update. Thanks for reading/following.

Dwarfboysim
My Blog
YouTube Channel
Model Rail Facebook Page

Metallicadam

Postby Metallicadam » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:10 pm

I bought those two Hornby books from the NRM during summer. I think they're a very good introduction to the hobby but was disappointed to see a lot of duplicated material (literally word for word) from the Hornby Track plan!
My Warhammer Modelling/Gaming Blog - To tide me over till the money comes in and i can afford a layout!

PD.

Postby PD. » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:04 pm

Dwarfboysim wrote:HI all,
Well I have started to Ballast the bridge area and I must say I am pretty happy with the results so far.

I would be too. It's really starting to come together now Image
Praha Hlavní Nádraží (Prague Main Station)

Dwarfboysim

Postby Dwarfboysim » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:16 am

Hi all,
Not a lot to report. Spent most of the arvo painting the area's alongside the track ready for ballasting. Grey paint starting to spring up everywhere. Haven't had a lot of time to spend on the layout recently.

Dwarfboysim
My Blog
YouTube Channel
Model Rail Facebook Page

Dwarfboysim

Postby Dwarfboysim » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:24 am

Hi all,
Well it's official myself and the layout have been moved out to the Garage. :(

With good reason though. My wife and I are expecting a new arrival to our family in June 2012. :) :) Looks like i may have to start planning a train layout for the new arrival ;) ;)

My darling wifey has agreed to me having half the gargage for my layout. So between 4 of us we have managed to move the table from the family room out into the Garage with not damage to anything :) Also I have the Elite and Select now joined together and the Elite linked to a computer running the Hornby Railmaster Software. The software is taking some getting used to. Learning how to setup the points etc took some fiddling to get right.

Loads to do on the layout and have Christmas Leave coming up so a good few weeks to get back into the swing of it and make some serious progress on my layout. Paint, Paint, Paint, Ballast, Ballast, Ballast, Glue, Glue, Glue.

Waiting to see what Hornby might be releasing for the 2012 range for Thomas and Friends :)

Also just wanted to wish everyone on the New Railway Modellers Forum a safe and Happy Christmas!!!! :)

Thanks,
Dwarfboysim
My Blog
YouTube Channel
Model Rail Facebook Page

forest446

Postby forest446 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:10 pm

Congratulations on the news of a little addition to the family.
must admit im dreading that bombshell i wont want to move out my nice warm room back to the garage ha ha.
love the layout its really come on.
happy christmas
an hope to see some updates soon
A railroad engineer must be sure not to loose his train of thought or he might go down the wrong track.

Dwarfboysim

Postby Dwarfboysim » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:45 am

Hi all,
Not a lot to report. Fighting with the spiders in the Garage to stop the spinning webs all over my layout and hitching a free ride on the trains. Platform is now all fixed into place. I have fixed some cork underlay under the platform pieces to get it's level lined up with the carriages and rolling stock. Underlay and table area through the station has been painted grey in preparation for ballasting.
Going to attempt to ballast and glue my first set of points in the coming days. Hopefully they don't get gummed up. Have also included a link below to a quick 50 second video that I filmed on my iPhone this afternoon. My father brought around his Hornby Flying Scotsman and 15 Coaches so we setup a double header with Gordon and ran them around the layout.

Link to the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS7_8LTG ... zTCgpxR_Gr

Have also bought some new Skaledale scenery items: St Andrews Church, Garden Shed, War Memorial and a heap more signals. I also purchased a new Percy to replace my Percy from the 80's as he had some damage to body work etc caused by my younger sister playing with it years ago and only knowing 2 settings OFF and FLAT OUT.
During my childhood Percy spent many an occassion flying through the air off the track thanks to my sister. Just need to transfer the DCC Chip from the old 80's Percy to the new one. I think I will keep the old Percy in the hope that the new addition to the family will show an interest in model trains.

I also managed to pickup another set of Annie and Clarabel coaches as mine had several scratches and marks from my childhood.

I have included below a couple of pictures showing the Church etc.

