hedgefordpete,s new,again 00 layout.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
hedgefordpete

hedgefordpete,s new,again 00 layout.

Postby hedgefordpete » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:53 pm

hi everybody,,a crisis,in the shape of my wife who claims that i have been having to much of my own way of late.....i am having to uplift my 00 layout from the garden shed and move into the loft. might be a good thing to start again from scratch....part of the pleasure is in the planning. so to make a start i have fitted floor boarding down the centre of the loft with temperary lighting. the base of the layout is at set at a hight that is comfortable while sitting on a computer swivel chair.the main up and down lines with a through station will allow for a larger shunting area. a new layout can only be an improvement on the last.i may need a chair lift soon to get into the loft...no photo,s as the computer is not playing ball. i am looking at different web sites to manage all my photo,s my best regards , pete.

craw607

Re: hedgefordpete,s new,again 00 layout.

Postby craw607 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:11 pm

This may sound silly but I presume the trusses will be able to support any extra weight.
I myself do not have a loft layout but have read in forums that it maybe a problem.
Sorry if I sound like a damp squib.
John

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:31 pm

Before committing yourself to the loft make sure you have enough headroom over the operating area. I could only stand upright in the very centre of the loft. In the end I gave up and came down into the house. The loft gave me a continual ache in the neck.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

hedgefordpete

Postby hedgefordpete » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:40 am

thankyou for the replies, we recently moved into my father in laws bungalow after he passed away, a lot of work as been carried out on the central heating and the loft is completly empty of tanks and pipework. the new insulation is fittet as is the floor boarding down the centre which as the height for me to walk upright.the layout will be 3ft high around the walkway and will not carry much weight in any one place..the only problem i can see is that at the age of 70 how long will i be able to climb the steps up into the loft. my wife recons that i can stay up there and she will pass up food for me.....well back to the planning..... best regards. pete

hedgefordpete

Postby hedgefordpete » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:15 pm

hi everybody , progress so for with my lofthouse layout. all the baseboards are fixed. electrics tested on track that is laid. more track on order. deckchair in place. in fact it is very comfortable. as you can see photobucket is playing the game again, i had lost the plot for a time.... my best regards pete.

craw607

Postby craw607 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:43 pm

Looks like you're making steady progress with the new layout.
Have you taken up your wifes suggestion of staying in loft.
John

hedgefordpete

Postby hedgefordpete » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:37 am

hi john, my sister in law comes to stay today and it will be like i am married to the two of them.....so i will stay in the loft and stay out of trouble.....pete.

hedgefordpete

Postby hedgefordpete » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:12 pm

hi everybody, the new layout in the loft as a name, first time my layouts have had a name, [ LOFTHOUSE ] . the base board and electrics are complete after some alterations to the sidings and engine sheds.
paintwork in progress . the station will have three long platforms, do i buy ready made clip together or should i attempt a diy job? my wife has band me from diy in the house so i would be taking a risk on the layout.off on a rail tour on saturday so time for a look at the real thing and to give it some thought. regards pete.

lairadepot

Postby lairadepot » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:28 pm

hi ya
nice start to your layout and hows things going in the loft
i know from experience how much of a pain loft beams can be and i must say your brave having a swivel chair too
how have you gopt your power supply up to the loft??
peter

hedgefordpete

Postby hedgefordpete » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:23 am

hi peter, the electrics into the loft were fitted after finding the outside security lights had been wired via the shower and kitchen loom??????? the one end of the layout will have to be removed in february 2011 so that the builder can get around when fitting a new bathroom.the station , crossover points and controls are on one side of the layout and the engine sheds ect will be on the other, the swivel chair allows a quick slide from one side to the other.being a short a------ i have no problem under the rafters,and being an ex miner i am used to keeping my head down. my mate is a 6ft ex engine driver and he has to duck.
best regards pete. :P

lairadepot

Postby lairadepot » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:35 am

hi ya mate
sounds like you have got it all worked out
peter

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:50 pm

Hi Peter

I hope you survived the visit & stay of your sister-in-law!Now there's a good reason to stay in the loft a bit longer. haha
Your loft looks very similar to mine, with a layout through the trusses. You seem to be coping with it ok. I was also thinking of putting an office chair in the centre because I thought it would be easier to rotate and spin around - trying to avoid falling down the loft hatch though!
Keep us posted with the photos.

Dave
My layouts (in progress):
Image and Image

hedgefordpete

Postby hedgefordpete » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:27 pm

hi everybody, thanks for the comments of my lofthouse layout,the track is completed.the slow process of buildings and scenery will start in 2011.
the first two photos show the proposed engine stabling yard.
the rest of the photos are veiws of the layout after all the plan alterations have been completed.
i hope you all had a good christmas with plenty of add ons to your layouts.
best wishes and good modelling for 2011. pete.

craw607

Postby craw607 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:52 pm

Hi pete
That's a good lot of work to the layout.
So the sister-in-law staying had a silver lining after all.
Looking forward to when you start the scenic work.
All the best for 2011
John

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”