Modernish in N

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Deano123

Modernish in N

Postby Deano123 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:32 pm

Hi all, this is my first attempt at designing and building any sort of layout. I have plumped for N gauge due to space and future commitments. I am looking at running trains from the early 80's through to today roughly. My layout is 10'x3' which I think is a pretty decent size.
cement works.gif
cement works.gif (15.37 KiB) Viewed 3412 times

This is the track plan I came up with, the middle extension I think is going to be some sort of industrial works to the left hand side with goods yards and maybe a small halt for the workers to be brought to work. At the top is where the main station will be placed and the sisings at the bottom of the plan will be another goods yard to the right with a small loco shed and fuelling station to the right. I know this is quite a busy plan but I like the idea of trains going round.
The baseboards are already built with some track already laid, photos to follow hopefully. I would appreciate what people think as this plan is not yet stuck in stone and ideas would be helpfull. Many Thanks

beerandpies

Re: Modernish in N

Postby beerandpies » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:42 pm

Nice run... One thing I have noticed is that there's no way to get from the inner loop to the outer loops and back without having to stop and reverse. Might possibly effect your future enjoyment of the layout?
cheers, Mark.
Scragg End

Deano123

Postby Deano123 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:56 pm

Oh yeah hadn't even noticed that, thanks alot. Any suggestion to enable a run from the inner loop to the outer ones I am going to be running mainly modern diesels and a couple of DMU's on this middle loop, the other thing I have been debating is wether to have the outer loop slightly raised after leaving the sation just to had a bit of height. Many Thanks

Durseytu
Location: Trying to make progress on the layout... pigs will fly (hohoho)

Postby Durseytu » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:05 pm

If that’s the case you could possibly consider having the outer loop on the lower side a bit further away from the inner two loops if you plan to raise it. That way you could give it the appearance of being a separate line on the lower edge.

Cheers,

Stuart.
ImageImage

Deano123

Postby Deano123 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:23 pm

cement works2.gif
cement works2.gif (15.09 KiB) Viewed 3380 times

A Little like this you mean't ? As you can see I had already thought of this, the only thing that worries me is then how close the inner section will be to the station platform on the upper outer loop. I am waiting at the moment for the rest of the track to be delivered to finish this off, both my local model shops did not have any stock grrrrr.

m8internet

Postby m8internet » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:04 pm

beerandpies wrote:Nice run... One thing I have noticed is that there's no way to get from the inner loop to the outer loops and back without having to stop and reverse

I would suggest turning the pair of points in the top right hand corner round, that way it is then possible to run continuously between all tracks
Glasgow Queen Street Model Railway layout : modern image N gauge using DCC

fratton

Postby fratton » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:32 pm

beerandpies wrote:Nice run... One thing I have noticed is that there's no way to get from the inner loop to the outer loops and back without having to stop and reverse. Might possibly effect your future enjoyment of the layout?

i di the exact same thing, nice looking plan,,,,,, you should be able to have a nice nice long very near if not prototypical hst rake running around that length,,,

one thing i found out tho during planning for my layout is that if your planning to use railfrieght/speedlink VGA's they dont like setrack points when merging from one line to another, although i must say i refuse to use the longer coupler supplied with them that may improve running over these,,,,

m8internet

Postby m8internet » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:21 pm

fratton wrote:i must say i refuse to use the longer coupler supplied with them that may improve running over these,,,,

The longer coupling works surprisingly well and allows the VGA to pass over 9" radius curves and Setrack points with ease (no need to bite nails, "Will it get over that junction in one piece")

briantwigley

Postby briantwigley » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:06 pm

Well you have an outstanding size, especially in N gauge, some serious trains here! Looking forward to more.

Ryan

Deano123

Postby Deano123 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:21 am

Thanks for the positive replys so far, when the rest of my track arrives I will look at changing those points around, I was wondering about the VGA wagons has I like the look of those and plan on having a few so knowing they will pass over my points is a weight off.

I am going to mostly model around the late 80's early 90's so was wondering about the average length of HST with coaches to try and get my station a good length, I mostly invisage a good number of freight trains running on this layout though with all those goods yards to fill, Thanks again.

m8internet

Postby m8internet » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:03 am

Deano123 wrote:I was wondering about the VGA wagons has I like the look of those and plan on having a few so knowing they will pass over my points is a weight off.

I am going to mostly model around the late 80's early 90's so was wondering about the average length of HST with coaches to try and get my station a good length

Sadly, based on your track plan, the VGA wagons will NOT work on all of them
They WILL derail on all the S shaped junctions, ie where the Setrack points are back to back
However, if you are using Streamline points then you should be OK

The length of HST would typically be 7 coaches for Cross Country or 8 coaches for all others
That would give you a typical length of about 5' / 1.5m

fratton

Postby fratton » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:31 am

m8internet wrote:
Deano123 wrote:I was wondering about the VGA wagons has I like the look of those and plan on having a few so knowing they will pass over my points is a weight off.

I am going to mostly model around the late 80's early 90's so was wondering about the average length of HST with coaches to try and get my station a good length

Sadly, based on your track plan, the VGA wagons will NOT work on all of them
They WILL derail on all the S shaped junctions, ie where the Setrack points are back to back
However, if you are using Streamline points then you should be OK

The length of HST would typically be 7 coaches for Cross Country or 8 coaches for all others
That would give you a typical length of about 5' / 1.5m

exactly why i had to take my layout back to the drawing board, now theres 2 setrack points for the main line fiddle and thats it,,,

Deano123

Postby Deano123 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:44 pm

Thanks for the advice, looks like VGA wagons are out for now then. I have relaid the points to allow trains to pass from the inner loop, this layout is mainly late 80's early 90's anyway so not sure the VGA thing is going to be a problem. I will post photos if and when my points ever arrive.

Zunnan

Postby Zunnan » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:23 pm

Personally, I would side with using Streamline pointwork wherever possible instead of Setrack. More gentle curvature helps with reliable running in general as well as allowing you to run rolling stock without wondering if it'll derail because the curves are too tight for long wheelbase vehicles. The VGA isn't the only modern wagon that has difficulty on Setrack S bends, its the worst offender by a country mile, but isn't the only one. I've also had sporadic problems with the 'new' OBA/OCA opens and Dapols Cargowaggons and Mk3 coaches

fratton

Postby fratton » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:38 pm

Zunnan wrote:Personally, I would side with using Streamline pointwork wherever possible instead of Setrack. More gentle curvature helps with reliable running in general as well as allowing you to run rolling stock without wondering if it'll derail because the curves are too tight for long wheelbase vehicles. The VGA isn't the only modern wagon that has difficulty on Setrack S bends, its the worst offender by a country mile, but isn't the only one. I've also had sporadic problems with the 'new' OBA/OCA opens and Dapols Cargowaggons and Mk3 coaches

good job i went stream line then, by the end of the week i'll have 6 dapol mk3's

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”