New Layout Hornby Track Plan MODIFIED With Thomas & Friends

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Dad-1

Re: New Layout Hornby Track Plan MODIFIED With Thomas & Friends

Post by Dad-1 »

A very complex Thomas set, I do like this layout.
Also impressed with the matching cross-over pairs of points working from
the one address (I have 3 sets like this). I noted that you've obviously taken
great care as you seem to have had 100% success from the off. For the
Select haters, here is the proof it works fine !! (within limits)

Geoff T.
Dwarfboysim

Post by Dwarfboysim »

Well a productive afternoon spent modelling. Track is now all pinned down. Have had to do some small modifications to my point motor houses as when my Express coaches were going past them onto the turn out they were brushing past them. This would have left marks on the coaches over time. I have filed back the slight overhang of the roof on the front and the coaches can move past fine. Have also secured down the turntable. Also placed the girders onto the bridge to get an idea how it will look. Will post some pictures soon. Will be doing a double check of the track pins in the coming days to ensure they are down low enough for the trains to pass over them, and then also finalise where I want to place my signals.

Train show in a few weeks saving up for a big spend up!!

Dwarfboysim
tom_tom_go

Post by tom_tom_go »

Can I come and play on your layout as the kids don't want Thomas & Friends running on the branch line I am building for them boo who :(

However, I might sneak the odd Sodor service in every now and then ;)

The layout is looking great well done.

Cheers,

Tom
The Feynman Problem-Solving Algorithm:
(1) Write down the problem
(2) Think very hard
(3) Write down the answer

16mm Robin Wood Light Railway - http://tinyurl.com/16mmNGM-rwlr
Scale Model Technical Services - www.smtsmodels.com
Dwarfboysim

Post by Dwarfboysim »

Hi all,
Well been a while since my last update. Have been spending time on the layout on and off over the last few weeks.

All the cabling tidying under the table is now complete. It looks much neater and should be harder for cats and dogs to get and pull at. (Photos to come)

I have also checked over all the track pinning to ensure all are down low enough. I have had to remove one or two pins here and there as they were holding the track at a slightly awkward angle and stopping the point motors from firing reliably.

I have spent this afternoon going around all the track with my track cleaning car, followed by going over it all thoroughly with a track cleaning rubber as well. I have now started the very time consuming task of running each of my 14 locos around all the sections of the track in both directions, facing both ways and with and without wagons etc. So far this has assisted me with identifying 1 or 2 small problem areas of track that I have adjusted.
It has also shown so far what locomotives are having problems picking up current over 1 or 2 sets of points depending on the direction they are travelling. I will do more research over the coming days to see if I can come up with a solution. So far Edward is the most problematic with 3 sets of points. Go nice and fast and he flies over them, go a bit slower and he judders to a halt for a second and then continues on.

I fitted a DCC Decoder Chip to an Oliver locomotive I located in the UK yesterday. I again hit the problem of R8249 Decoders with wires that have not been attached properly in the factory. Some careful nifty solder work on my part whilst making sure not to burn wifey's hand and I re-attached it. This is now the 3rd decoder chip I have had with this problem.

I managed to locate a Thomas and Friends Flying Scotsman at our local train show along wtth a D7101 and Diesel. This will bring my total collection of Thomas and Friends locomotives to 17 and should complete my set of locos from the original 26 books with the exception of Emily which was bought for my wife. I now have the following in my fleet:

1. Thomas
2. Edward
3. Henry
4. Gordon
5. James
6. Percy
7. Toby
8. Duck
9. Oliver
10. Emily
11. Devious Diesel
12. Bill
13. Ben
14. Stepney
15. Flying Scotsman (on layby)
16. D7101 *Hymek" (on layby)
17. Diesel (on layby)

I also have a large quantity of the rolling stock but there is too much to list here. :)

I also bought most of the remaining Skaledale platform I needed at the train show along with some coal loads, grave stones, wooden boxes and granite wall packs to place around my farm paddocks. I picked up the red Skaledale foot bridge at a good price as well. Also thanks to my parents picked up a 3rd Composite Coach for James's Train.

I will try and get off my backside this weekend to get together another video along with some updated pictures of my progress. The layout is starting to look a lot better with some bits and pieces of scenery starting to appear here and there.

One thing I am not sure on yet is giving I put cork underlay under my track which has raised it slightly should I be placing cork or something of the same thickness under the station platform etc to adjust it's height. I will have to have a close look to see how big the difference is and make a decision from there.

BTW did anyone happen to watch James May Toy Stories the Great Train Race over the weekend. We heard about it over here but are yet to get it on Australian TV. Guess I will just have to be patient. I have the DVD of the first 6 episodes.

