New Layout Hornby Track Plan MODIFIED With Thomas & Friends

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Dwarfboysim

Re: New Layout Hornby Track Plan MODIFIED With Thomas & Frie

Post by Dwarfboysim »

For anyone who is interested here is a rough mock up of the layout done with Hornby Track Master. Given the table is approximately 13 foot x 8 foot it gives you an idea how big and complex it is becoming.
Layout Plan UPDATED 2.jpg
Layout Plan UPDATED 2.jpg (129.43 KiB) Viewed 3462 times
Cinders And Ashes I'm Stuck, And He Was!!
My Blog
YouTube Channel
Model Rail Facebook Page
Dwarfboysim

Post by Dwarfboysim »

Hi all,
Just realised it has been almost 12 months since my last post. Hmmm what to report? Layout PC was replaced over the Easter weekend to a new one running Windows 8.1. Have reinstalled Rail Master and enabled the Pro Pack with Voice support. I can now control the layout in the following ways:

- from the Elite Controller
- via the PC with Rail Master software
- via my Voice using Rail Master Voice recognition
- via my iPhone using Rail Master handheld device support

Also reloaded Hornby Track-Master. Had a few issues with Hornby getting them to deactivate the licence from the old PC. They insisted on remote controlling the old PC and manually disabling it. Fiddly but all sorted now.

I have also managed to get Hornby Virtual Railroad 2 software running under Windows 8.1.

Other than that have been Servicing all the locomotives as being in a shed exposed to extreme temperature differences is taking its toll. Hopeful of moving into a bigger home in the near future then the layout can be back inside.

Attended 3 or 4 train shows. Videos on the You Tube channel. Feel free to have a look. Also have a new addition to our family. My gorgeous son Liam. Born 5th May, 2014. He is already showing a love for trains as is his big sister Alexis.

Well that's about it for now. Thanks for following. Will try and get a construction video update done in the near future.

Thanks,
Dwarfboysim
My Blog
YouTube Channel
Model Rail Facebook Page
Dwarfboysim

Post by Dwarfboysim »

Hi all,
Sorry for the lack of updates recently. Layout has been in storage whilst we build our new house. Good News though we are only about 7 weeks away from finishing the house and moving in. Then my layout get's it's own room.

Stay Tuned.

Thanks,
Dwarfboysim
My Blog
YouTube Channel
Model Rail Facebook Page
Emettman

Post by Emettman »

Hope all goes well.

I need my morning coffee.
For a second I read your post as " we are only about 7 weeks away from finishing the house and moving it."
Which seemed like poor planning.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."
Dwarfboysim

Post by Dwarfboysim »

HI all,
Well we are in!!!! All unpacked and layout is setup again. There have been many many hours of track cleaning, table cleaning and loco and rolling stock cleaning. After being in storage for 10 months and before that being in a shed with minimal use it's needed some long overdue TLC. Head on over to my YouTube channel (link in signature) and the Facebook page to see a couple of videos of the new room, some pictures and further news. I have now painted the paddock area of the farm with a brown undercoat of paint in preparation for laying some grass scatter.

I had the opportunity to attend the local model train clubs exhibition recently and even got the chance to exhibit some of my loco's on my fathers layout. Thomas was a real hit with the kids. Many kids dragged their parents back several times to watch Thomas, Percy, Gordon and James chug around the track. I have uploaded a video to the YouTube channel with some of the highlights.

Still got lots of cable tidying to do under the layout and labelling of cables so will be working on this in conjunction with servicing locos and cleaning track, locos and rolling stock. Plenty to keep me busy on a cold winters night.

Well that's about it for now. Keep checking back for more updates!!

Thanks,
Dwarfboysim
My Blog
YouTube Channel
Model Rail Facebook Page
Dwarfboysim

Post by Dwarfboysim »

Hi all,
Thought it was about time I popped up some pictures of what I have been up to with the layout:
Grassy Paddock
Grassy Paddock
PaddockGrass1.jpg (145.82 KiB) Viewed 2653 times
PaddockScene
PaddockScene
Paddock2.jpg (150.98 KiB) Viewed 2653 times
ControlDeck
ControlDeck
ControlDeck2.jpg (136.52 KiB) Viewed 2653 times
Tunnel1
Tunnel1
Tunnel11.jpg (283.6 KiB) Viewed 2653 times
Tunnel3
Tunnel3
Tunnel13.jpg (227.74 KiB) Viewed 2653 times
Tunnel coming along nicely. First attempts at grass were a failure but second attempt much better. I even got my daughter in on the painting of the grey in the tunnel. More updates to come.

Thanks for following.

Dwarfboysim
My Blog
YouTube Channel
Model Rail Facebook Page
Dwarfboysim

Post by Dwarfboysim »

Hi everyone,
Well my DCC Bus is FINALLY complete. It is all connected, cable tidied, labelled and tested. Constant voltage throughout according to the multimeter. Last of the point motors I need is due to arrive this week. So next task will be completing the install, testing and labelling of all the remaining points.

