Scragg End - N Gauge Terminus

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
beerandpies

Scragg End - N Gauge Terminus

Postby beerandpies » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:23 pm

The man in pink has upped and left Hollycroft, he's seeking new challenges and has moved to a small Northern town further up at the end of the line. Gone is the rural village, now his window looks out over a small retail area beside a 3 platform station... Across the tracks are a few small industrial units, the likes of which can be found trackside at many locations up here in the North... A mechanic, maybe a small scrap yard or garden centre.

The main bulk of traffic on the line will be the Class 150 and 156 passenger DMUs.

The track plan is basically C.J. Freezer's Minories layout, I decided to go with something tried and tested this time.

The baseboard was built in the week, today's snow has left me at a loose end so I decided to lay some track.

Not a lot of track, but looks like it'll be fun to operate

The layout allows access to all three platforms from the two mainlines

My old favourites.

The 156 leaves a few minutes late

Negotiating the points at the station mouth. A class 47 sits in the old siding.

I'm now just spending time running stock across the layout and making sure everything works ok before I commit to any scenics.
Based on what I learned on Hollycroft, there are feeds to the track all over this layout.
There will be a fiddle yard extending off the layout on the right.
cheers, Mark.
Scragg End

ste234

Re: Scragg End - N Gauge Terminus

Postby ste234 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:50 pm

Looks good mate, shame that class 150 has the big ugly rapido on the front though :P
Believe it or not, I've never seen the Minories track plan, so it will be interesting to see the man in pink develop on this one :wink:
Cheers,
Ste
'Springfield', N gauge Modern Era Layout

beerandpies

Postby beerandpies » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:54 pm

ste234 wrote:Looks good mate, shame that class 150 has the big ugly rapido on the front though :P
Believe it or not, I've never seen the Minories track plan, so it will be interesting to see the man in pink develop on this one :wink:
Cheers,
Ste

I do have the dummy couplings for the 150, I just never got round to installing them.
It' having a few running issues of late, the 156 rattles over points fine, but the 150 will just stall. I've been looking at the pickups but found nothing untoward as yet.
Last edited by beerandpies on Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Mark.
Scragg End

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:54 pm

I've thought about doing a Minories so many times - you can't go wrong with that plan. And like you say, not a lot of track but potential for fun operation - you can see that in the last picture with the train traversing all the pointwork (it just looks so 'right' ) :)

How many hidden sidings will you have?
I was thinking this could be a layout to automate... just sit back and watch trains arriving and departing ... create a little timetable for yourself (?)

Anyway good luck with this one.

Dale_the_noob

Postby Dale_the_noob » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:55 pm

ste234 wrote:Looks good mate, shame that class 150 has the big ugly rapido on the front though :P
Cheers,
Ste

The rapido can be removed/changed for a dummy coupling or simply removed.

Is that the Dapol 156 alongside the 150? Looks rather tasty and tasty enough for me to consider getting rid of my 159 fleet.

edit - you replied while I was typing. I'm looking forward to the 156 in regional railways :)

beerandpies

Postby beerandpies » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:03 pm

For the time being I'll just have a couple of lines in the fiddle yard, just add and remove stock as I see fit.
I'll probably throw something a bit better together in future.

Love the 156, it's a bit more plasticy than the Farish 150 but it runs beautifully
cheers, Mark.
Scragg End

kennyGWSR

Postby kennyGWSR » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:14 pm

this looks really good, looking forward to progress. :D
60089 Felstead :)
Layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=33128
Rail photos: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=28381

ste234

Postby ste234 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:53 pm

Love the 156, .Snip. it runs beautifully

How noisy is it when running? mine isn't the quietest and can sound quite harsh at a scale 150mph, probably my look and bought a dodgy one :roll:
Cheers,
Ste

beerandpies

Postby beerandpies » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:56 pm

ste234 wrote:
Love the 156, .Snip. it runs beautifully

How noisy is it when running? mine isn't the quietest and can sound quite harsh at a scale 150mph, probably my look and bought a dodgy one :roll:
Cheers,
Ste

Not noticeably noisy for me. The 66 I have sounds like a washing machine in comparison
cheers, Mark.
Scragg End

ste234

Postby ste234 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:00 pm

Hmm I must have a dodgy one, I've seen people say how smooth the motor is, and I wonder what they are talking about, I've just oiled it again, shall see if that gives any improvement :?

dagenham

Postby dagenham » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:12 pm

hi ya
happy xmas to you and your family
good start to your railway look forward to seeing the progress to your layout
with regards to your 66 problem if it is a new loco and you have the reciept then i would suggest sending it back to the manufatoer for closer inspection
hope this it might help
peter

beerandpies

Postby beerandpies » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:48 am

dagenham wrote:hi ya
happy xmas to you and your family
good start to your railway look forward to seeing the progress to your layout
with regards to your 66 problem if it is a new loco and you have the reciept then i would suggest sending it back to the manufatoer for closer inspection
hope this it might help
peter

Thanks, Merry Christmas!
It's an old second hand Dapol one, they're apparently known for their rough running qualities.
cheers, Mark.
Scragg End

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:40 pm

The Farish 66 is no better. Mine has been a bit of a dog ever since I got it and compared to the 37 is also a noisy ole thing.

beerandpies

Postby beerandpies » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:51 pm

Decided to get the raised back area defined today.. It'll all be screened with plasticard in time.... Just structural for now.

Also, being that I spent most of my time putting off building platforms on Hollycroft, I got them done out of the way on this layout.

Apologies for poor pic quality, SLR has been put away in some deep dark cupboard.
If I think on I'll check the flow of that front right point, it looks a little wonky
cheers, Mark.
Scragg End

beerandpies

Postby beerandpies » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:34 pm

Decided to have a go at scratch building today... First time I've attempted anything more complicated than a retaining wall.

The station building is based on Wigan North Western station building.
Difference being that this will be above the platforms on the back section, whereas Wigan North Western station is at street level with platforms above.

I printed timetables and posters using the computer. The roof isn't yet affixed, hence the gaps.

The interior is simple, I want to add a couple of people in to the ticket booth at some point but I can't find my bag of people right now.
The black square represents an off-layout pathway that would lead to stairs to the lower level.

Interior paint runs out for the front wall, it won't be seen from this angle without the roof.
cheers, Mark.
Scragg End

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”