Minimal 00 - Longer Trains! P11.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
thebritfarmer

Re: Minimal 00 - Cont'd! Or DISCont'd.

Postby thebritfarmer » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:29 pm

You can't give up on it!! Your layout looks great and I think you are doing a grand job.
All Aboooooard !!

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:50 pm

Seconded, you're doing a great job with it. Get everything you can out of the model before you decide to move on. Don't worry about ballasted track. The plastic used is just about resistant to any glue that you are likely to use in ballasting. The glue sticks the ballast to itself and the baseboard. When you lift the track some ballast will be stuck between the sleepers but most of it will stay on the baseboard. A stiff brush removes it from between the sleepers. A metal scraper usually removes anything stuck to the board.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

manna

Postby manna » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:01 pm

G'Day Gents

Now that IS a great pity ! you make great use of your 'Minimal' space and the goods shed cut down and used as a backscene, is brilliant, I for one are going to miss this layout.

manna

PS. you could try some snail bait :wink:
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:34 pm

Be a shame if you do give up ..... remember if you
have snails in your only available space they'll slide
over anything you make/buy. Just start a salt mine
with spillage all around the layout edges - solve your
problem methinks !!

I think for a first shot this was coming along very well.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

whynot

Postby whynot » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:27 pm

Thanks for the encouraging words, chaps. Having spent a couple of days thinking and a few hours browsing thinterweb, I can't actually come up with anything more suited to my space(s) and likes than what I have (except maybe a wholesale switch to N, but I find 00 small enough for my fingers and eyesight). I can't see what better I could fit in (2) 5' x 15" - and I DID consider '00s of potential plans before I started - that would run even short trains a short distance. And they will fit - with a c. 5' "link" in the small bedroom which might be free shortly (it's the adult daughter's room, always kept available for economic disasters - but she's planning on marrying soon and will be living in Switzerland AND buying a flat in London).

So....I shall modify the boards to allow proper full enclosure and simultaneously add 3" width which will permit what I feel is some much needed depth beyond the rearmost tracks. Ply off-cuts at 2 quid a throw for 8' x 16" and some re-cycled 2"x1" timber from the back of the garage should do the job. And for now the card buildings etc are all indoors (the creatures of the dark attacked my new station building last night!!).

OK onwards and downwards....
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:52 pm

Don't forget to base in Cheshire, buy a few 'salt' wagons.
Load & spill the stuff just off the boards ..................

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

manna

Postby manna » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:02 pm

G'Day Gents

Hooray :lol:

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

whynot

Postby whynot » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:37 am

Thanks chaps!

Small refinement. Rather than re-jig an already hacked about board(s), which were always meant to be temporary while I figured out whether or not I'd take to the hobby. I shall build new. 5' x 18" in 5.5mm ply and 15mm sq framing for the sides - not sure yet about top thickness. Double thickness ply, spaced with the 15mm. to base height and single, braced, thickness extending upwards to make the "box" outline at rear and sides. Material cost per board should be £4 if I stay with 5.5mm for the top - an extra fiver if I decide the latter needs to be 9mm.

Comments welcome!

And salt on the shopping list (that way I don't have to pay for it!).
dave j
Works End 0 16.5

whynot

Postby whynot » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:51 am

OK so I'm lazy....a new top cover a necessity. Meant new back and end boards, so I've added 3" to rear of one of the existing (the other will follow in a week or two). Doesn't sound much (let's ignore the thespians and clergy jokes), but it's a 20% increase in area! I think having even a little depth between rear tracks and the end of the world will be a visible improvement and allow some ultra-low relief.

dave j
Works End 0 16.5

whynot

Postby whynot » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:52 am

Low relief and cheap trees make a start in the "extra" 3" development site....

dave j
Works End 0 16.5

whynot

Postby whynot » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:12 pm

I'm developing an unfortunate taste for bigger locos - will HAVE to do something about moving into the garage...

Grange and 28xx:

28xx is about half a platform length!

Little and large...

dave j
Works End 0 16.5

whynot

Re: Minimal 00 - Cont'd! Back on Track!

Postby whynot » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:41 pm

Self explanatory - "deepening" the extra 3"!

dave j
Works End 0 16.5

lost track

Postby lost track » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:42 pm

Hi Whynot :D

I have been reading through your thread and enjoying the pictures. Great progress mate. I had a few wobbly moments with my layout, at one point I stripped everything off the first section "The station" after several months work and started again. It is now just over two years since I began the layout and I am still plodding away at it. :D

I sold my collection of 2000ad comics on ebay, and occasionally the odd repaired loco or weathered item of rolling stock in order to fund new material for my layout. I am also always on the lookout for useful items, just the other day I spotted some hanging basket liners in a shop, they seem to work well covering the hills I made from balled up newspaper and newspaper strips. It's all good fun, not sure what I will do when it is all finished :| but then I doubt if that will be any time soon. :lol:

Keep up the good work, I am looking forward to your continued progress.

thebritfarmer

Postby thebritfarmer » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:18 pm

Thanks for the updates, very effective.Did you use a photo you already had?
All Aboooooard !!

whynot

Postby whynot » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:55 am

Thank you both for the kind words!

Yes, 'britfarmer, I had the photo. It's a late-medieval street in Dinan (the loveliest French town I've visited - must have passed within 50 miles of it a dozen times over 35 years before chancing upon it 3 years ago!). Fits nicely between the "Dorset" stone buildings (cheap as chips off the ebay - and fronts and rears can be mixed for half- and low-relief which makes them a real bargain!).

A trawl through our holiday snaps from last 5-6 years should allow me the amusement of adding bits of all sorts of countries - tho' I'll probably struggle to show The Nile...

"Economy" is the watchword for a few months at least - '000s of quids aboput to go on rebuilding the crumbling inner gable on the house. Ah, the joys of home ownership.
dave j
Works End 0 16.5

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”