Minimal 00 - Longer Trains! P11.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
whynot

Re: Minimal 00 - Cont'd!

Postby whynot » Sun May 29, 2011 4:22 pm

Good paint tip, John - thanks! And cheap enough. Taking my time and having "problems" to solve is very much part of the reason for commencing the project - something to do! Keeps the ingenuity levels up. Simply to buy ready-made stuff defeats the purpose really, irrespective of cost.

Thanks for reply. dave j
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

whynot

Postby whynot » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:00 pm

Some scalescenes papers starts to fill some gaps! All just on scrap card inlays (will probably all have to be lifted and come indoors for the winter!).

dave j
Works End 0 16.5

whynot

Postby whynot » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:11 am

Spent a couple of hours lifting and relaying track on "non-station" board (removing a dozen veneer pins easy enough!). As it doesn't fool the only viewer (me) decided "hidden sidings" pointless - so it'll just be a shunting yard/storage area. Moved the front headshunt to serve two sidings (had to add a feed into the now-facing points), slightly lengthened sidings and added an extra isolated end.

Fiddle yard, yes, sort of, but I don't handle the stock - all moved around by locos. Two stations really now - and ultimately to be 5' - 6' "apart" rather than current 10"! About as much operation as possible in 2x5' boards, I THINK!

dave j
Works End 0 16.5

tractor37

Postby tractor37 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:23 am

Hi there Whynot.. Taking shape nicely now pal. Ingenious use of money seems to be the key I noticed. Can relate to that lately. As for the scouring pads for grass, im sure you must have some hanging basket liner kicking about, cheap and much more realistic me thinks. Just glue it down and when dry rip the backing off it and trim to length. I'm sure you'd love the effect and the miniaml cost. goes a very long way indeed!!!
Keep up the good work tho...
Jas :D

whynot

Postby whynot » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:00 am

Thank you! The money-thing is not simply a lack of it - little point in "investing" until I get a better idea of what I want/need. So, all track easily lifted rather than glued and ballasted until I figure out what needs to be where - which only comes when I run it. The recent alterations thus wasted nothing.

The printed "yard" surfaces would be much better in embossed plastikard - but trying out the effect in paper first costs next to nowt and can be removed with complete ease.

I keep meaning to try the glue down and rip and trim grass method - but again I don't want to do it direct to the board for now. Couple of planter liners next time I'm in Wilkos or a £Shop I think!

At least my track laying seems OK - the Pugs waddle through the condensed point work quite happily.

Paint on the visible rail sides and sleepers next I reckon...
dave j
Works End 0 16.5

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:33 pm

whynot wrote:

I keep meaning to try the glue down and rip and trim grass method - but again I don't want to do it direct to the board for now. Couple of planter liners next time I'm in Wilkos or a £Shop I think!

Looking good why dont you try sicking the grass to some surdy card cut t the required shape.... this could then be held on the board with some strategically placed pins or some double sided tape
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

whynot

Postby whynot » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:32 pm

"Looking good why dont you try sicking the grass to some surdy card cut t the required shape.... this could then be held on the board with some strategically placed pins or some double sided tape"

My thinking precisely!That's the method I've used for both track base (thick card and ballast mat) and the individual "ground" inserts, like the yard surfaces.

Thanks for the interest.
dave j
Works End 0 16.5

whynot

Postby whynot » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:39 pm

Sleepers toned down, rail sides inexpertly painted - but still does improve the look - and the Crab gets a rare run out to check platform clearances!

dave j
Works End 0 16.5

whynot

Postby whynot » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:33 pm

However crude the construction, I think that fences & walls make an enormous difference to the overall "representation" - and that is all I attempt! England in general is a country (and town!) of walled and hedged boundaries for all sorts of historical reasons - more so than most places I've visited. And railways here have always been fenced off, again unlike many countries. And there are usually lots of variations even in a small area, so I've been playing with the cheap n cheerful...

dave j
Works End 0 16.5

tractor37

Postby tractor37 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:39 pm

Is that a fence made out of matches I see there? Looking quite effective indeed. May have to utilise said fence construction upon Hood-dale somewhere methinks... :D

whynot

Postby whynot » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:55 pm

All THREE varieties involve matchsticks to a greater or lesser extent! The "all matchstick" one is a cheat - I'm only bothered for now about the front view, so they are glued on to a thin card backing in groups of 7 (or whatever number suits!) with the posts fixed on to the face of the horizontals. Just quicker and easier mass production.

The "brick" wall is just 'sticks on card then covered. I'm quite pleased with the wire fence - alu car body filling mesh. I took the tip from someone on here - sorry I can't recall who - it's dirt cheap and MATCHSTICKS super glue onto it easily enough!
dave j
Works End 0 16.5

tractor37

Postby tractor37 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:59 pm

I have a good deal of the mesh fencing on mine made from the same method as I believe you have looked at my post a few times. I like the rows of matches tho,looks just like a sleeper built retaining wall in a way. I like your method to, good cheat to help it along quickly! :D

whynot

Postby whynot » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:54 pm

I've just looked again at Hood-dale - it really is very nice. The numerous small cameos make such a difference. Not sure what I'd do with so much space - probably just be too indecisive ever to begin!
dave j
Works End 0 16.5

tractor37

Postby tractor37 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:05 pm

Why thank you. Glad you approve. Hopefully I'll be back on with it shortly and have some more updates to show you all. It is a lot of space but it keeps me entertained as I can just jump around and do a bit where ever i feel like, hence loads of unfinished parts!!! :shock:

whynot

Postby whynot » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:02 pm

A first attempt at ground cover and bumpy stuff:

And that damn surrealist fence contractor's back again....

dave j
Works End 0 16.5

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”