My 5" garden railway.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
ste234

Re: My 5" garden railway.

Postby ste234 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:05 pm

Stewart Gethin wrote:Ste, have you got any pictures of your 5" gauge stuff on here? and if so what manufacturer do you use?
Stew

Hi Stew, I created a thread not so long ago about it, I'm not fortunate enough to have a garden railway like yourself so have to use clubs tracks :wink:
Linky

50035 Ark Royal wrote:Hi Ste thanks for that and it looks like 35 hertself? but id have to look in to this.
thanks
Ian

Ian, havn't got a clue what it is but I came across it whilst looking for a loco kit a while ago, by chance I remembered it was there!
Cheers,
Ste :)
'Springfield', N gauge Modern Era Layout

Stewart Gethin

Postby Stewart Gethin » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:23 pm

ste234 wrote:
Stewart Gethin wrote:Ste, have you got any pictures of your 5" gauge stuff on here? and if so what manufacturer do you use?
Stew

Hi Stew, I created a thread not so long ago about it, I'm not fortunate enough to have a garden railway like yourself so have to use clubs tracks :wink:
Linky

50035 Ark Royal wrote:Hi Ste thanks for that and it looks like 35 hertself? but id have to look in to this.
thanks
Ian

Ian, havn't got a clue what it is but I came across it whilst looking for a loco kit a while ago, by chance I remembered it was there!
Cheers,

Damn you, i wish i had a club track i could go to, it gets a bit lonely playing on your own :(

Ste, what manufacturer you use?

Thanks again ,Stew
I will get some pics up quickly tomorrow hopefully, didn't take any tonight even though i've been working on it.. Doh..
Please take a look at both my layouts:
My layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28240
My 5" Gauge layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=29058

ste234

Postby ste234 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:38 pm

I bought mine from Abbots Model Engineering, good quality stuff, very helpful aswell!
The class 66's & 67's from there are absolute beauty's!

50035 Ark Royal

Postby 50035 Ark Royal » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:07 pm

ste234 wrote:

I bought mine from Abbots Model Engineering, good quality stuff, very helpful aswell!
The class 66's & 67's from there are absolute beauty's!

If you can use this word for that classes of engine :shock: only joking each to thier own maybe if id have been brought up with them may have a different view :lol:
Ian
Favourite Class Hoover (Class 50)
Fifty Alliance Member shares in 35/44/49
Favourite all time loco 50035 Ark Royal

ste234

Postby ste234 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:11 pm

Any 5" gauge diesel is a beauty, and the bigger the better obviously :wink:

Stewart Gethin

Postby Stewart Gethin » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:00 pm

A couple of more up to date pictures, one includes the loco/wagon as an engineers train, just to show how tall the tunnel is.
Well, Enjoy.

Bit overgrown?
Tunnel Exit.
The straight in the tunnel.
Tunnel entrance with train,(it derailed at this point, so i couldnt be bothered to push it further on. [they arent very light you know!]
Tunnel entrance, Higher angle than the above photo^, (no pun intended)

Well, Thats all for now folks, My grandad is feeling a bit under the weather at the moment so not a lot has been happening, and i have ran out of gravel to fill any more blocks up with concrete. (can't get some more without my grandad, He's knows the right sort of people.. and got the transport.)

Thanks all, Stew.

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:33 am

Hi mate

That's a splendid wee set up you've got there and I'm certain you are set for years of fun once that wee civil engineering project has been completed! Adds a new dimension to the idea of "Adding a tunnelto improve visual interest," lol! :lol:

Cheers fella

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Stewart Gethin

Postby Stewart Gethin » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:12 pm

Hey Tim, its going to provide plenty of scope for plenty of more developement to the garden, perhaps we will put doors either end of the tunnel and put the loco in there over night. perhaps not. there is a lot of things still in the clouds with this project.

But as i've said in the update, my grandad is ill. so it has been put on hold, as he is the man that is making this project go round.

But you wont be able to see the roof of the tunnel above. the only bits of tunnel you should be able to see are going to be the tunnel mouth's and the inside. (i'll keep you updated on that one, as its still up in the clouds on how we're going to cover it)

Thanks for looking,

Stew.

trainsandco

Postby trainsandco » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:53 pm

WOW....just WOW!

I have always dreamt of having something like this, and I am very jealous of you right now ;) Using the tunnel as a shed sounds like a good idea, as you said your self that the engines weighs alot and it would be a hastle just to keep taking in and out each using.

(hopefully, by the time I'm 17 (or 18 if I get back tracked :P ) i might have made a start at 2 1/2 gauge (scratch building wagons) but using one of your phrases, it still up in the clouds :D)

I look forward to seeing more updates. (Hope your grandad gets better soon-not just so we can see more pics, but its nice when people get better :D )

Ben
Henley on Thames in the 30's

Southerner in a weird place called "Yorkshire"...

81D & 55A

f1_mw

Postby f1_mw » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:18 pm

Great stuff. More of a 7 1/4" man myself, but had a 5" gauge out and back line in the back garden when I was younger with a Maxitrak Simplicity II. If I was doing it again, I'd definitely go for something from Ride on Railways.
Chris M.

Stewart Gethin

Postby Stewart Gethin » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:14 am

Thanks for the feedback guys :)

I think 7 1/2 gauge will be a bit too big for me to be honest ;)

Ride on railways, are fun, people underestimate my tiny loop in my garden.. they come round and say "is that all it is?" then they have a go at driving the loco and they loved it.... but I still get the same amount of enjoyment when i'm crashing OO trains into eachother ;)

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Stew.

trainsandco

Postby trainsandco » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:43 pm

Stewart Gethin wrote:... but I still get the same amount of enjoyment when i'm crashing OO trains into eachother ;)

I'd imagine crashing a 5" Gauge train with another 5" gauge train would do quite some damage!!!

Ben

81D & 55A

Stewart Gethin

Postby Stewart Gethin » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:48 pm

Also it'll put a big hole in your wallet!! ;)

Good news, my grandad has come home from hospital today so perhaps work on the railway tunnel will continue sometime in the near future.

Stew.

trainsandco

Postby trainsandco » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:14 pm

haha yeah, I'd imagine :P

Thats good to hear :)

Ben

81D & 55A

Stewart Gethin

Postby Stewart Gethin » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:01 am

Right then guys, The walls are complete, just waiting for the concrete inside the walls to set before putting the roof on. but the concrete has been in since saturday so it hasnt got long to go.

The train did its first complete loop this year on sunday. with a couple of attempts but getting derailed all the time, i just went for it. this loco is a seriously a gud'n if you have got a bit of wet mud, sticks going across the track etc, it will handle most of them.

Thanks, Stew.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”