MIDVILLE JUNCTION Modern 00

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Memran

Re: MIDVILLE JUNCTION Modern 00

Postby Memran » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:27 pm

Whenever I such great available space, I always imaging filling it in N instead of OO :D

Looking great by the way!

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:16 pm

Thank you Memran

To be honest N would be far too fiddly for my sausage fingers. OO can be a struggle at times. Especially with the Faller vehicles I have. They drive me mad, N gauge trains would be smaller still :shock:

Mind you, in N I would be able to get a huge amount of landscape in... something for the future maybe

Thanks
Dan
My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30117

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:58 pm

Hi everyone

Tonight I made a proper start on what will be the village scene. This area had a piece of ply roughed out and laid over. Tonight, I’ve braced it, hinged it and started to form the landscape. This whole village will be a hinged lid for access to the mainline return loop and the road system storage and return loop. I have a temporary prop in there for now but I may add a gas strut later.

I am out of plaster bandage / modroc for now so I cannot get much further. The chicken wire form for the village is done but there is more to contour at the back. If needs be, I can remove the whole board for working on.

I have also fitted guide wire, a set of my DIY points and done the first skim of filler for the top road.

I also glued some brick paper to the bridge abutments at the far end of the top road. Hardly worth mentioning, but it’ll take shape eventually

Photos:

[url=tools.sportscard.trade]Generated from my Apple iPhone using tools.sportscard.trade[/url]

[url=tools.sportscard.trade]Generated from my Apple iPhone using tools.sportscard.trade[/url]

Thanks
Dan

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:50 am

Good move to hinge that board and looks like it provides really good access 8)
I made the mistake of not providing enough access to hidden track in my Table Football layout, and occasionally had derailments under there which were rather difficult to extricate . . . :evil:

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:37 am

Thanks PNP,

I have learned the hard way with hidden tracks before :(

Thanks
Dan

Memran

Postby Memran » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:22 pm

Good update :)

I guess that opening is going to get heavier and heavier as you add detail on top of it. Consider a gas strut now before it's too late! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, good forethought in maintaining access :)

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:31 pm

It may well need two gas struts before I’m done :shock:

Thanks
Dan

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:35 pm

Hi everyone

Just a quick update today.

Some more progress on the bridge and ‘top road’. The area in the corner will be slightly raised and have a retail park on it. The road will carry on sweeping round and raise up to the station/town area (when I get it built).

Thanks
Dan

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:45 am

Is it snowing in Lincolnshire? :lol:

I have to pinch myself sometimes seeing someone build a large layout that is '00' gauge and not 'N'.

Looking good, Dan.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:19 am

Thanks Glencairn

It does look like snow doesn’t it. I’m trying to think of it as a blank canvas. It’s got to get worse before it gets better now...

Thanks
Dan

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:16 pm

Hi everyone

I am now starting new bits and trying to do what I can to carry on with the layout as I am waiting for other things to arrive. As mentioned a few post ago, I’m waiting for platform lights to finish the station, plaster bandage, tunnel mouths and a girder bridge kit.

So tonight I started on the terraced house section that lives on the far wall and extends the town into the suburbs and then the retail park area I have planned for the corner. The bus will travel in front of the houses into the town centre and arrive at the station. I have gathered a few of the metcalfe house kits (so there are more to assemble) so I have ‘chucked up’ the ones I have for now. This whole section is removable for access to the tracks underneath for derailments and maintenance.

The ruler represents the girder bridge...

Photos:

Thanks
Dan

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:18 pm

It's good to see those houses in a decent length terrace. Put a 14-16mm gap between the rows with some blue brick on the ground and tiny glimpse of back garden on the backscene, you have a great ginnel or snicket or whatever they call them in your locality.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:28 pm

Hi bufferstop

Great idea. I originally thought I would only get in the low relief versions, but I’m pleased I can get the full sized ones in. I have four or five more kits to assemble so it is better to use them than waste or sell them. I may even need more to really use up all of the space, as is the way with houses. Built on every inch of land in towns / cities.

I need another row (which may end up being low relief and a different manufacturer) for the opposite side of the town.

Thanks
Dan

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:52 pm

Hi everyone,

No update for a while as work has been mental, weather hot and coming home tired isn’t conducive to evening modelling. I have had a few evenings recently so there has been a little progress to report.

I’ve plastered the hill and village area above the lift up section. I’ve managed to paint some of it too. The tunnel mouths are fitted for the trains and faller vehicles.

The station area is my main focus at the moment. The lights are very fiddly to wire up. I hope to have them working tomorrow night. They work on the bench so fingers crossed when they’re properly fitted.

The retaining walls are pre-cast (and painted) plaster castings from eBay. They’re quite good. I have stuck them together on the lower section. They need a tidy up and weathering but they’re in. The upper section with the houses on still need to be completed.

The bridge from the houses to the raised town scene is fitted and has the guide wire fitted for the Faller bus. This is a 3D printed item, again from eBay.

On to the photos.

Thanks
Dan

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:31 pm

I like it. A nice blend of railway lines with enough scenery to make it believable. :) This is going to look nice. Don't forget to make room for signals, but from the looks of it, you will have plenty of room. :)

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”