Cwm Lydia Railway

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
ceejaydee

Re: Pedanticmongrel's New O Gauge Layout

Postby ceejaydee » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:29 pm

Now that 56xx looks like a serious workhorse.
What radius curves are you using Dan?
Regards
Christopher D.

Pedanticmongrel

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:46 pm

ceejaydee wrote:Now that 56xx looks like a serious workhorse.
What radius curves are you using Dan?

due to space limitations the tightest bits are around 5ft radius, the 56xx makes it around okay, only just, the Castle puts up a fight and may be unable to be run at home, but then again it's a bit big for the layout anyway, everything else is fine with it, especcially the 78xxx and the 1361 which glide around effortlessly.

I've now completed a full oval of track around the loft and i ran a few trains, as the Lenz System isn't in stock atm I haven't yet got it so I had to run things on DC so no sound, here is a short clip of a freight i put together to test out the track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq6R3uay6Bc
I'm back and now I model in 'Strain your eyes gauge'...

tom92240

Postby tom92240 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:26 pm

Wagon update:

All the following are complete pending lettering:

Pedanticmongrel

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:42 pm

Just been running the 56xx, so more photos!

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:14 am

My oh my,

Just so much better looking than '00', just wish I had the space (and money) to have a decent '0' layout.
This is going to be something rather special. Strange how a short local goods in '00' looks wrong, yet even without any scenery this just feels right.
I hope we now have years of watching this develop.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

jack richards

Postby jack richards » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:31 am

Dad-1 wrote:My oh my,

Just so much better looking than '00', just wish I had the space (and money) to have a decent '0' layout.
This is going to be something rather special. Strange how a short local goods in '00' looks wrong, yet even without any scenery this just feels right.
I hope we now have years of watching this develop.

Geoff T.

That is so true with 0 guage it has the sense of the mass like the real thing. Same probelm for me to space and money!!

This is going to be an excellent layout thank you for posting.

Jack

ceejaydee

Postby ceejaydee » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:42 am

Just so much better looking than '00', just wish I had the space (and money) to have a decent '0' layout

I think that to a degree the space and money thing is all relative....
A model railway in a given space will cost more or less the same regardless of gauge/scale..
The larger the scale the more each individual item costs but the less you need hence the perception of more expense.

A decent OO DCC sound loco costs well in excess of £100 these days but how many of buy one and are then looking for the next.... soon you'll have four or five and have spent £500 or more; to spend £500 on an O Gauge loco seems obscene as it i a lot of money in one hit but again it is the perception of cost.

A Slater's or Parkside O gauge wagon kit is £25 - £30 but that is only one and a bit Hornby Seacows at £18 a throw or two and a bit Parkside OO kits at £8 - £10 a throw...

Think you can't afford a bigger scale then tot up the cost of your OO or N gauge collection and see how much you have actually spent.....

I'm not going to deny that to maybe get the layout you really want in O will need a lot of space and each to their own but compromise is necessary in any model railway unless you are maybe Pete Waterman and have a barn in which to house your layout..... no read his book "Just Like the Real Thing" and you'll see just how much work goes into a large layout and even then compromises had to be made.
I loved his comment on DCC for collectors of locos rather than people who run their locos :twisted:

Consider this..... Three N gauge Peco Collet goods locos or one O Gauge Tower 1361.... makes you think doesn't it :wink:

The more I see that 56xx the more I like it :P

Disclaimer - These are just my comments and opinions and are not meant to be judgemental or cause offence to those who do not model or wish to model in O gauge.... :?
Regards
Christopher D.

Pedanticmongrel

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:03 pm

ceejaydee wrote:

Just so much better looking than '00', just wish I had the space (and money) to have a decent '0' layout

I think that to a degree the space and money thing is all relative....
A model railway in a given space will cost more or less the same regardless of gauge/scale..
The larger the scale the more each individual item costs but the less you need hence the perception of more expense.