Have also completed the tunnel. I ended up Ballasting all the way through. (My OCD got the better of me). Roof of the tunnel is fixed down and ready to start shaping hills and mountain over and around it. Also took the opportunity whilst I was working under the table to drill a hole up into the station in preparation for lighting works to commence.

I am giving some consideration to changing my Hornby Signals over to Dapol or something similar. Would still like them to be semaphore but with lighting behind it and be able to control/change them via Rail Master and or the Elite.

Would be interested to hear people's thoughts on signals.

Well that's about it for now.

Dwarfboysim
My Blog
YouTube Channel
Model Rail Facebook Page
Dwarfboysim

Re: New Layout Hornby Track Plan MODIFIED With Thomas & Friends

Post by Dwarfboysim »

Hi all,
Just realised its been over a year since I posted any update on the blog. Have had lots happening on the layout and in my personal life. Got really sick towards the end of last year which laid me up for 4 weeks. Meaning no work on the layout.

Attended the 2017 Ballarat Model Train Show this year with a small 3 loop layout based off a Hornby Track Mat. Thomas and his friends came along for the weekend and were a HUGE hit with the all. We even let the kids have a turn at driving Toby around the layout.

As mentioned the Tunnel is now complete and painted. Had my first attempt at lighting the station but the globe light is too strong and causes the building to glow. Would love to paint the inside of the building with a coating of black paint then white but the building is glued down. My have to find a way of weakening the globe brightness. Currently using Skaledale lighting running off a lighting bus I installed under the table but may consider changing to another brand lighting in the future.

Also been painting a lot of the table top and spreading a lot of grass scatter as well. Even popped in a few bushes here and there. Did some ballasting along the long passing loop but glue mix must not have been right and a lot of the ballast didn't stick properly and will have to be redone. Have also "FINALLY" started on the mountains that will encompass the tunnel. Opted for the rolled up newspaper balls and plastering over it option. Still need to put a few more layers on and mould the shape over the top of the tunnel but a good start none the less. I have included a few random photos below
Tunnel (2).JPG
Tunnel (4).JPG
IMG_1847.JPG
IMG_0419.JPG
IMG_0455.JPG
My Blog
YouTube Channel
Model Rail Facebook Page
Dwarfboysim

Post by Dwarfboysim »

IMG_0460.JPG
IMG_0466.JPG
IMG_0501.JPG
IMG_0503.JPG
IMG_0504.JPG
My Blog
YouTube Channel
Model Rail Facebook Page
Dwarfboysim

Post by Dwarfboysim »

IMG_2300.JPG
Well that's about it for now. Will post some more updates soon.

Don't forget to have a look at my YouTube Channel and Facebook page for more updates. Links below.

Catchu,
Dwarfboysim
My Blog
YouTube Channel
Model Rail Facebook Page
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

It is nice to see your layout. Those Hornby controllers are huge. Never forget quite recently was the first time I had seen one other then in adverts. I assumed they were almost handheld devices like Bachmann's entry level controller, so I was rather surprised to fine all the buttons were so large and the whole thing was large. Twice the size I had expected.
It is nice to see your gradient from one level up to the next level.
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Coming along nicely! Reminds me of my roundy roundy Phase one. The Dapol signals are really super, buy one and see for yourself.
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
Emettman

Post by Emettman »

Dwarfboysim wrote:
Attended the 2017 Ballarat Model Train Show this year with a small 3 loop layout based off a Hornby Track Mat. Thomas and his friends came along for the weekend and were a HUGE hit with the all. We even let the kids have a turn at driving Toby around the layout.
That very often is popular, and doubly so if people can "drive".

For the "look with your eyes, not your hands" issue, I found a large inflatable hammer very effective.

Chris.
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."
Dwarfboysim

Post by Dwarfboysim »

Hi all,
Been a while since I have updated you with my progress. I now have a completed tunnel, the bridge is also well underway. There is also mountains on top and beside the tunnel. I have been busy laying scatter and painting buffers as well. I have compiled a video showing highlights from when I started to the present day. Pop over to: https://youtu.be/k2pCxrQgep8 and take a look at my progress.

Dwarfboysim
My Blog
YouTube Channel
Model Rail Facebook Page
End2end

Post by End2end »

Wow. I don't think I've ever seen such an elaborate Thomas layout. :o
Great stuff and thanks for the video too.
There is one thing missing though...... A couple of trainspotting schoolboys on the hill. :D

You may need upto 4 or more layers of paint inside the station building.
I light up most of my buildings and have found, especially Hornby buildings are thin when lit so need a few decent layers of paint.
I do it the same way as you've mentioned.
1-3 layers of black (checking the light leakage each time), then 1 or 2 (usually 2) top coats of light paint to help bounce the light around.

Although mine are slightly different as I use LED's rather than bulbs, so have more than one light source and they are usually connected to a removable framework, not stuck permanently in the building.....just in case they need to be removed, fixed or replaced. :idea:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread