EWS TMD, N Gauge, Modern Era

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Infrontcat

Re: EWS TMD, N Gauge, Modern Era

Postby Infrontcat » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:10 am

Hi Matt

Just wanted to drop a line of encouragement and admiration for your efforts so far. The weathering is certainly coming along nicely. I think it's one of the easiest things to do but one of the hardest to get right! Thankfully, you are clearly getting the hang of it! The road sections look much better now that you've opened up the corners a bit ad it looks much more prototypical. The TMD building itself is developing nicely and I'd maybe be tempted to make a roof for it that detatches but it, perhaps, transparent in places? Just an idea that crossed my mind :wink:

Nice wide curves on the mainline, lots of scenery to illustrate the size of the operation and some nice static models to show off the whole thing: excellent job all round!

Cheers fella

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

auricom

Postby auricom » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:47 pm

cmeonthemove wrote:I'm guessing you mean my Network Rail coaches (never heard them called that before!). These are Graham Farish coaches which were stripped using Mr Muscle oven cleaner to remove the paint, then vinyls applied from Amsies and Electra.

Mr. Muscle loves the jobs you hate ey? :)
Chris

Bookseller, philosopher and brutally forthright. If you don't like what I say, so what?

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:12 pm

Well they say that but it's pretty useless for stripping the muck out of the oven! They should rename it Mr Muscle plastic model stripper!

Tractor Matt

Postby Tractor Matt » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:04 pm

Sorry no updates over the weekend had to work and spare time at the moment is taken up in preparation of baby number two due in 5 weeks. I have some holiday this week so I have had a little time to model. I've turned my focus to the buildings that I want to scratch build. I'm doing the buildings so that I can then move on to the finer details as with these in place I can accessorize and weather the layout (well that's the plan).

First building is the Office Block. I debated long and hard over purchasing the Scenecraft building with the add-on section. Once seeing this in the shops I soon decided against it. Don’t get me wrong nice model but too small and the add-on section looked out of place (sorry if this is on your layout). The building isn't finished in this picture. I want to add the entrance canopy, window details and accessorise the roof making it look more than just a brick.

The second addition to the layout is the fuel unloading terminal. This is from Knightwing. I have to still add a porta-kabin that is missing from this picture that I also purchased from Knightwing.

From the above two pictures you may see that I have added a wall around the TMD. I was going to purchase Palling fencing but from working out how much I needed and how expensive this would be I would rather spend the money on rolling stock and locos. This isn't a major part of the layout so I have saved money by making brick walls at a faction of the price and for a similar effect. They need another coat of Humbrol number 70 paint but I have run out (hopefully get more tomorrow). I have also started the wall around the Network Rail yard.

Whilst I was on a roll scratch-building I had space in the EWS yard that needed filling with something. So, on the computer I went and hovered over Toton and Bescot using Google Maps to get ideas and came across the stores building at Toton. So this isn't an exact copy but my take on an industrial unit that fits into my yard. Some new-bees to the hobby that are new to scratch building may want to see how I do it. I make a template first using thin plain plastic-card and on here mark out doors and windows. The reason it is plain is so when strengthening the building it is easier to glue supports in the corners in flat card instead of rigid/corrugated plastic. It also allows you to place fit the building without ruining patterned card that usually is more expensive if you need to adjust something. Once I have the pattern I cut the plastic card and glue to the pattern as you can see in the second picture. Remember to make two ends longer than the pattern so you are not left with a corner that doesn't meet. In the third picture you can see the supports in the corners. I have painted the top EWS maroon which is from Humbrol, I need brick paint so the bottom still needs doing.

See my layout under construction - http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30089

'There's nothing more satisfying than peeling dried glue from your fingers'

Tractor Matt

Re: Tinsdale EWS TMD, N Gauge, Modern Era

Postby Tractor Matt » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:49 pm

Sorry not really done loads this weekend to the layout as i'm waiting for supply's that haven't arrived in time for this weekend. I'm waiting for a delivery from Ebay and Hattons for hedging, tree armitures and foliage (woodland scenics)?

I have given the grass area on the hill another shading of green scatter material this weekend, this doesn't show up well on a photo because the shade is similar to the original colour. I have also finished the ballasting that was missing near the TMD fueling point and under the Motorway bridge (only have the bit near the tunnel mouth to finish now). I have also touched up on low patches of ballast and bits that have got sucked up when hoovering the track. I have given the whole area another coating of glue, washing up liquid and water mixture to stop this happening. I have also laid a black scatter material down in the Network rail yard (not sure if i like this yet will let you know when it's dried?).

Whilst waiting for the glue to settle down I have also installed my barriers to the gate house.

Last night I started designing my road signs as I couldn't touch the layout anymore as it was too wet and sticky. I have made these from images from google and editing them in paint and then resizing them in photoshop. To make the back of the sign grey and the paper more rigid I made the bottom of the A4 sheet grey and folded it once glued making the paper twice as thick and the rear grey. I have also had to re-lay the road surface on the motorway bridge as it became a victim of condensation so its been rubbed down and re painted (just needs weathering). The posts are brass rodding coated in grey primer and stuck to the back of the sign, fiddley job but i'm chuffed with the result (and there I was thinking that once I passed my driving test I will never have a need for the highway code again, ooh I was wrong).

