"PORT MOON" 11x7 OO BR late 80's - February 2018 Update

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
mikem64

Re: 8x5 OO BR late 80's ish - NOW WITH PICS!

Postby mikem64 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:01 pm

Hi Matt,

Layout is looking great, it's got that feel about it which says it's going to be one great fun layout.

Look forward to more pics coming soon.

Thank you,

Mike.
Wordsworth Model Railway Free Downloadable Card Kits can be found at here
http://www.wordsworthmodelrailway.co.uk
The Wordsworth Model Railway Photo Album
https://michael-martin.imgbb.com/

matt1471

Re: 8x5 OO BR late 80's - Feb 2011 Pics update

Postby matt1471 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:09 pm

Thanks for the comments guys!! Really appreciate it!!

I like the Class 20 coming through the tunnel as well. Bachmann factory weathering and the graffiti is again original from Scalescenes kits, which I'm impressed with, although do take up alot of time making!! Should look good with the signal working soon and some scenery work. Just ordering ballast now in preparation for the next BIG project.

Still finishing off testing and wiring up the Point motors and starting the signalling system. Pretty much prototypical(ish) in that they work in sequence to one another via relays and PM switches.

As for the pylons, they're not fixed yet. Just put down roughly where they'll stay. Going to thread nylon through them to represent the cables which I think will look pretty smart!

Matt
Last edited by matt1471 on Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

craw607

Postby craw607 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:30 pm

The new layout definitely looks good and plenty more space for scenery or what you wish.
John

matt1471

Postby matt1471 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:22 pm

Hi Guys,

Yet again my ability to put updates on has failed despite me logging onto NRM DAILY!!

Anyway, I dont think much has changed really since last time. Have been continuing the wiring of Point Motors and the use of multi-core looms to join the 2 boards together....that it now completed and out of 26points, had one short between a pair and one had to be replaced...which I didnt think was to bad.

Carrying on with the signalling as well which has caused me a headache or 2 but is nearly reached completion with only one more to do on the mainline before putting in a couple of shunt signals which are easy as they come straight off the back of the PM1.

My biggest headache though has been the weathering and ballasting of the track. I'm using JAVIS extra fine chippings recommend to me by my father-in-law and having completed the 'upper' section I proceeded to weather, quite heavily, with Railmatch Sleeper Grime spray, which for me has made the whole lot look rather dark for my liking.

So I realised that spraying the ballast as well is not my preferred techique, so sprayed the track first. This has worked OK, although not really keen on it for some reason.

Having sprayed the track and cleaned and tested the running again I have proceeded to ballast said weathered track area and after using the usual 50/50pva water and drop of fairy AND misting the ballast first have ended up with a slighty green tinged ballast which at this time.....I'm not sure of either.

So, I've taken two samples of ballast - Woodland Scenics and Javis Extra Fine Granite chippings and have glued them both to be left overnight and during tomoz to see which comes out best and which I prefer.

All in all....a slighty frustrating situation to be as I was really happy with the layout and its progress however now just a little unsure of where I stand. :cry:

matt1471

Postby matt1471 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:33 pm

Manage to spend some more time today after having to replace the front coil spring on my car...not a fun job on the driveway in the rain as well!! :evil:

Anyway, have finally taken some pics to keep your guys (and girls) interested in my progress. After my ballast experiment I've decided to go with the Woodland scenics, however after completing the station area think I prefer the Javis!! GRRR Gonna stick with it and go from there.

Anyway, here's some pics!
My newest addition - Vi Trains Class 37!! Very pleased with this although the overall build quality shows in comparison to Bachmann models, but it's a lovely runner!

The 'Upper' section which I weathered after I ballasted....it wanted it to be a dirty grimy area so I guess it suits.

My favourite area - Goods Depot and Factory currently holding my parcels service and Bachmann Class 25!

View down the station area after weathering

View of the points where Having used Javis ballasted has gone an interesting shade of green!!

Another favourite and successful project....working signal gantry!!

And the first completed modelled area (still needs people and trees) which was made by my other half!!

Comments and suggestions welcome!! Will keep you posted!

matt1471

Postby matt1471 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:34 pm

Duplicate post in error.
Last edited by matt1471 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Durseytu
Location: Trying to make progress on the layout... pigs will fly (hohoho)

Postby Durseytu » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:49 pm

Wow this looks really good! :D I love the gantry with the working signals too! I've recently dabbled with light signals on my layout too (my what a lot of wiring).

What on earth happened to the Gresley teak on the upper level? Looks like its been in an 'accident'. :?

Cheers,

Stuart.
ImageImage

matt1471

Postby matt1471 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:51 pm

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for your comments!! I'm really pleased with the signal gantry to!! Cannibalized 4 signals for it and some of the wires just fit through the baseboard to be wired up. All 4 signals work either via manual switch or over-riden depending on the relevant point/route set.

The Gresley teak meet my white fluffy friend seen in the previous photo's and they didn't get on to well....thats what started the scrap yard idea!

Matt

Foo

Postby Foo » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:39 am

matt1471 wrote:And the first completed modelled area (still needs people and trees) which was made by my other half!!

Comments and suggestions welcome!! Will keep you posted!

is tht the scale scenes church? ive got it printed off just waiting for the motivation to make ll 100+ steps of it lol.. looking good so far tho :D

Stewart Gethin

Postby Stewart Gethin » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:44 am

Hi Matt, Great work going on here, You'll soon catch up with me at this rate! Like that signal gantry.

Foo, I believe that is the metcalfe church. Goodluck with the scalescenes one.

;)

Keep it up.

Stew.
Please take a look at both my layouts:
My layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28240
My 5" Gauge layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=29058

matt1471

Postby matt1471 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:40 pm

Another week has passed and some more progress has occurred!! :o I'm very pleased with everything at the mo including the addition of a small Cattle Dock at the end of the outer loop before the station.

I have also started the ballasting as well using Woodland Scenics Medium Grey Ballast - Pleased with the overall look. Added some Woodland Scenics Brown Course Ballast which I think looks a lot better, and personally the size seems real. I'll let you decide.

taytrain

Postby taytrain » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:15 pm

nice work, coming along nicely

matt1471

Re: 8x5 OO BR late 80's ish - Updated 22/02/11

Postby matt1471 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:54 pm

Become a little camera happy I'm afraid!! I'm just pleased with my progress and want to share it with other like minded people!! Hope you enjoy and I look forward to any comments or suggestions!!

Thanks

Overall views of the layout

Station Area, Parcels Depot and TMD

Goods Depot/Works Area

Church - Now Complete!

Cattle Dock is coming along nicely now - Thanks to the G/F!

and 30minutes later

Bachmann Class 25 waiting at the station

Hope you enjoy!!

dubbleojon

Postby dubbleojon » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:06 pm

great progress, good to see lots of photos too. Great action shot of the hoovering too :wink:

What are the orange wires between the tracks?

matt1471

Postby matt1471 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:24 pm

Thanks doubleojohn!! Gotta keep the railway room tidy!!

The orange wires serve no electrical purpose other than scenic conduit beneath the tracks!!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”