EWS TMD, N Gauge, Modern Era

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Ben A

Re: EWS TMD, N Gauge, Modern Era

Postby Ben A » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:58 pm

Hi Matt

Nice progress so far!

If you want to "break up" the empty space at the back of the TMD, then some stacked "bits" on pallets or even a plain container may do - either being unloaded or perhaps just "forgotten" on tarmac outside.

Your foliage and scenic work looks really good too. One thing that I have found works well is to put some (but not too much) green surface scatter around railway buildings, signal relay boxes, on the edges of tarmac areas, or even growing out of cracks in pavements or road surfaces etc. There are a lot more plants growing where they shouldn't be than there used to be.

Also, where did you get your permanent way "furniture" - signal relay boxes, yellow telephone posts etc? They look very good!

cheers

Ben A.

Tractor Matt

Postby Tractor Matt » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:39 am

Infrontcat wrote:Hi there

Just wanted to say that the newly added roadside foliage looks extremely good in my opinion and I think you've done a great job so far with the ballasting, which I always assumed to be a complete pig in 'N' gauge!

As for the hairspray moment, that's nothin mate: I had to buy my girlfriend some 'personal hygene' products yesterday as she was too ill to go out! :roll:

And I agree with Chris: there are many much worse places to go than the lingerie aisle. Indeed, I take great pleasure in accompanying my girlfriend in the lingerie section when we are shopping in Southend, lol 8)

Cheers fella

Tim

It is a pig of a job and not to do when you have a cold! You sneeze and you have to start again. Being from Ipswich (hense the tractor) originally I know Southend but not for it's shopping? Being from Essex you would probably know the Army and Navy roundabout with fly-over in Chelmsford? I really wanted to model this one day maybe it will have to wait until the next layout? Oooh i've just realised that Chris is from Norwich, no more nice comments from him?

Thanks for your encouragement greatly received.

Matt (blue army!!!)
See my layout under construction - http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30089

'There's nothing more satisfying than peeling dried glue from your fingers'

Tractor Matt

Postby Tractor Matt » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:55 am

Ben A wrote:Your foliage and scenic work looks really good too. One thing that I have found works well is to put some (but not too much) green surface scatter around railway buildings, signal relay boxes, on the edges of tarmac areas, or even growing out of cracks in pavements or road surfaces etc. There are a lot more plants growing where they shouldn't be than there used to be.

Also, where did you get your permanent way "furniture" - signal relay boxes, yellow telephone posts etc? They look very good!

I will blend in the buildings once i'm happy with their locations. I suppose this is a downfall when your not modelling a particular site so I keep moving things about from the original plan. I also want to blacken the ballast along the trackside and will end up doing this with the spray and compressor.

As for the trackside accessories the dummy point motors are from Peco as where the AWS ramps. Orange cabling is stripped phone cable using the orange cable only. The cabling trunking is 2mm squared placic rodding paintind concrete colours. Signal power boxes are from Hornby but I also want to order the ones from Knightwing to mix it up a bit. The Phone boxes are made by myself, by hammering in a track pin and cutting a square of plastic rodding gluing to the top and painting yellow. Before ballasting i wish i had added a path to the signal box and along the trackside for the trackside workers to use.

Many thanks for the comments

Matt
See my layout under construction - http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30089

Tractor Matt

Postby Tractor Matt » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:01 am

cmeonthemove wrote:You will want a road to access the rear of the TMD for lorries to bring in spares and fuel so you could mark out a narrow road here. Also a fire escape path would probably be a good idea with a few fire doors along the side of the TMD. Otherwise probably just junk or spare parts would do here.

I like the idea of a fire escape??? got me thinking.

The problem i have is that if a lorry went this far down the rear of the yard they would not be able to turn around leaving them to reverse out. 8cm is 11.84 metres i dougbt this is big enough to turn the lorry around in? Calling any lorry drivers out there, is this big enough?

Matt

auricom

Postby auricom » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:51 am

Hey Matt, anything new happening?
Chris

Bookseller, philosopher and brutally forthright. If you don't like what I say, so what?

Tractor Matt

Postby Tractor Matt » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:39 pm

Sorry not much to report on last week and I had to work the weekend and with only today off and back in tomorrow I haven't got much to report on (ooh I love shift work???). I have to also mention that i'm also trying to prepare our house for child number two that sould be arriving in the next three weeks?

