EWS TMD, N Gauge, Modern Era

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Tractor Matt

EWS TMD, N Gauge, Modern Era

Postby Tractor Matt » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:56 am

This is my first time I have entered on a forum and thought that I too would like to share my modern era, N gauge, loft layout. The layout is 13ft by 2ft with a further 1ft by 13ft fiddle yard to the rear of my loft behind the layout. The layout is not a representation of a real location but I have inspiration from real locations that I have seen or merely watched clips of on you tube.

Starting from the west I plan to have a town scene based on the main road into a city (with no name as of present). I’m a truck enthusiast so looking to have a truck sales/forecourt in this location with a garage facility. This is to be raised to hide the curve into the fiddle yard.

The next location I am planning on having is a small Intermodal yard filled with Stobart and ECS 45ft containers based on a nearby location to me found to the west of Rugby Station. (I will post some pictures from the footbridge on Wood Street, Rugby that I have taken this year so you get the idea what I am going to create). This has thrown up another challenge, which I will have to make my own 45ft skelly trailers. I will include pictures once I work out how to upload them.

Moving further down the layout I am looking at having a EWS TMD yard with a small office area. The layout is to be based in the midlands so plans are that the trains arrive with the intention for drivers to terminate here and to change drivers to carry on up north or down south etc. This allows me to introduce the train in the yard stop, possibly change trains and then proceed out of the yard. I am looking in scratch building the shed based between the sheds at Toton and Bescot. The yard is of the mainline. I did have plans to run a two track loop at the back of the yard to portray a mainline with passing Virgin Voyagers and London Midland 150’s.

In the east of the yard I have built a motorway bridge that will hide the other set of curves and the back scene I have built warehouses that I am also planning on sharing with you all.
See my layout under construction - http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30089

'There's nothing more satisfying than peeling dried glue from your fingers'

NSE DAZ

Re: EWS TMD, N Gauge, Modern Era

Postby NSE DAZ » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:21 pm

Hi Tractor Matt,

Welcome to the forum :D

This all sounds good 8) , look forward to seeing this layout progress :wink:

When you have time add some pictures up of your progress so far, this will help gain a better understanding.

Look forward to the updates

Thanks Darren NSE DAZ
Unleashing the toothpaste livery!!!Thank you for travelling Network SouthEast

m8internet

Postby m8internet » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:40 pm

Tractor Matt wrote:In the east of the yard I have built a motorway bridge that will hide the other set of curves and the back scene I have built warehouses that I am also planning on sharing with you all

A motorway or road going over the railway is the normal method to disguise the end of the scenic area

If you want some inspiration for EW&S or EWS then I may be able to help as I have just about every Farish and Dapol loco in those liveries
The only ones I have avoided so far are the TransRail and Scotsman ones
However, the rest are Class 37/4, 56, 60, and 66
I have still to add a Class 67 and I do not plan to add a Class 47 (the Farish body does not fit the chassis correctly)
Glasgow Queen Street Model Railway layout : modern image N gauge using DCC

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:47 pm

Welcome to the forum Matt.

It sounds like your layout is going to be an extended version of mine - and what I would have done had I had a bit more space to work with. Look forward to seeing some progress pics when you get going.

When you get to doing your truck sales place have a look at Langley's website under Ready Made Items - they have some modern Scania, Iveco and Renault trucks.

small358786

Postby small358786 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:18 pm

Ooooh another N gauge TMD,get on with it then so we can have a look see,hehe

phil sabin

Postby phil sabin » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:20 pm

welcome to the site matt,

This sounds like a really good layout you have planned, Look forward to seeing the updates.
Last edited by phil sabin on Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My N gauge layout Milton Grove TMD viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27781

BIG DUNC

Postby BIG DUNC » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:24 pm

Hi,
Can't wait to see some picture's of your layout.

Duncan...

BIG DUNC

Tractor Matt

Postby Tractor Matt » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:06 pm

Some pictures as promised of the Stobart Depot in Rugby, these were taken from the foot bridge on Wood Street. (first time so hope these work)

Last edited by Tractor Matt on Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:22 am, edited 6 times in total.
See my layout under construction - http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30089

Tractor Matt

Postby Tractor Matt » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:11 pm

Please find my track plan below:

You can see that the curves on the trackplan are radius one and two but these have been changed. I have also been a victim of Farish's OBA derailments, they just don't like R1 curves. "But hey we learn from mistakes" should have reaserched before I starting laying the track. They have been changed to radius 3 and 4 and "touch wood" no problems?

m8internet

Postby m8internet » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:11 pm

edit those links to read as follows :

Code: Select all

[img]http://www.website.com/img/name.jpg[/img]
Glasgow Queen Street Model Railway layout : modern image N gauge using DCC

Tractor Matt

Postby Tractor Matt » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:49 pm

cmeonthemove wrote:When you get to doing your truck sales place have a look at Langley's website under Ready Made Items - they have some modern Scania, Iveco and Renault trucks.

I have seen these and they look great (lets see what santa delivers). I will have to change some of the Scanias into Stobarts Livery though to have in the Stobart Yard!

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:53 pm

Tractor Matt wrote:I have seen these and they look great (lets see what santa delivers). I will have to change some of the Scanias into Stobarts Livery though to have in the Stobart Yard!

If you do I'd love to see the photos as 1/148 is about the only scale I haven't yet seen a Stobart model! Before railways I spent 10 or so years building model trucks and one of my mates repaints 1/50 models into Stobarts but also did 1/76 and 1/24. Crafty Computer Paper is good for printing the wrap decals on.

Tractor Matt

Postby Tractor Matt » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:14 pm

I have built my Control Panel. First one i've ever built and i'm glad with the end result

I have started to wire the point motors in this picture (All complete know) Ooh and a tip don't cut the rods whist attached to the points as these get hot and melt the holes.

Tractor Matt

Postby Tractor Matt » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:32 pm

BIG DUNC wrote:Hi,
Can't wait to see some picture's of your layout.

These are just some snaps off bits I have done so far in no real order

Last edited by Tractor Matt on Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:05 pm

Looking really good Matt.

One question though: On your control panel (excellent by the way) how have you made the Black lines? Look to be better than paint or marker pen (which i what i tried so far...)

Thanks and keep up the good work

Dan
My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30117

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”