MIDVILLE JUNCTION Modern 00

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
dan8400

Re: MIDVILLE JUNCTION Modern 00 - new layout/updates page 1

Postby dan8400 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:44 pm

Hi everyone,

I have been busy laying track again the last few nights. I am almost finished in the fiddle yard so I am planning the boards to go above it. I am thinking of making these lift up or at least have some sections that lift. Fiddle yard access by the hand of God should hopefully be minimal, but it would be nice to get in there.

I realised that when reading threads of other members that I sometimes get lost and don't know which part of the layout I'm looking at. So I am including some overall shots of the room so that I hope you can get a perspective of the progress so far.

By the way, I have left all the tools and rubbish and other clutter laying around so you get a sense of 'atmosphere'. It's not because I couldn't be bothered to tidy up. Honest!

Thanks
Dan

Edit: the overall photos were taken on a rare, free Saturday afternoon. I had a great time. Hence the bottles that the eagle eyed will have seen :D
My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30117

lozstlouis

Postby lozstlouis » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:50 pm

dan8400 wrote:I had a great time. Hence the bottles that the eagle eyed will have seen :D

Glue sniffing or beer drinking? :lol: ahem :?
OO in the loft. Lenz 90 making it go.

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:07 pm

Haha not glue, no. The IPA I use for track cleaning has quite a whiff to it though :shock:

Thanks
Dan

AlbertInFrance

Postby AlbertInFrance » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:24 pm

dan8400 wrote:Haha not glue, no. The IPA I use for track cleaning has quite a whiff to it though :shock:

You clean tracks with India Pale Ale? !!!! :lol:
Albert in France
A Brit abroad

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:31 pm

dan8400 wrote:Hi everyone,

Just a quick hello and welcome to my new shed 6m x 3.6m (20 x 12).

It is 2.1m / 7' to the eaves. I have ply lined/insulated it and sheeted the (insulated) roof with coroline. The PVC door is second hand from eBay. I have still got to run the electric to it and paint inside.

Should be a good size for my new railway. Also, I have the possibility of going into the grass field in the future

Thanks
Dan

Hi Dan. RailwayRobbo here (Pete). I'm a relatively new member here and was just browsing back through your thread. I must say that shed is very impressive and 20' x 12' is a nice generous space for a layout. Did you build it yourself? If so I take my hat off to you, a job well done indeed. Although I'm not a modern image fan I'll be following your progress on Midville Junction with interest.It's always interesting to follow a layout's construction from the beginning. Good luck with progress in the future. Pete.

'PETERSDALE' where the Derbyshire coalfield meets the Peak District.

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:46 pm

Hi Pete

Welcome to the forum. Yes I built the shed myself. That's what my company does. I also have plenty of space for it. I'm lucky in that respect.

I look forward to seeing your layout when you get going. They are a great bunch on here. If you have any questions just ask. I've always found it very friendly and helpful.

Thanks
Dan

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:57 pm

Thanks for the welcome Dan.
I had plenty of space when I was a Technology teacher at school. The workshops with all the machinery, tools and space were a god send when I had to build my 'Layout Shed' (albeit 2 sides and the roof). The school workshop was alsdo very helpful when constructing the baseboards for my layout 'PETERSDALE'. I've been retired now for 3 years so I have the time now for some serious modelling.
Check out my thread 'The story of PETERSDALE my OO Gauge Branch Line'.

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:32 pm

Hi everyone,

I have been busy in the shed for the last few nights. I am now ready to start on the top section. This is tonight's job to finally fix it all down (hopefully). I have completed all track wiring so far and point motor wiring in the fiddle yard. I have kept this all surface mounted as it's just easier. I am pleased with the wiring I have done and (for once) have made a pretty neat job of it. The wire ends will go into a control panel to control the fiddle yard and the micro switches will show the routes set. It's far from rocket science but it's keeping me amused.

Photos show:

Fiddle yard point motor wiring.
Top section trial fitted boards.

I am working On the track plan for the top section. I have a good idea for how I want it to be, but I need to make sure it fits without looking crowded

Thanks
Dan

RailwayRobbo

Re: MIDVILLE JUNCTION Modern 00

Postby RailwayRobbo » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:20 pm

Lots of very festive green and red wiring there Dan and a Xmas bag as well.

Pete.

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:29 pm

Thanks Pete.

Believe it or not the Xmas bag still has some of last years presents in it that I haven't used yet. People, trees, cows, sheep etc etc

Thanks
Dan

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:16 pm

Hi everyone.

Just a couple of hours in the shed tonight. It feels like big progress though. I have started laying track on the final section! :D

I just need a couple of extra points to complete the job.

Photos show: track laying in the final section

Thanks
Dan

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:40 am

dan8400 wrote:Thanks Pete.

Believe it or not the Xmas bag still has some of last years presents in it that I haven't used yet. People, trees, cows, sheep etc etc

Thanks
Dan

That's another advantage of being a railway modeller. Christmas and Birthday present requests are always easily answered with something we need.
Just give the relevant site link and the job's done.
I have a feeling that Santa is bringing me one of Bachmann's ridiculously priced Hawksworth maroon Auto coach's this year. Fingers crossed.
Better than socks. LOL

Progress on the layout looking good.

Pete

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:56 am

Thanks Pete.

I agree on the presents thing. I am also reusing stuff from my old layout. Some of which was presents. So at least others can see you haven't wasted anything.

I must disagree on the socks thing. I love getting socks!! :P

Thanks
Dan

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:24 am

Hi everyone.

I hope everyone had a lovely Christmas and I wish you all a happy new year.

I have just realised that there has been no update on this page since 5th December. That's nearly a month ago! I have been busy on the layout since then and so I must go and take some photos.

Christmas was very good to me and my railway. I was very pleased that my wife took all the hints and got me a Faller Car System tractor. This is for a specific scene I want to create as well as cementing the idea that I should lay wire under all of the roads that I intend to build. I also got a low relief factory building from a friend. Lovely resin cast bachmann model which will create a scene almost on its own. My parents gave me the Walthers 'Flood Loader' building. I am going to use this in my gravel yard. There was a whole array of people, trees and smaller buildings which will all help when I get to making the layout come to life.

Keep your eyes open for an update either today or tomorrow

Thanks
Dan

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:04 pm

Hi everyone

There has been a slight change of plan at one end of the layout. So no progress to show you at the moment.

I have been having a play with my new Faller car system tractor. I am scratch building a fertiliser spreader for it. The plan is to have the tractor drive out of the farm to a large field. The tractor will stop and wait at the field gate. The gate will open with a servo and the tractor will enter the field. It will proceed up and down the tramlines before leaving the field, waiting for the gate to close and head back to the farm. I have been having a detailed look at this idea ever since I first laid eyes on the faller car system some years ago.

Pictures show: VERY early stages of fertiliser spreader development and general strip down of the tractor to add weight

Thanks
Dan

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”