New Scenery.jpg
New Scenery
New Scenery.jpg (174.13 KiB) Viewed 3180 times

New Scenery 2.jpg
New Scenery 2
New Scenery 2.jpg (194.41 KiB) Viewed 3178 times

Will try and get some more pictures up in the coming days.

Thanks for following.

Dwarfboysim
My Blog
YouTube Channel
Model Rail Facebook Page

Dwarfboysim

Postby Dwarfboysim » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:14 am

Hi all,
Well FINALLY finished painting all the underlay gray. It feels like its taken forever but haven't had a lot of spare time to do it. Now to get on ballasting so I can start running my trains around the track again. Missing not being able to run them around due to ballast works in progress. Also transferred the DCC Chip from the old Percy to the new one and bought the Thomas and Friends Works Unit Van. Signals are also installed and in place. Will get off my lazy butt and get new video and pics up soon.

Thanks,
Dwarfboysim
My Blog
YouTube Channel
Model Rail Facebook Page

Dwarfboysim

Postby Dwarfboysim » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:17 am

Hi everyone,
New Construction Video is now online at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHibbvROXtU

Runs for about 5-6 minutes. No trains running around this time. Mainly has some shots at various locations around the layout showing where I am up to with Ballasting, Signals, Platform, etc. Feel free to take a look and comment.

Thanks,
Dwarfboysim
My Blog
YouTube Channel
Model Rail Facebook Page

Dwarfboysim

Postby Dwarfboysim » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:46 am

Hi all,
Have spent the last 4 days getting stuck into Ballasting. Some good progress has been made. I have managed to ballast and glue 5 sets of points so far as well and they still work :)

Ballasting is definitely time consuming but the end result is looking AWESOME!!

Thanks for following.

Dwarfboysim
My Blog
YouTube Channel
Model Rail Facebook Page

Dwarfboysim

Re: New Layout Hornby Track Plan MODIFIED With Thomas & Frie

Postby Dwarfboysim » Thu May 17, 2012 11:32 am

Hi all,
Well the ballasting is FINALLY done. Been a drawn out process but its done and dusted. Took the time tonight to run some trains around the layout to test it out after giving the track a thorough clean. Pictures to come soon.

Thanks,
Dwarfboysim
My Blog
YouTube Channel
Model Rail Facebook Page

Dwarfboysim

Postby Dwarfboysim » Mon May 21, 2012 11:30 am

Hi all,
Well as promised here is a link to my most recent Facebook album showing my progress to date. The ballasting has been a long long long drawn out process. Getting bits and pieces done as I have had time. But finally it is complete. I am pretty happy with the result. The album can be found at: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 0454d2b1ad

I have included one or two pictures for the blog as well:

Table Shot 1.jpg
Table Shot 1.jpg (168.32 KiB) Viewed 2689 times

Table Shot 2.jpg
Table Shot 2.jpg (171.66 KiB) Viewed 2689 times

I utilised a Ballast Spreader that I picked up on eBay which made the process of spreading the ballast much easer than when I first started. If you would like to see a demonstration video of the Ballast spreader by the company I bought it from it can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIBlFJK3gnI

Next step now is to start planning the rest of the scenery and work out how I will do lighting etc. I have 2 model train shows coming up in the next 4-6 weeks so will have to work out what I need and head on down to do some serious spending.

And what would an update be without a brief video: http://youtu.be/PqpfkBIxLY8 showing Bill and Ben checking out the new Ballasting.

Apologies in advance for the blurry nature of the clip and also the radio playing in the background. The clip was shot using my Digital Camera rather than the Video Camera.

Well thats about it for now. Till the next update.

Thanks for following,
Dwarfboysim
My Blog
YouTube Channel
Model Rail Facebook Page

Dwarfboysim

Postby Dwarfboysim » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:50 am

Hi all,
Just another quick video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGHU6C8JKxw

Thanks,
Dwarfboysim
My Blog
YouTube Channel
Model Rail Facebook Page

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”