A decent OO DCC sound loco costs well in excess of £100 these days but how many of buy one and are then looking for the next.... soon you'll have four or five and have spent £500 or more; to spend £500 on an O Gauge loco seems obscene as it i a lot of money in one hit but again it is the perception of cost.

A Slater's or Parkside O gauge wagon kit is £25 - £30 but that is only one and a bit Hornby Seacows at £18 a throw or two and a bit Parkside OO kits at £8 - £10 a throw...

Think you can't afford a bigger scale then tot up the cost of your OO or N gauge collection and see how much you have actually spent.....

I'm not going to deny that to maybe get the layout you really want in O will need a lot of space and each to their own but compromise is necessary in any model railway unless you are maybe Pete Waterman and have a barn in which to house your layout..... no read his book "Just Like the Real Thing" and you'll see just how much work goes into a large layout and even then compromises had to be made.
I loved his comment on DCC for collectors of locos rather than people who run their locos :twisted:

Consider this..... Three N gauge Peco Collet goods locos or one O Gauge Tower 1361.... makes you think doesn't it :wink:

The more I see that 56xx the more I like it :P

Disclaimer - These are just my comments and opinions and are not meant to be judgemental or cause offence to those who do not model or wish to model in O gauge.... :?

One thing that puts it in perspective is you were saying abaout parkside kits, in 00 £10 ish in O £25-£30, so upto 3 times the price for 8 times the volume.

Pedanticmongrel

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:33 am

3205, 5043 and the wagons went away to West Lulworth this weekend, photos and hopefully soon video links on the "on tour" thread http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=28746&p=367616#p367616

Pedanticmongrel

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:56 pm

the first building on the new layout is under construction, and as it's so big it's having to be build more or less on site, it is an engine shed made from 2x heljan kits put together, all the side walls have been put together and glued waiting on the glue to set before adding the roof, to get the spacing right tracks had to be laid so all the locos have been put in there to get an idea of the capacity, looks like i have a lot of pace left but with an engine away and another on order it may just fill the shed, which sounds reasonable then you remember the shed is over 140cm long!
here are some photos:

ceejaydee

Postby ceejaydee » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:27 pm

That is a pretty mouthwatering sight 8)
Those Heljan O Gauge kits are tasty but it will take a few tins of Humbrol to paint!

Are you going to detail the shed interior and install pits etc. ?
I'd love to do a large scale shed scene complete with workshop, tools, stores etc...... :wink:
Regards
Christopher D.

Stewart Gethin

Postby Stewart Gethin » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:38 pm

Nice work on that Loco shed pedantic. Can't wait to see the finished piece, are you applying your video's to grand designs ;) (me being only a OO modeller this is huge.) ;)

Thanks, Stew.
Please take a look at both my layouts:
My layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28240
My 5" Gauge layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=29058

Pedanticmongrel

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:03 pm

ceejaydee wrote:That is a pretty mouthwatering sight 8)
Those Heljan O Gauge kits are tasty but it will take a few tins of Humbrol to paint!

Are you going to detail the shed interior and install pits etc. ?
I'd love to do a large scale shed scene complete with workshop, tools, stores etc...... :wink:

probably not pits, but some detailing is bound to be done, i wasn't planning on painting it either just weathering, the one on the box seems to have had that treatment and looks pretty good so watch this space.

Stewart Gethin wrote:Nice work on that Loco shed pedantic. Can't wait to see the finished piece, are you applying your video's to grand designs ;) (me being only a OO modeller this is huge.) ;)

Thanks, Stew.

thanks, I'm not sure what you mean by, 'are you applying your video's to grand designs' :(

frolly

Postby frolly » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:04 pm

i'm sure this is going to be one hell of a layout.

the detail you will be able to include in the engine shed and other buildings has no limits :mrgreen:

looking forwards to watching this thread develope!
Frolly from Derby

Pedanticmongrel

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:38 pm

I got the roof onto the shed, it's huge, here are some photos (the last one has a 00 loco in it so you 00 modellers can relate to the huge size of the shed!)

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”