EWS TMD, N Gauge, Modern Era

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
auricom

Re: EWS TMD, N Gauge, Modern Era

Post by auricom »

I really like this layout :) I really like the bridge you have over the drain. ITs layouts like this and Chris' Old Warren TMD that make me want to have a go at an n gauge layout someday. Really looking forward to following this one.
Chris

Bookseller, philosopher and brutally forthright. If you don't like what I say, so what?
Tractor Matt

Post by Tractor Matt »

Been to Stoneleigh Park today to the Train Fair with pocket money that was converted from 'Wifey Points' i'd banked up (if your married you will be aware of the procedure to earn points and points mean prizes)?

So you probably want to see what I have purchased? From Knightwing I purchased the Gantry Crane (AO39) the Compressor and bench set (AO29) and the Portacabin (PN010). From Fleetline two Ford Transit Vans and from Langley two Scania artics.

(in this photo I have spotted that I need to re glue the sheets and spray them with Hairspray again)

This afternoon I set aside time to redo the corners on the road which I have to admit look more realistic (I've had an obsession with studying corners this week to get sizes and curvatures). The pavement still needs painting and blending in on these photos.

Then I started this evening to paint and add bits in the TMD and make some of the bits I got today!

Thanks Matt
See my layout under construction - http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 22&t=30089

'There's nothing more satisfying than peeling dried glue from your fingers'
cmeonthemove

Post by cmeonthemove »

Those Scanias look like great little models. I've got a few of these on my shopping list along with the Renault Magnum & Iveco Stralis models. Those Transits look like quite good castings too, although I prefer the Rietze Transits as these have interior detail potential.

Your road is coming along nicely too. I like the patchwork look to it - very typical of the roads around here. Just need a few potholes now!
cmeonthemove

Post by cmeonthemove »

auricom wrote:I really like this layout :) I really like the bridge you have over the drain. ITs layouts like this and Chris' Old Warren TMD that make me want to have a go at an n gauge layout someday. Really looking forward to following this one.
Go on - you know you want to!
briantwigley

Post by briantwigley »

I have the transits too, very nice models. Got some nice bits there.

Ryan
knottinbotswana

Post by knottinbotswana »

Fantastic! Almost brings a tear to my eye!

Your next mission, should you choose to accept it, is related to your comment about painting and blending on the paving. Fresh from standing on street corners and staring at kerbs go and stand on some street corners and gaze at the detritus in the road. I've seen it mentioned on scenic threads as well: look at how the asphalt has different shades and textures depending where it is on the road: darker where the tyres run, lighter in the centre and loose gravel accumulating in the lee of kerbed islands and other places where wheels don't go. I'm wondering whether the ink on the sheets would smudge slightly or if weathering powders would work?

See how the main road (dual carriageway) is generally dark but traffic from the dusty side roads leaves lighter trails? Also, where heavy trucks make tight turns the tyres scrub and leave darker marks. Especially on lighter concrete. Ditto areas where the reach stackers work.

On a digression, if you follow the link and go east you will find Francistown railway station with various goods yards and a shed between the north end of the platform and a car park that contains a Garrett BP 6938/1940, sadly a non-runner. Follow the line north to another industrial area with grain and fuel infrastructure.

p.s. the Google Maps thing looks particularly impressive if you tilt the map like you're flying!
p.p.s. N-gauge air compressors? Fantastic! You need a tyre fitting workshop...

Edit: and true about patchwork roads. Not just from gas/water/telecoms/broadband/cable tv/electricity companies digging it up but also just from construction. You will see that a typical road may take two or three passes to cover the width with the paving machine, and each day starts a new section: look for seams! They also use different types of asphalt depending on the traffic and location, but that might be too much like rivet-counting for comfort!
Tractor Matt

Post by Tractor Matt »

knottinbotswana wrote:Fantastic! Almost brings a tear to my eye!

