MIDVILLE JUNCTION Modern 00

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
dan8400

MIDVILLE JUNCTION Modern 00

Postby dan8400 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:11 pm

Hi guys,

I have been working away at my layout for nearly a year now so I thought I really ought to start putting updates on here and photos etc. My first layout since I was about 12 (28 now). I am building the layout in one of our farm out-buildings. Luckily there is bags of room in there for me to go onto 3and a half of the walls, leaving the door accessable.

I have taken a great deal of inspiration from the former "Camelot Junction". I'm not saying it is a direct copy, but, a few of the key areas will be similar (and it's a mirror image). To that end full credit for any of the genius ideas and itellectual property go straight to Simon Hescott. The name Midville Junction is not very imaginative. Midville is the village in Lincolnshire that I live in and Junction.....well....ya know means Junction :wink:

Anyway, on to the photos so far.....

Whole Room

Stock

One End of Fiddle Yard

Other End of Fiddle Yard

TMD Area

Yard Area / Holding Sidings / Mainline

Prototype Control panel (lots of work needed but it does operate)

Hope the images work. I'm brand new (like ten minutes ago) to Photobucket :shock:

Thanks
Dan
Last edited by dan8400 on Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30117

dan8400

Re: Midville Junction

Postby dan8400 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:16 pm

Forgot to add this baby....

Class 37 I got from "nimbamoss" on here. Sweeeeet

Thanks
Dan

BIG DUNC

Postby BIG DUNC » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:19 pm

Hi Dan and welcome,

It's nice to see that you have so much room to house a layout in! :D
I like all your modern stock and that it's weathered.
Will be keeping an eye on you layout thread for your progress.
Keep up the good work.

Duncan...

BIG DUNC

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:25 pm

Hey Duncan,

I've been looking through your pages the last few days. Looking really good too!! Yes I'm lucky I have the room (approx 16 foot x 22 foot). Sometimes wish I only had room for a shunting puzzle because it can all drive me a bit mad!! lol. Will be nice when its working :D

Keep up the good work on your layout too

Thanks
Dan

lairadepot

Re: MIDVILLE JUNCTION Modern 00

Postby lairadepot » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:16 pm

hi dan
welcome to the forum
well what can i say but you jammy devil having all that room in a barn i bet its huge please you will have to post a pic of the barn to show us its true full size
so what do you plan typicaly on your layout???
and how quick do you expect the layout to progress
good luck and look forward to your progress
peter

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:46 pm

Hi Peter,

I am very lucky. A shed this size is too small for our business so it is effectively spare (obviously large for a railway room I know). Will get a pic from the outside when there isn't a blizzard outside! lol. Would also benefit from some carpet and some permanent heating (instead of space heater). But these can come after I've finished being messy :wink:

Layout is coming on pretty quick. We build Dog Kennels and Garden Sheds / Buildings so I have plenty of timber and building materials to hand (again very lucky). I am at a bit of a dead end waiting for more points and point motors (and money!!) to complete the fiddle yard (under the left hand section) so i can move onto the top layer.

Other than that it has been going great :)

Thanks
Dan

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:39 pm

Hi Dan8400,

The problem of extensive becomes expensive !!
Fantastic space there, years of filling that with scenic embellishments. Have to keep following this one .....
How damp does it become ? I ask simply because card buildings can suffer and you have space for a complete town !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Hulldude15

Postby Hulldude15 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:58 pm

This looks like it is going to be amazing (No pressure! :D). If you get it anything like camelot junction then you know it is going to be good.
hulldude15

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:26 pm

The shed is double brick and lined/insulated ceiling. Heat is only on when im in there. Doesnt seem damp at all tbh. Got some metcalfe stuff in there that ive been gathering, seems fine. Will keep an eye on that situation though as we go.

Youre right....extensive=expensive. But it is a long term project. Just keen to get trains moving / testing track before i cover it all in scenery.

Thanks for the views / opinions and encouragement so far :D

Thanks
Dan

lairadepot

Postby lairadepot » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:09 pm

hi ya
one thing i will say like alot of other people on here would say to you is that you cant do enough testing of trains running up and down your track until you are happy that your trains will not derail
what i try and generaly do is build a section of track and then run the loco or train up and down the line gradually uping the speed and if your going for dcc make sure when you wire it up you wire the track round the right way or you will have overloads
hope this helps
and i hope we have progress pics very soon and i hope your snow is not too bad
peter

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:51 am

Hi,

I have run out of money for the time being :( so I thought I would have a bash at some of the scenery. I already had some chicken wire, plaster cloth (modroc or whatever it's called) and some woodland scenics earth undercoat.

Now, the area I have started on is already wired, tested and complete. Certain areas on the layout now fit into this bracket and I have the materials. So in an attempt to save money I am pressing on!! :D

Now bearing in mind this is my first attempt at this sort of thing (and I'm using my phone camara) I'm quite pleased

Hopefully more updates soon

Thanks
Dan

NSE DAZ

Postby NSE DAZ » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:58 am

Hi Dan,

This looks like it is going to be a stunner when completed 8)

Great progress so far and look forward to more updates :wink:

Keep up the good work and updates,

Darren NSE DAZ
Unleashing the toothpaste livery!!!Thank you for travelling Network SouthEast

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:18 am

Hi Darren and thank you,

your layout continues to impress me. Hopefully mine'll be stunning too! I was surprised how easy it was to get the chicken wire/plaster bandage to look so good. I'm sure the devil is in the detail when it comes to grasses/trees and finishing touches

Thanks
Dan

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:44 am

dan8400 wrote:Hi Darren and thank you,

your layout continues to impress me. Hopefully mine'll be stunning too! I was surprised how easy it was to get the chicken wire/plaster bandage to look so good. I'm sure the devil is in the detail when it comes to grasses/trees and finishing touches

Thanks
Dan

Hi Dan

A full outbuilding to yourself! That's certainly something I fantasize about...I am very jealous. The first scenic work is looking excellent - I particularly like your use of the two retaining walls of the tunnel mouth as corner reinforcements. Very clever! As regards grass, you have a couple of options - scatter (see Durseystu's layout, 'The Bridge'), hanging basket liner (see ElDavo's layout, 'Cramdin Yard'), a combination of the two (which is what I did), or static grass (see Eastern's layout, 'East Cheltwell'). Trees are another question, but there was a recent comparison article in Model Rail (I'll go away and try to figure out which one) that may be of interest.

Anyway, as a fan of large layouts, and as someone who knows all too well how much they can cost, I'll be looking forward to seeing this one develop!

Regards,
Gavin

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:21 am

Hi Gavin,

Yes, I am a very lucky boy to have my 'shed' :D I think I am going the static grass route. I bought a converted fly swat thingy from ebay (as per youtube video instructions). Looks like a good bit of kit. Given it a go already. Need more static grass then need photos of it. I remember the tree thing in Model Rail you mention. I will go back and re-read it. Also a feature on static grasses but again, I'll do some digging

Thanks for your comments :)
Dan

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”