Nembrington Park - Mid 80s BR Blue 10' x 3' N gauge

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Dale_the_noob

Re: Nembrington Park - Mid 80s BR Blue 10' x 3' N gauge

Postby Dale_the_noob » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:57 pm

There will be a large bridge over the platforms with the station building, road, bus stops and taxi rank on. This should cover up the corner. The idea is the platforms are longer, but just hidden off layout. So a HST will stop at the station as if the platforms were full length.

bigbob

Postby bigbob » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:41 pm

Looking good Dale, i like it. Will be keeping an eye on this one as long as it doesn`t get hijacked like every other layout thread by someone banging on about why you`re not running a fleet of 50`s :roll:

Good luck with it mate.

Bob
Growing old is compulsary, growing up is optional!

ALL CLASS 50`S SHOULD BE CUT UP INTO SMALL PIECES AND USED FOR SOMETHING MORE USEFUL LIKE A PAPER-WEIGHT

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:52 am

Wow :shock: seeing it laid out like that with the locos and HST on you really get a sense of the scale of this layout! Looking forward to seeing this one progress. Where is this layout going to be? That looks like a large room you have it in.

Dale_the_noob

Postby Dale_the_noob » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:03 pm

I have a loft that is only 4ft high and about 6ft wide. I do have a large shed which I was going to use for the layout, but didn't want to use it after reading people's probelms with heat/cold/humidity etc. and warping of the layout.

I'm lucky that I work for a family business and we have a rather large room that isn't used for work at all. Currently there is a surround sound system with a 6ft wide projector, a cross trainer and now my layout. It means the layout will be in a nice warm environment and safe from any elements, bugs, animals etc.

My office is in the room next door, so I will have to try and resist the building during the day and the LAH (lady at home) has "allowed" me an evening a week to work on the layout. THis sounds like not a lot, but I can do planning etc. during the day/weeks at work and do the actual work in that evening. I've also gone for the easier DCC option (I didn't want to be creating Isolating sections in the engine and DMU shed) rather than DC which should make it easier to wire up, the point motors I'm going with are DCC aswell so the wiring should be quite easy compared to what it could of been. I will be able to build buildings etc. at home as long as the little ones don't get hold of the bits.

Dale_the_noob

Postby Dale_the_noob » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:17 pm

Yay! I picked up my metre long mu shed and my smaller engine shed.

One minor problem is I under estimated the space between the rails in the sheds and need to redesign the whole yard. It will all fit in, just take up more depth.

Photos will be up in the morning.

DonB

Postby DonB » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:31 am

This looks like it is going to be another quality N gauge layout... :shock:

Love the trackplan, loads of operational interest there!
Looking forward to watching it develop... And yes, plenty of photos please! :D

Don
Don

My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?t=14899

Stewart Gethin

Postby Stewart Gethin » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:22 am

I find it amazing how much you can fit into 3" width in N gauge.
Can't wait to see this develope and that DMU shed sounds impressive.
You've got a very nice collection of stock.
Thanks, Stew.
Please take a look at both my layouts:
My layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28240
My 5" Gauge layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=29058

Tank

Postby Tank » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:04 am

A very extensively planned layout! I'm too impatient to plan and print all that. :lol:

A great lot of stock there. And you've just beaten me by 1 set of NSE 159's (I have 3)! :D
N Gauge Ministry of Defence Depot:- Click Here
Old layout - New SouthEaston (now sold!) - Click Here
http://www.NGaugeForum.co.uk

Dale_the_noob

Postby Dale_the_noob » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:12 am

Photos as promised...

All buildings were custom made for me by Jeff (http://shop.ebay.co.uk/jeff0052/m.html). Great detail, just a few little bits maybe to finish off (mainly weathering). I asked for the roof to be removable on each item, so I can see whats inside, I may add lighting and detaling inside, but not sure yet, see how brave I feel.

3 road through loco shed, should hold 9 or so locos inside or 12 if you let them stick out either end. Has some office/workshops on the side of the building with various doors, shutters and windows.

The 159 fleet lined up in the DMU shed - I love the finish on the roller shutters

End on shot, showing all the posters, doors, shutters etc.

Slight error in terms of width...

I will need to work the whole yard around, move the scenic break and the branch fiddle yard back to get the extra space. It should be do able, just need to curve the track around more. to go around the DMU shed.

Tank

Postby Tank » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:27 pm

Cracking shed. I've got some buildings he's made, and they're all brilliantly made, and very solid. The 159's look brilliant lined up. Will this be a DCC layout - judging by the length of the shed? Or maybe you've said already and I've missed it. I converted one of my 159's into a dummy so I can have a 6 car set, but my new layout will be DCC, so I'll reinstall the motorised chassis.
N Gauge Ministry of Defence Depot:- Click Here
Old layout - New SouthEaston (now sold!) - Click Here
http://www.NGaugeForum.co.uk

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:41 pm

Your shed is a real scene-setter. It looks massive (what length train does it hold?) - but it doesn't look like it will dominate the layout (unless you want it to of course!)

I really like the last two photos ... there's something about a row of identical units all lined up like that and raring to go that gets me every time :)

NSE DAZ

Postby NSE DAZ » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:41 pm

WOW cracking fleet you have there 8)

Love that loco shed :P it is amazing what you can achieve in N 8)

Keep up the good work and updates

Darren NSE DAZ
Unleashing the toothpaste livery!!!Thank you for travelling Network SouthEast

Dale_the_noob

Postby Dale_the_noob » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:08 pm

Tank - Full DCC with a sprog 2 controller, will be DCC for everything using the Traintronic DCC points and PC control. I've got 3 powered 3 car 159s and 1 dummy 3 car 159. I have a mixed fleet of 101s - 3 cars and 2 cars, powered and dummy in NSE and Blue Grey. The shed holds 2 3 car 159 sets per road, so it will be nice and full.

Southernboy - I love the look of the units, they look a bit old/undetailed close up so I may have to see if I can do anything about that. The DMU shed will hold 6 159 cars per road and 4 roads, so should swallow my fleet (unless i add to the fleet). The engine sheds sidings have been redone again and should hold even more locos

I spent 4 hours in anyrail last night updating the plan so that the new buildings fit in the plan - it was rather hard fitting it in the limited length but getting it so it didn't look shoe horned in and that there is space around things

I've also changed the throat of the station to make it flow better and allow the through trains to run at full speed and changed the fuelling area to have a run around.

I'm not sure on the sidings on the left, I will need to think about the scenary and have a play...

Click on plan for a larger version

After the changes due to the building, I'm going to start on the scenic parts of the plan, getting buildings etc. while it is in paper form so I can see if it will fit. Card will become my best friend. :lol:

small358786

Postby small358786 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:21 pm

Stilll looking really good and that amount of space is a sight to behold :D
I have "spoken" to that same person about doing me some custom made buildings for my layout as well.

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:14 pm

I was following your updates on RMW too - this is all looking very promising :)

My best advice?
Don't rush anything... take your time :)

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”