See my layout under construction - http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30089

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:37 pm

Lovely work mate. These details can make all the difference.

Dave
My layouts (in progress):
Image and Image

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:41 pm

Wow this layout is coming on a treat! Great detailing around the yard and roads. The scatter looks fine to me, just needs a bit of dulling down with some thinned brown to add general grime to the ballast and blend it in. The scenics are coming along just fine.

Those Scanias do look well detailed for N scale. I definitely need to get a few of these when I'm back on a full wage...

Tractor Matt

Postby Tractor Matt » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:09 pm

Yesterday the postman brought me my package from Hattons. Tree Armatures and Fine Leaf Foliage (in medium), so I couldn't wait to get out of bed this morning and make some trees. Shame I have to work this afternoon or I would still be at it now.

I started of by drilling holes in sheet of wood to hold my trees in place, making it easier to transport them to the loft when complete. I then assembled the trees and positioned them in size order for easier selection for when I come to adding them to the layout. I bent the armatures in claw like postures and then applied Hob-e-tac (well not Hob-e-tac but the cheaper stuff by Scene-r-rama that looks like its made by Woodland Scenic’s for a cheaper price). This takes half an hour to turn clear so in the meantime I took to stripping the foliage from the stems that they come attached to. I then put these in an ice-cream tub as it has deeper sides and means you don't spill the foliage when putting it on the armatures. Once the foliage is stripped I then chopped it up even further with scissors as I have the smaller trees and didn’t want the foliage looking to big for the trunk (1 inch to 3 inches are the size that I have purchased)

I then plunged the trees in the tub and pulled of the loose bits and placed back on the wooden base. Once the board is full I will sprinkle yellow scatter material over the tree and spray with hairspray. As easy as One, Two, Tree (that's what they say on the Woodland Scenic’s how to video and it really is).

These are cheep and look fantastic. 10 out of 10 from me.

Tractor Matt

Postby Tractor Matt » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:17 pm

Today's update!!!

I have been out and purchased some clump foliage and light fine turf today from Hobbycraft in Coventry (which is ideal cos the train station is near the back of the car park so whilst someone was shopping I can train spot better than standing on the end of the lingerie aisle). I wish I had ordered clump foliage in the first place, it attached better than the fine leaf foliage to the armatures and at a third of the price went further. My trees making day's aren't over so lesson learnt. On the other hand all my trees are not the same shade like I see happens on some layouts so it helps the realism. Once the trees were complete I couldn't wait to install on the layout. Once they were all in place I gave them all one last coat of hairspray (the lady in Boots must of thought I was made as I am a skin head buying hairspray, he he he!). So I finished some more walling and added street lamps and some road signs that I have made up already. My hedging has come but this will wait until tomorrow before I add this to the layout.

auricom

Postby auricom » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:07 pm

Looking good Matt.

Just want to say this bit

which is ideal cos the train station is near the back of the car park so whilst someone was shopping I can train spot better than standing on the end of the lingerie aisle

There are worse places to spend than the lingerie section.....:P
Chris

Bookseller, philosopher and brutally forthright. If you don't like what I say, so what?

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:21 am

Those trees really do look the business, especially mounted on the layout. Certainly good for the price.

The latest set of pics look very good. The layout is coming along a treat.

Tractor Matt

Postby Tractor Matt » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:23 pm

Mr Postman brought new additions to my layout today! I have new transfers for renumbering my Dapol Stobart Containers, these have come via the N gauge society from C-Rail. More excitedly though my BR Snow Plough in Network Rail livery has arrived. This looks really smart (so smart that i'm thinking of getting another). Even though my layout is a mid summer layout it gets stored at my TMD until the winter. I have been on the search for a EWS 37 to sit behind this as i think these look great together.

I have also spent the weekend pondering what to put in the space behind the TMD. The space is only 8cm's wide which doesn't allow loads of room for nothing too big. I don't want the TMD building any bigger though I have thought of adding an office to the side. Anyone have any ideas? I've added photos to get an idea of space. The other building is the stores so a lot of spares and junk will be stored here. Help with ideas gratefully received.

auricom

Postby auricom » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:03 pm

It may sound bad, but as its behind the TMD its pointless putting anything visually pleasing behind it to fill the space as it wont be easily seen.

that dosnt exactly help with ideas, but its just my opinion.
Chris

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:47 am

You will want a road to access the rear of the TMD for lorries to bring in spares and fuel so you could mark out a narrow road here. Also a fire escape path would probably be a good idea with a few fire doors along the side of the TMD. Otherwise probably just junk or spare parts would do here.

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:37 pm

Hi there

Just wanted to say that the newly added roadside foliage looks extremely good in my opinion and I think you've done a great job so far with the ballasting, which I always assumed to be a complete pig in 'N' gauge!

As for the hairspray moment, that's nothin mate: I had to buy my girlfriend some 'personal hygene' products yesterday as she was too ill to go out! :roll:

And I agree with Chris: there are many much worse places to go than the lingerie aisle. Indeed, I take great pleasure in accompanying my girlfriend in the lingerie section when we are shopping in Southend, lol 8)

Cheers fella

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”