Casebourne and Lidford [New Arrivals! Page 5]

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Terrier

Casebourne and Lidford [New Arrivals! Page 5]

Postby Terrier » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:32 pm

Recently was reminded of a project i started some time ago, when i was seriously nuts, but with the passage of time and stuff and what-have-you etc, i've decided to give this project a kick-start.. essentially, it's simply a small layout in a suitcase, n gauge, and hope to stick with it, while i can't be bothered with my shed layout for the time being...

Here is the offending article ...more updates soon as the project progresses/digresses/etc.

Terrier
Last edited by Terrier on Wed May 02, 2012 12:41 pm, edited 6 times in total.

craw607

Re: N Gauge Railway in a Suitcase!

Postby craw607 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:52 pm

Sounds a interesting project just hope you remember the code to open suitcase.
John

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:44 am

Bags of space! :D

Cheers
Dave

Terrier

Postby Terrier » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:09 pm

:lol: :lol: very good chaps, i've draughted a 'rough' track plan, the layout will fold open and access to either side will be facilitated by copper strips and brushes that will link up at the tunnel points between the two areas. Quite a challenge to line things up, but eh case it's self is pretty robust, so this offers a good frame to build into and onto.

suitcase rouge plan.JPG
suitcase rouge plan.JPG (67.81 KiB) Viewed 3291 times

Thank you

Terrier

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:55 am

Very interesting concept using the lid and the base for the layout. Looking forward to seeing this one progress!

Terrier

Postby Terrier » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:02 pm

Cheers Chris, i am a chris also. yep, lot's of challenge involved, my main concern, which really shouldn't be the first concern lol, is the overall aestetics of the layout, height of objects, robustness/durability and electrical concerns are also being mulled over, were ages back when i came up with the cockamaymee plan lol. more to come soon and apologies for the previous plan, seriously and most honestly, i posted the wrong (very wrong lol) version of the plan, with some interesting station names, but was purely accidental onist. :lol: :lol:

had a play with some track today, and there might not be quite the room for the yard area at privett, but some interesting alternatives are flowing through, so will hope to update as soon as can. 8)

Many thanks

Chris (Terrier)

Terrier

Postby Terrier » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:54 pm

was easier to locate the suitcase than this thread today! (quick search resolved scrawling through thousands of posts) recently been up to my eyeballs in started and unresolved projects in both n gauge and 00 ...but have swept aside and tidied up all other concerns for the monemt to concertrate again on the suitcase railway.. have managed to get base boards sussed today in this lovely warm weather we're having here on the south coast of the uk, so am hoping to get this rolling on in due course (subject to extreme delays lol)

suitcase.JPG
suitcase.JPG (49.56 KiB) Viewed 2855 times

Terrier

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:33 pm

Hi Terrier - At Warley last year there was a layout in a case, built and operated by a young lad and his Mom, with help I think from an Aunt. They expanded on the case theme by including a lot of elements from the Cluedo scenario around the station. They then challenged those watching to solve the case. The body usually turned up in one of the wagons, but you needed to work out what was where at the time to track it down. They used a hinged at the narrow end case to give terminus and fiddle yard. It was a nice model in its own right, but the built in game made it great fun.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Terrier

Postby Terrier » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:17 pm

Hiya Bufferstop, that's a nice one that, i saw a few mini layouts at Brighton this year, your idea of a guitar case instantly worked on my imagination though, tunnel entrance at the neck and a mini fiddle yard in the head, and a small industrial scene or country terminus in the body area, top stuff. with control and points, the raised base can and i hope will accomodate a couple of point motors, wiring is going to be a tad tricky, but it's one of those 'just get on with it' tasks. for the controller, i've picked up a cheap Hornby R8250 ..backwards and forwards DC controller, which should cover my needs really as i don't want (or have the space lol) for the layout to get to complicated, it will be a nice little run for my dapol terrier and maybe a speed whisker green BR DMU, 101 class maybe. had a blue one a while back and sold it on, but it was a lovely model, so am envisaging a nice crawling service through the countryside from terminus to terminus.. or i might change the plan still, as it's been a while since the last one was thought out. going to be using plenty of copper strip for the connection between the main case and the lid section, the will inevitably be a little bit of give with that, so am planning a robust connection between the two sections (time will tell on if this will be successful or not.) infact, 'robust' is going to be the key working modus operandi with the whole project. not often a word associated with N gauge lol.

