MIDVILLE JUNCTION Modern 00

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
tractor37

Re: MIDVILLE JUNCTION Modern 00

Postby tractor37 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:55 pm

Hi Dan.
Been a long time since I was here last and I'm pleased to see your still up and running. Nice to see you in a warm shed now with the new version.
I'm hoping to start a layout again within the next few months so catching up on some old favourites.
Keep up the good work.
Jas :D

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:03 pm

Hi everyone,

I realise I have been quiet on my thread for a while but I have new wind in my sails for the railway.

I have wanted to try an airbrush for a while but was put off by the cost of the equipment. So, I thought I'd look on eBay and see what was what. I found a compressor and airbrush set for £20 from China. I ordered one with the intention of trying it on some track that I had started to ballast. I wasn't expecting much. It did, however, arrive promptly and I set to opening the box and rigging it up. I mixed my paint (rail match sleeper grime) and nervously pulled on the stick for paint. I tried on some scrap ply first and was surprised at how easy it was. The airbrush is easy to hold and operate. Press down for air and pull back for paint. I was amazed at how easily I could regulate the flow and coverage. Photos below show the airbrush set and some weathered track (photo doesn't do the track justice at all I'm afraid).

As I mentioned above, I have started ballasting. I really like doing this. I have my own little way of doing it. It suits me and I seem to get fairly good results. The weathering is only making me more determined to get ballast done so I can make it all look dirty!! Good incentive eh?!

My girder bridge sides are 3mm MDF from somebody on eBay. I have had them installed in their bare state for a while now. So I thought it was time for some paint. I fired up the airbrush and thinned some dark green Humbrol that i had left over from my Faller tractor fertiliser spreader (more on that later). It went on well but I think it may need another couple of coats. Then I can set about weathering it. I have also started to landscape this area ready for a river scene.

I am now getting to be quite pleased with the fertiliser spreader I have made for my Faller tractor. It is still a little rough round the edges but I'm happy so far. The tractor runs fine having halved the battery pack from two to one. This is now housed in the spreaders body. Pictures show a (not fully assembled) tractor and spreader and the mock up of the field the tractor will drive to and work in.

Finally for this update. I have made my first attempt at weathering a loco. This airbrush thing is addictive!! I separated the wheels and bogie frames. These have been done separately. Chassis is detached from the body. I have used sleeper grime around the chassis and bogies and roof dirt for the roof and grills. I need to mix some black to go around the exhausts next time I'm in there and after this first lot drys.

I have been having a look at some latching DPDT relays for making up my signal circuits too. There is nothing to see on this project just yet but hopefully I'll be getting some signals rigged up soon.

I am pleased to have been back in my shed after a loss of interest for a couple of months. I now have several things on the go at once. I like it this way as it means I can chop and change between projects if I get bored. I really hope I can keep the ball rolling now for the rest of the year and keep all of you lovely people updated on what is going on with Midville Junction.

Thats all for now, but if you have questions, comments or critisism please let me know.

Thanks
Dan
My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30117

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:47 pm

Hi everyone,

I have this week off. So I've been trying to spend as much time on the layout as possible (difficult). I have been getting on with the ballasting mainly. I am now all of the way through my second Woodland Scenics 'shaker' pot. I quite enjoy this job but frustrated by running out of stuff again. I should have ordered two or three last time. Oh well. More on the way.

I have also extended my shed. The extension is to actually be used as a shed. However, I wanted some large shelves down one side. One of the shelves will now house my turn around section. The photos will explain better. It gives me an extension to my layout by allowing more space inside and putting the turn arounds in the new shed.

I have also started on my first retaining wall section. I bought this mould off eBay a year or more ago. Used it once as a practice and then put it away. I am hoping to do one casting a night as my last job before I lock up. I will soon have enough bits if I keep it up.

Photos show: ballasting progress, holes made into shed extension, shelf in extension and mould going off on retaining wall section.

Questions and comments always welcome

Thanks
Dan

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:52 pm

Hi everyone,

Not much progress on the layout as I'm waiting for more ballast to arrive. So I have been getting on with my first ever loco weathering project. Pictures are below. I am quite pleased with it. It's not the best model in the world but it does run well. I am planning a lighting upgrade as it only has front lights. They are directional but no reds on the back look odd. I also added a driver. The cab is short of detail too. So maybe something else I can tackle at a later date.

I tried to be subtle. I didn't want to over do it. I made the sides grubby with a wash. My thinking was, that in service, this loco will see a train wash occasionally.

Anyway, let me know what you think and I am open to constructive criticism

Thanks
Dan

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:20 pm

dan8400 wrote:

Hi Dan

I really like the grubby wash. I think the underframe detailing works very well indeed. However, I'm less convinced by the blackening around the body grills - I can't find a single picture online of any real 67 where the body - rather than just the grill - has been soot-stained... I'm open to correction, but I think you make need to remove the black paint from the maroon and gold...!

