"PORT MOON" 11x7 OO BR late 80's - February 2018 Update

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
matt1471

"PORT MOON" 11x7 OO BR late 80's - February 2018 Update

Post by matt1471 »

The 6x4 has been going OK but I've now got some more space to use and I havent been entirely happy with the 6x4 - 3coach trains on a Class 44 on a station corner just doesnt work!!

I'm hoping to have a viaduct or bridge on the left hand side of the board, so a lower section across the 12" straight between the curves.

The rest of the board will be level so what is a good scenic way to come from the viaduct and upto working level???
Last edited by matt1471 on Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:01 pm, edited 14 times in total.
lairadepot

Re: 8x4 OO BR Blue

Post by lairadepot »

hi ya
i like the look of your track plan
so what is your layout going to be based on and what locos and rolling stcok are you going to be running and what era are you going to be basing the layout on
and will we get to see pics of your progress???
peter aka (laira depot)
matt1471

Post by matt1471 »

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your post!! Yup, I will be attempting to keep a photo diary of my progress. I've already got and started a 6x4 which I have decided to pull apart and scrap as I wasn't 100% happy with (and to be honest for what I want to fun 6x4 just wasn't big enough).

I'm going to keep the town scene as it is and just put in in the same place on the new layout.

Mainly BR Blue, I dont really know much about the history or anything like, but aiming for a 1980s feel about it. S

Current Loco Stock is
Bachmann Class 44
Bachmann Class 25
Bachmann Class 08
Mainline Class 03
Lima Class 20
Lima Class 37 (Working, but to be used as a scenic item)
Hornby Class 35 (White Windows)
Hornby Class 58 in Railfreight Livery
Hornby LNER Flying Scotsman with Teak Coaches

4x Mainline BR Mk1 Coaches
4x Bachmann China Clay Wagons
3x Various Dapol Vans
1x Bachmann Toad Brake Van
6x Hornby Shell Tankers
1x Lima CCT Parcels Van
Various other bits and pieces to fill sidings

Hoping to build new board tomorrow and start laying track!

Matt
craw607

Post by craw607 »

Hi Matt
That definitely looks a nice layout you are starting to build.
Will be good watching the progress.
John
lairadepot

Post by lairadepot »

hi matt
your layout looks fine from what we are seeing
but i will say you dont have much scope on modeling track wise with a 6x4 so do you have plans to extend it or are you stuck with that space for a railway???
peter (laira depot)
jamest

Post by jamest »

Hi Matt,

The pics above look good - Nice use of the scalescenes walls/arches I think! I assume that was when it was 6x4?

You can never have enough room but I managed to keep it down to 6x4 for my layout. I had a completely seperate upper level for a depot - but I think I remember you posting on my thread before so I assume you have already had a look?

All the best,
James
matt1471

Post by matt1471 »

Hi James,

Yeah, thats the old 6x4. I admire yours and some of my inspiration came from yours. I like yours alot, but I'm keen for running two trains separately and dont wanna go down the DCC route yet so double loop is still required.

Hopefully, the new 8x4 (although it measures nearer to 8x5) will be much better and allow for more realistic running.
gppsoftware

Post by gppsoftware »

Matt,

Just posting here to say that I've downloaded your layout diagram and I'll go through it for signalling and track layout for you.
Probably best to post here where you have your new design rather than on your old thread with the old design!

Also noted your comment "I'm hoping to have a viaduct or bridge on the left hand side of the board, so a lower section across the 12" straight between the curves."

If that is the case, you should remove the level crossing: ground slopes should not be steeper than 1 in 1 and a half (see my article here: http://www.mrol.com.au/Articles/Scenics ... dient.aspx) and if implemented, the level crossing would be down the slope! One or the other I'm afraid. Can't have a bridge instead of the level crossing if you've got an under-bridge under the track as the terrain will all end up being too steep and look really odd.

Graham Plowman
matt1471

Post by matt1471 »

Well 2011 has begun and much has changed!! I've been rubbish at keeping updates so unfortunately there is going to be a big jump from the last thread to the most recent!

Pictures will follow tomorrow, however all my track has been laid and short of 5 points, all motorised, wired and working!!
Track electrics complete and despite using a twin DC controller, I can successfully run upto 6 trains across 2 loops at the moment to keep things moving and looking realistic.

Had some great Xmas present including a New Bachmann Mk1 Dining Car in Maroon and several new Metcalfe kits including their new Factory building which I'm very pleased with!!

Just awaiting to take arrival now of a new ViTrains class 37 - Its in Coal Freight livery which is a shame, but I don't think its going to hurt to much to have some post-modernisation stuff. This will be hauling a rake of 5 new HSA Wagons kindly purchased from Pedro32 just after Xmas.

Treated myself to a new Bachmann Class 03 as well!! :D
So...all in all, spent lots and now achieved a well stocked, reliable and practical layout to enjoy.

Pics will follow and I look forward to you comments!
Matt
matt1471

Re: 8x5 OO BR late 80's ish

Post by matt1471 »

Well, long awaited it has been and I have finally taken my first snaps for 2011!! My photography skills need improving, but I'll think I'll get my other half to take them in future.

Anyway, here's a few to get the palette wet!!

matt1471

Re: 8x5 OO BR late 80's ish - NOW WITH PICS!

Post by matt1471 »

Comments anyone?! :(
BluePullman21

Post by BluePullman21 »

matt1471 wrote: Image
Love this picture :) . The weathering on the loco and the graffiti on the bridge looks great :wink:

Regards,
William
BluePullman21

Post by BluePullman21 »

Double-post.
Stewart Gethin

Post by Stewart Gethin »

Hey there,
Looks like a great start you have got to with your new 8 by 4 layout,

Could we have a couple of pictures of the incline to the top level? or doesn't this exist?
Perhaps before you start scenics around the pylons, you may want to turn them around a bit so it looks more realistic. :)

Just a couple of suggestions.

Stew.
dubbleojon

Post by dubbleojon »

I agree, looks great, and the extra space really makes a difference, lots more room for scenics.
Look forward to seeing your progress.