Terrier

Postby Terrier » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:04 pm

Took it outside into the garden today with all this gorgeous weather, had a play about to see if my newest loc Springbok liked the minaimal curves and a GF blue ribbon mk 1.. if i can get the pointwork and track seemless, they will go round without too much hassle, littler locos and wagons, carriages etc, negociate this fine, but then i kind of knew that from about 2 years ago when i first emptied the suitcase out with this project in mind lol. rome wasn't built in a day etc.. infact, i think they are still building it? ..could be wrong. anyway, here are a couple of pics from this afternoons messing about.

sui1.JPG
sui1.JPG (78.3 KiB) Viewed 2757 times

sui2.JPG
sui2.JPG (163.01 KiB) Viewed 2762 times

sui3 springbok 1000.JPG
sui3 springbok 1000.JPG (70.83 KiB) Viewed 2756 times

if this weather keeps up, might have more done by end of today?

sishades

Postby sishades » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:20 pm

If you put a railway in your suitcase where did you put all of your luggage?
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again

Terrier

Postby Terrier » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:22 pm

:lol: wotcha Simon, all the gubbins what was in it a few years ago has gone to the four corners of the earth.. without being in a suitcase lol. when i opened it the other day after being forgotten about for quite some months, there was probably a cure for MRSA in there growing on the old bit of mdf i'd cut to fit a year or so ago... luuuuurvely!

Terrier

Re: N Gauge Railway in a Suitcase! [Break Through]

Postby Terrier » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:42 pm

Made a big break through today, well, a little break through.. set the dremmel with a spiral drill tool loose on it and carved out a hole from one side of the case to tuther. It's a bit scrappy, run a bit of flexitrack through it to see what it's like and the level/height etc is fine, just need to glue the baseboard for the lid in place with a bit of careful measuring and a spirit level, and should be well away to start figuring out the link up bit. Am thinking along the lines of two rows of copper strip on a small slide in section, filtering stock wheels into graduated rising rails from one direction and the other... here is a brief diagram, also note, australia has little or nothing to do with this device.

australia.JPG
australia.JPG (25.96 KiB) Viewed 2683 times

Some piccys of the first train through, all be it placed there and not actually moving as such.

lid suitcase1.JPG
lid suitcase1.JPG (79.77 KiB) Viewed 2687 times

lid suitcase2.JPG
lid suitcase2.JPG (57.59 KiB) Viewed 2681 times

lid suitcase3.JPG
lid suitcase3.JPG (84.52 KiB) Viewed 2680 times

more on this as it develops.

Terrier

Postby Terrier » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:14 pm

PROGRESSIVE ROCK!! ... (recommended listening, Focus and the Ground hogs!) ...anyway..

track layout is being finalised/played about with, foam layer added to the main area board for building onto as the connection between the lid and the main area is slightly raised, which is cool, as i can have a slightly raised track area and possibly a couple of bridges? ..time will tell on that one. and a quick video of my newly acquired 108 DMU, bought of Cookiescrumbles this week, top bloke, went to pick up the board he was needing out the way and got myself this lovely model, which is going to feature as the main (barring anything else i've got that can run on it) train service, to and from the lid and roundy-roundy main area. :D

VIDEO

An overview of stuff going on...
suitcase track build.JPG
suitcase track build.JPG (37.95 KiB) Viewed 2542 times

More on this as and when it happens. 8)

siquelme

Postby siquelme » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:11 pm

Layout looks good... watched the video as well was starting to wonder if a train was actually going to come.
Great Western Modeller for my sins
My Blog http://brookescastle.blogspot.com/

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”