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:28 pm

Hi Black Marlin,

Ah yes, I see what you mean. Shall I keep the dirt on the grille but not spill over onto the paint?

Thanks
Dan

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:58 pm

dan8400 wrote:Hi Black Marlin,

Ah yes, I see what you mean. Shall I keep the dirt on the grille but not spill over onto the paint?

Thanks
Dan

Hi Dan

Yes, I think that would look very well indeed :-)

Gavin

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:20 pm

Hi everyone,

I realise it has been a while since my last update but I have been flat out busy on the layout. I have started a new town scene which will incorporate the faller car system. This has a track plan all of its own. I have also devised a method of using a point motor to direct cars with the faller system. It's basically a point motor with the pin knocked out and some guide wire bent to pivot in the road and the point motor. This is covered with thin plasticard And painted to blend in with the road. Much cheaper than the faller items that do the same thing.

I have mainly been hard at work wiring up the main station side of the layout. All point motors are working as of tonight and I am about half way through the control panel led wiring. When this is done I will have illuminated routes at a glance. It has been a bit of a faff but I think it's worth it.

Photos show: new town scene, faller car system vehicle collection and control panel

Hopefully I will be a little more frequent in my updates in future. I have lots of projects on the go at once on the layout but not always much to show for it. I'm sure it will all come together eventually.

Any questions, comments or criticisms always welcome

Thanks
Dan

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:52 am

I wish I had discovered the Faller road system some time ago as I think it looks brilliant accompanying a model railway layout. I'm not sure it could be retro fitted without a lot of headache and upheaval. The space you have given over to your town scene deserves a system that allows movement of vehicular traffic. I don't think I've ever seen a roundabout modelled before either which is a nice touch.

Have you tried fitting the Faller motors in to Oxford Diecast vehicles? The gauge difference between HO and OO is sometimes glaringly obvious when it comes to the cars and van. There's a chap on YouTube who has done it quite successfully.

Great work Dan, I look forward to more on this side project.

Paul

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:02 am

Thanks for the reply Paul.

Roundabouts are everywhere so I thought: "why not". Both roundabouts incorporate my 'points' for traffic control. It works really well. Especially when the tanker is snaking round them.

All I did for roads was: superglue the guide wire to the baseboard. Then used the woodland scenics road tape and plaster. This isn't very thick after sanding and seems to work well with the vehicles.

Also, I have made the decision to go all HO road traffic. This is due to commercially available faller cars. Any other vehicles I add or convert will be HO to match.

Thanks for the interest
Dan

manna

Postby manna » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:23 pm

G'day Gents

Some very impressive work going on, love the bit where it goes through the wall, excellent. :D

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

End2end

Postby End2end » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:33 pm

Wow youv'e come on leaps and bounds. :)
Would love to see the car system running.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:39 pm

Thanks guys. Can't wait to get it running myself. At the moment testing involves impressing myself for a short time and then remembering to catch when the vehicle gets to the end of the baseboard! :D all good fun, eh?!

I have never made a video before (although I have a YouTube account) but I would love to try. I think the excitement of making it work will inspire me to do one.

Thanks
Dan

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:02 pm

Hi everyone and Happy New Year,

I have been slowly plugging away at the layout over the last four weeks since my last update.

I have started work on some scenery one end of the station baseboard. This is stapled down chicken wire which I've formed and then put plaster bandage on. I have then used some brown acrylic paint as a base colour. This is at the very early stages but it's nice to look at something different instead of the bare plywood it's been for so long. I have also been assembling some backscene boards along this whole end of the shed. This will be tricky to finally get right as it is in the doorway.

You can see in the bottom of one of the pictures the turn around loop for the faller car system. The road will run from the town scene alongside the railway and then disappear under the tracks to the rest of the world. Or to turn round on itself in reality. I have some more woodwork to do to carry this roadway but should make for something visually pleasing. I'm going to add a layby and a petrol station. Both of which will have my points system to allow traffic to stop and rest or 'refuel'. This is a way for me to control traffic and hopefully avoid collisions. I am using the basic faller system and not the all singing and dancing vehicles with sensors and braking etc.

I have cut a bit of mdf to represent a platform. I have given it a couple of coats of grey primer. It looks ok and the size and shape are good. I have some brick plasticard that I am going to glue to the sides and then I can think about a platform top surface.

Photos show: backscene and scenery. First stab at platforms. Station main board, with some stock. Proposed road area.

Also, as a side project, I bought a new shape hornby hst chassis. I have had to source wheels and bogie frames. I have cut and shut my Lima hst body to go on top. It is a mish mash but it works! I did try a power car both ends and even remotored two old hornby chassis but I couldn't get them to run right. This new chassis is a beast! It will pull a full length train even up and down my gradients.

Questions, comments and constructive criticism welcome, as always

Thanks
Dan

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:05 am

Hi everyone

Just a quick couple of videos of the HST I've been working on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvpGyJyLRcU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkuSBFuljkM

Thanks
Dan

Edit to change video source
Last edited by dan8400 on Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”