Lamba Valley Railway

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Twitcherboo45

Lamba Valley Railway

Postby Twitcherboo45 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:22 pm

The LVR or the Lamba Valley Railway to give its correct name was built in the later years of 1896 to 1898; the branch ran for 6 miles 3 chains from Lowes Hill to the junction of Quinton Street junction. The line then carried on to the mainline connection at Claglington Junction.
The route was built in confined spaces and deep cutting where made threw the surrounding outer Birmingham suburban Areas. There where two intermediate stations along the route, one at Flushum which had a loop and a small goods yard. The second station was Capperton halt which had a siding for the local brewery.
Lowes Hill was originally opened to passenger and goods traffic but soon became apparent that the demand for the passenger service was to demanding for the space available at the termini, so auto trains where deployed so that quick run around times and two coach trains could be accommodated in the limited station layout. The railway was closed to goods in winter 1959 with the passenger service lasting the summer of 1963.

The Lamba valley Railway was formed on Saturday 23rd February 2010 and the preservation society’s main aim was to try and purchase the former track bed of Lowes hill station. The local council who now owned the land had no objections to the society’s proposal to reintroduce the railway. A swift sale was achieved as the council wanted a quick sale after they evicted there previous tenants on health and safety grounds, Sadly nothing remained on site so everything that will appear is of a new build but to what the original track bed would have looked like.

Last edited by Twitcherboo45 on Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Pike - You stupid boy!

littlenobby

Re: Lamba Valley Railway

Postby littlenobby » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:40 pm

Good introduction there Chris :)

craw607

Postby craw607 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:59 pm

That's a nice conception for building a layout.
John

Twitcherboo45

Postby Twitcherboo45 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:32 pm

Works progressing well with the layout. Most of the point work is now been in place and tested but it will all have to be removed so that i can solder underneath them as to aid with pick ups for the loco's. photo's will follow soon
Pike - You stupid boy!

Twitcherboo45

Postby Twitcherboo45 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:01 pm

The layout is taking shape but due to school work and railway commitments it has taken a back foot for the time being but heres a photo to show what i have managed.

The 45xx before the paint shop visit
The 45xx after the paint shop visit

The layout progress, plus clutter
Last edited by Twitcherboo45 on Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:40 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Pike - You stupid boy!

littlenobby

Postby littlenobby » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:02 pm

One for Chris who is having trouble uploading photos, his 14xx conversion taking shape...

Twitcherboo45

Postby Twitcherboo45 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:19 pm

Removal of clutter has started to commence so that the layout can be unscrewed from it brackets this weekend and an attempt to sort the wiring out can begin. Trunking will be used on the underside to keep the wiring neat and tidy, running parralel to that will be two copper tracks which will provide the feeds for the track, this is because the point are electrofrogs so need insulating on the frogs and power feeded to the track further along. Once the important points are wired in place then i can proceed to nail and glue the track down.
Pike - You stupid boy!

Twitcherboo45

Postby Twitcherboo45 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:25 pm

After a hard days graft wiring up the layouts points and making all the layout live it seems that a stupid short has occured somewhere and im having trouble tracking it down, not somthing i could do with at this moment of time. Grrrr
Pike - You stupid boy!

Twitcherboo45

Postby Twitcherboo45 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:07 pm

After an evening and morning of head scratching i can up with the culprit, I'd simply forgot to put an insulated fish plate on one of the lines causing the short. After change the fishplate for the correct type the layout runs as sweet as a nut. All i need now i more track to finnish all the P-way work out.

P-Way train in action
Ivatt 2mt 46443 brings the first passenger train into Lowes hill
The P-way trains gets away while it can
46443 at rest
Pike - You stupid boy!

craw607

Postby craw607 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:55 pm

Glad you solved the problem and thingsnarebrunning well.
John

Twitcherboo45

Postby Twitcherboo45 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:55 pm

Just as you solve on problem another one occurs. If anyone can help me with this one id be gratefull. All the wiring for the track thats inplace has been wired in and now one of the points has decided that when you go over it in a certain way it stalls the loco yet when you throw over the road and go the other way then it works fine. ive replaced the point to try and eliminate the problem yet its still occuring :? Ive tryed running a loco over the point and put a temporary feed to it and it works, this is starting to boggle me so i think the best thing to do i perminently wire in a feed to that section of track and solve it that way.
Pike - You stupid boy!

Twitcherboo45

Postby Twitcherboo45 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:56 pm

Evening all,

Due to school work taking over, work on the layout has all but stopped. The little work that i have done on the layout has led to some changes to the track plan and position of some of the key items involved with a railway station. The station has changed to a single track platform on the top of the layout, this is because the curvatur on bay platform was to great for realistice operation, This will in turn be turned into a general siding or p-way stores. The other major change is the removal of the run around loop, this is again because of operational reasions, as there wasnt enough room in the fiddle yard to get a set of coachs and a loco in there to then put them back in the RR loop. Other minor changes will occur when i finally get round to working on the layout.

Pike - You stupid boy!

Twitcherboo45

Postby Twitcherboo45 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:55 pm

Evening all,

Just had a Eureka moment, for months now a certain point hasnt worked when placed in position so replaced it and the second did exactly the same. tryed temporay feeds to try and eliminate the problem and it kept shorting out so after looking threw the peco books about how to wire the layout and taking a wider look at the layout i realised what i have done. Because the layout is so compact some of the points are on top of each other causing there to be no power going to that point due to insulating fishplates, so all ive gotta do now is find a solution to the problem. (thinking cap is now on to find a solution)
Pike - You stupid boy!

Twitcherboo45

Postby Twitcherboo45 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:56 pm

At last, something i can report upon. Today whilst the sun was out and i had a spare couple of hours i thought id make the tunnel. So after a few hours something incredible happened, this is what followed.

Chris
Pike - You stupid boy!

manormadman

Postby manormadman » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:36 pm

looks great! love the Praire!
Cheers Seb
:D

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”