Your next mission, should you choose to accept it, is related to your comment about painting and blending on the paving. Fresh from standing on street corners and staring at kerbs go and stand on some street corners and gaze at the detritus in the road. I've seen it mentioned on scenic threads as well: look at how the asphalt has different shades and textures depending where it is on the road: darker where the tyres run, lighter in the centre and loose gravel accumulating in the lee of kerbed islands and other places where wheels don't go. I'm wondering whether the ink on the sheets would smudge slightly or if weathering powders would work?
Thanks for the post Knottinbotswana - There's one problem with using paper or card in the loft you need to be careful when it come to condensation? When the water sits on the sheets it makes the ink run and leaves a white ring that if left for longer it moulds slightly. Leaving you with a road that needs relaying. What I have done is once the road is laid I spray either clear modelling vanish on the top or even hairspray (cheap hairspray will do) so you can't smudge the ink after it is laid. What you can do is use a fine spray with the compressor on medium and blend paint on the road using a variety of blacks and greys. I have done this on my display bases for my 1:24 scale models that I also build? How this will look in 1:148 I’m not to sure?

I have also tried the Tamiya weathering powders but these smudge terribly on the road?

Maybe you could have a try and let us know what works best for you?

Chris you have a fantastic road on your Old Warren layout maybe you could share your experiences of blending in the detritus has you painted your road and not cheat with Scalescenes?
See my layout under construction - http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 22&t=30089

m8internet

Post by m8internet »

Tractor Matt wrote:There's one problem with using paper or card in the loft you need to be careful when it come to condensation?
Install a dehumidifier
Just remember to empty it at regular intervals
Equally, install a heater with a thermostat
That way the temperature and humidity will be reasonably well regulated
Glasgow Queen Street Model Railway layout : modern image N gauge using DCC
cmeonthemove

Post by cmeonthemove »

Tractor Matt wrote:Chris you have a fantastic road on your Old Warren layout maybe you could share your experiences of blending in the detritus has you painted your road and not cheat with Scalescenes?
Very simple technique I used. The road surface is Tamiya German Grey painted directly onto the baseboard (ply) then weathered with black weathering powders to give a used look. The lines are strips of Trimline self-adhesive vinyl tape. The arrows are made from thicker pieces of Trimline with the arrow shapes drawn on then cut out.
Tractor Matt

Post by Tractor Matt »

I've not been on the layout today just the work bench. Painting has been the main focus and mainly to finish bits I have brought for the TMD. I have made workbenches, shelving and platforms today from plastic card and strip. I have found that I have areas where more accessories are need, so going to spend this evening searching for more pictures of TMD's for ideas to fill the gap at the back right hand corner and your ideas are welcome to?

Matt

Rammy

Post by Rammy »

Great detailing in the TMD Matt. It will be a shame to cover it all with a roof really. What is your plan for the roof? Will it have plenty of skylights to be able to see in?
I can image you installing a few mini-cameras and having the images on a screen, or maybe I'm just getting carried away! :D
Great work

Dave
My layouts (in progress):
Image and Image
cmeonthemove

Post by cmeonthemove »

This is a great bit of detailing. I'm watching this one closely as it's giving me some useful ideas for my own loco shed. Those platforms are a good idea. The only difference is mine has a roof, although I plan to add lighting to hopefully highlight the interior detail...
Tractor Matt

Post by Tractor Matt »

Rammy wrote:Great detailing in the TMD Matt. It will be a shame to cover it all with a roof really. What is your plan for the roof? Will it have plenty of skylights to be able to see in?
I know it seems a shame to cover it up i'm debating on the roof that either detaches or to add beams and leave it off. Something to think about while i'm nodding off this week?

Thanks for the comments too Chris. I'm missing some maintenance pits (wish i'd planned this in to the track laying stages but I wasn't gonna get this carried away with the TMD interior) so I will have to send my trains for your maintence crew to work on! he he he!

Matt

Chris one other thing where did you get your yellow doctor set from? Have you seen Dapol are introducing Network Rail Ballast wagons and Class 86 (86901 + 86902).

ste234

Post by ste234 »

Hi Matt, why not use clear plasticard for the Depot roof, with some beams/girders whatever they are called, then you can still see the detail inside?
Ste
'Springfield', N gauge Modern Era Layout
cmeonthemove

Post by cmeonthemove »

Tractor Matt wrote:Chris one other thing where did you get your yellow doctor set from? Have you seen Dapol are introducing Network Rail Ballast wagons and Class 86 (86901 + 86902).
I'm guessing you mean my Network Rail coaches (never heard them called that before!). These are Graham Farish coaches which were stripped using Mr Muscle oven cleaner to remove the paint, then vinyls applied from Amsies and Electra.

http://www.amsiesmodels.co.uk/prvdeptcoaches.htm
http://www.warr.biz/erg/departmental.htm