MIDVILLE JUNCTION Modern 00

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
TimberSurf

Re: MIDVILLE JUNCTION Modern 00

Postby TimberSurf » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:04 pm

Not come across that seller before, yes certainly different style of lamp to the ones all the rest sell!
Servo connectors is exactly what I use for all my lighting too! :)
Lots of info and examples of building lighting on my thread, my website and my Youtube!
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:08 pm

Thanks Timbersurf,

It’s been a little while since I last looked at your site. Will be good to have a nosey round again. Always good info. I will also check out your YouTube channel

Thanks
Dan
My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30117

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:06 pm

Hi everyone

Another productive night in the shed. I have been fitting more lights to the station.

I’ve added another row of lights on the far side platform. These are the same lights as the others, but, I’ve pulled one of the heads off as they sit against the retaining wall.

I also bought a 5m roll of self adhesive LEDs. Simple to fit and wire, and they have allowed me to light under the lift-up section quickly and easily.

More photos than explaining today, not much to say but wiring seems to take me ages. I really enjoy it though, so it’s ok.

[url=tools.sportscard.trade]Generated from my Apple iPhone using tools.sportscard.trade[/url]

[url=tools.sportscard.trade]Generated from my Apple iPhone using tools.sportscard.trade[/url]

Any questions or comments, let me know.

The link to the LED lights is below:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/382182481777

Thanks
Dan

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:54 am

VERY impressive :D

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:41 am

There are more light on your layout than in all our village. :lol:

Love it. :)

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:21 pm

It’s all a novelty for me, Glencairn. I live in the sticks, we don’t have any street lights. The lights we do have go out when we feed the donkey :lol:

Thanks PNP, although it’s going to get silly with lights from here on in. I may end up modelling a power cut...

Thanks
Dan

bootneckbob

Postby bootneckbob » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:27 pm

WOW that's some layout!

Just having a quick look through after your comments on mine. I only had one cup of coffee so I mainly looked at the pictures but made me smaile seeing some of the same trials and tribulations. First thing I look at now with peoples layouts is what year was page 1 and I saw your's was a decade ago and with 28 pages I knew one cup wasn't goint to be enough.

I shall have to have a good read when time allows, but I have to say looks great and I love the size of it and the space you have.

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:35 pm

Thanks Bootneckbob,

I am on the third incarnation of the layout in its second building. So it’s chopped and changed a bit. I didn’t really see the point in starting a new thread each time as this has been my journey whichever way you slice it.

The shed itself is 6m x 3.2m or 20’ x 12’. I built it myself and have kicked myself ever since. It should have been 6’ wide and 40’ long. Oh well. It keeps me busy. Any the wife knows where I am :lol:

Thanks
Dan

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:23 am

Hi everyone

Not much to report from the last two nights activities.

I have at least made a start on the under pinning a of the last major section of the layout. The area that will be the farm/countryside scene.

I curved the plywood around the helix. This does two things. It makes a smooth edge that won’t catch you as you walk in, and, it looks cool!! 8)

I glued down the tunnel mouths and started some chicken wire and plaster cloth. Much more to do, but it’s a start.

Finally I am hanging ply which will be the back scene boards. In order to hide the return loop, this has a curve to bring it forward of the hidden tracks. I’m hoping it won’t be too obvious (as I’ve curved it).

See what you think...

Thanks
Dan

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:34 am

Ten out of ten, Dan. :) No snagged jumper etc, etc. Well done.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:14 pm

Not sure I'd seen your helix before Dan - very impressive (esp. with the curved facia :D). I think it contains more track than my entire (micro) layout :lol:

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:41 pm

Thanks for the kind comments.

The helix works really well. It helps doing modern-ish image. Heavy diesels with all wheel drive don’t bat and eyelid at the incline. Not sure how steamers would get on.

The curved facia was a happy accident. It feels less cramped as you enter the room. I won’t snag my clothes or skin on anything. It hides the helix and follows it round. I basically cut the ply and bent it as the frame was there. Laziness won the day!!

Thanks
Dan

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:39 am

That's some pretty impressive carpentry. I've often fancied a helix and it's nice to see a successful home-made one on a British outline layout.
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:47 am

Thanks Gerald, very kind of you to say.

The helix isn’t rocket science. It could be easily achieved even with basic tools and skills.

If people are interested I’ll post some more pictures of it. It is actually two helix’s stacked. There is a double spiral that takes the mainline down to the fiddle yard, and, the other takes the branch lines up and over itself to the hidden return lines. I’m making it sound more impressive than it actually is. It was the most compact way I could get all the tracks to rise or fall where I needed them to.

Thanks
Dan

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:14 pm

dan8400 wrote:If people are interested I’ll post some more pictures of it.Dan

That would be very interesting and it might save some of us from having to reinvent the wheel :) .
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”