The only addition to the layout last week were some Stobart Containers (the older style Dapol ones with Tesco Less CO2 on the side). I have been able to make some purchases today and will be awaiting for them to arrive this week so I will keep you posted. This week I am waiting on scenic bits from Knightwing (a new set of porta-kabins for the back of the TMD) and new office building from Gaugemaster to replace my scratch-built office (can't tell you the make because it is chinese?). I have also ordered the rest of the street lamps needed? Yes I need another 55 more, so this means this weekend I will have to paint these.

Also at present I am trying to save for more rolling stock and some of the wagons will be from the N-gauge society so will bring you updates on making rolling stock kits. I also want to increase my EWS fleet and I am also saving pennys for them. I have Stobart roof numbers and will be hopefully renumbering my containers this weekend once I mix the right colour to mask the old numbers.

Many thanks

Matt

NSE DAZ

Postby NSE DAZ » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:54 pm

Hi Matt,

Outstanding work you have achieved so far 8) really look forward to the updates,keep them coming,

All the best Darren NSE DAZ
Unleashing the toothpaste livery!!!Thank you for travelling Network SouthEast

Ben A

Postby Ben A » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:04 pm

Hi Matt

If you run into trouble or are unsure of anything with the NGS kits please ask - I designed some of the modern ones and may be able to assist.

cheers

Ben A.

point Blank

Postby point Blank » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:03 pm

Love the layout Matt, keep up the good work. Regarding the space around the TMD, I couldn't help but notice that the workers have no mess room, toilet facilities, or supervisors offices etc, even the smallest servicing points have these so an accomodation building could be a consideration.

Tractor Matt

Postby Tractor Matt » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:08 pm

Ok Post woman came today with two parcels out of the three. I had one package from P D Marsh and another from Knightwing.

From P D Marsh I have received 55 more street lamps (C02) and from Knightwing I have two more Porta-cabins (PN10), TMD accessories (A29), 2 forklift trucks (A51) and Lineside power boxes (A36). That means I’ll be busy this weekend photos to follow once I have these primed and painted.

Matt

Tractor Matt

Postby Tractor Matt » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:09 pm

Weekend update - I had chance yesterday to prime and paint all 55 street lamps. I sprayed them silver after the grey primer had dried and then the tops were painted by hand with Tamiya white X2. I then had the task of adding them to the layout this morning. A simple process of drilling a hole filling with super glue and placing the street lamp in the hole. A very tedious task but really sets the road off well. I have also added the give way signs to the junctions that i have made in the same process as the previous signs and these were added in the same way as the street lamps.

From the below photo's you may be able to see the new office building from KATO. Not sure about it at the moment; it looks too skiny? I've also added some progress pictures of how it is looking at the moment.

deanno

Postby deanno » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:26 pm

Tractor Matt wrote:
cmeonthemove wrote:You will want a road to access the rear of the TMD for lorries to bring in spares and fuel so you could mark out a narrow road here. Also a fire escape path would probably be a good idea with a few fire doors along the side of the TMD. Otherwise probably just junk or spare parts would do here.

I like the idea of a fire escape??? got me thinking.

The problem i have is that if a lorry went this far down the rear of the yard they would not be able to turn around leaving them to reverse out. 8cm is 11.84 metres i dougbt this is big enough to turn the lorry around in? Calling any lorry drivers out there, is this big enough?

Matt

No this wouldn't be enough for a unit and trailer to turn round. The average length of a combined rig is around 16 meters

Tank

Postby Tank » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:13 pm

This layout looks superb. I really like the modern look of it and your large shed. :)
N Gauge Ministry of Defence Depot:- Click Here
Old layout - New SouthEaston (now sold!) - Click Here
http://www.NGaugeForum.co.uk

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:36 pm

Those street lamps really do make the whole road look so natural.
As you said, it must be a tedious job but it looks well worth it.

Dave
My layouts (in progress):
Image and Image

GROTLAND

Postby GROTLAND » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:15 am

I like this layout a lot Matt. You've got the modern industrial site just right and exploit 'n' to the maximum potential. The whole layout is totally believable from the scenics and track down to the rolling stock and trucks/loaders. I've worked at such places and it strikes a chord in me/.......the whine of the 66 in the night :D

Top work...you should be proud!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”