Well thats it from me for now.

Thanks,
Dwarfboysim
Cinders And Ashes I'm Stuck, And He Was!!
My Blog
YouTube Channel
Model Rail Facebook Page
kennyGWSR

Post by kennyGWSR »

I watched it, it was very good. :) It will be worth the wait. Are you going to purchase the bahmann donald and douglas when they come out? You can get them from a place called trains on time in Pasiely, Scotland, £75 for the pair.
Dwarfboysim

Post by Dwarfboysim »

Not sure about the Bachmann Donald and Douglas as I have tended to stick the Hornby Loco's. Will definitely have a look and consider it though.

Dwarfboysim
My Blog
YouTube Channel
Model Rail Facebook Page
Dwarfboysim

Post by Dwarfboysim »

Hi all,
A long time coming but as promised here is another video showing some of the progress on my layout: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=980Zo6H9K64

Here are a few more pictures as well:
Edward On Bridge.jpg
Edward On Bridge.jpg (65.38 KiB) Viewed 4286 times
Circus.jpg
Circus.jpg (54.25 KiB) Viewed 4288 times
Bertie.jpg
Bertie.jpg (42.12 KiB) Viewed 4287 times
Henry.jpg
Henry.jpg (51.1 KiB) Viewed 4284 times
TARDIS.jpg
TARDIS.jpg (35.8 KiB) Viewed 4287 times
To see all the pictures in the gallery pop on over to: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... c64650e01e

Got a model train show coming up this weekend in Stawell so might be able to pickup some more stuff.

Dwarfboysim
My Blog
YouTube Channel
Model Rail Facebook Page
memyselfand1

Post by memyselfand1 »

Hey, just wanted to say I love the design. I can empathise with your troubles with the points decoder, mine took me about 2 years to finally work out...
Dwarfboysim

Post by Dwarfboysim »

Hi all,
Just spent the last 2 1/2 hours DCC'ing the newest 3 locomotives in my fleet: Diesel, D7101 "Hymek" and the Flying Scotsman. This now brings my fleet to a total of 17 locomotives and completes the collection of the Thomas and Friends Locomotives that featured in the original series.

Dwarfboysim
My Blog
YouTube Channel
Model Rail Facebook Page
Dwarfboysim

Post by Dwarfboysim »

Spent the last two nights doing some practice Ballasting on a piece of board with some track on underlay. Not sure I am 100% happy with it though. I get it looking nice and neat using a brush to get it in between the sleeps and a nice shoulder effect to cover the cork underlay. Then use the mix I was recommended of 3 parts PVA glue, 2 parts water and some dish washing detergent to glue it down but it seens to clump to some of ballast on the shoulder and causes it to me. Does anyone have any recommendations on Ballast or what sort of glue or modelling cement to use. I have tried to use and eye dropper but that has not helped much. Would a spray bottle be any better what happens if I get it on the track?

Any help or opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dwarfboysim
My Blog
YouTube Channel
Model Rail Facebook Page
GeoFF03

Post by GeoFF03 »

Did you pre-wet the ballast before applying the glue mix? Spraying water+washing up liguid on first helps the glue to flow better and stop the ballast from moving while you apply it.
trainsandco

Post by trainsandco »

Dwarfboysim wrote: and completes the collection of the Thomas and Friends Locomotives that featured in the original series.
What about BoCo?

Ben
Henley on Thames in the 30's

Southerner in a weird place called "Yorkshire"...

81D & 55A
Dwarfboysim

Post by Dwarfboysim »

GeoFF03 wrote:Did you pre-wet the ballast before applying the glue mix? Spraying water+washing up liguid on first helps the glue to flow better and stop the ballast from moving while you apply it.
Thanks for the tip. Have just tried it and it appears to have worked WONDERFULLY!!!!
My Blog
YouTube Channel
Model Rail Facebook Page
Dwarfboysim

Post by Dwarfboysim »

trainsandco wrote:
Dwarfboysim wrote: and completes the collection of the Thomas and Friends Locomotives that featured in the original series.
What about BoCo?

Ben
Hi Ben,
I don't think Boco is avaiable to buy in the Hornby Range. If he does come out along with Donald and Douglas etc I will be sure to get him.

Dwarfboysim
My Blog
YouTube Channel
Model Rail Facebook Page
Dwarfboysim

Post by Dwarfboysim »

Just spent the last 3 hours painting the bridge area with grey paint ready for Ballasting tomorrow.
My Blog
YouTube Channel
Model Rail Facebook Page